338 magnum- What rifle will push 300 smk 3000fps

Down Under Hunter

Can anyone out there tell me what barrel length I would need to run on the 338 edge and 338-378 weatherby to get the 300 smk going 3000 fps ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 338 Edge and Lapua will not get you legit 3000 fps velocity with a 300 gr SMK with any barrel length.

A 338-378 will get you that level of performance or close to it but it will also need a longer then 30" barrel to get you there.

The Lapua Improved will get you close to this same level of velocity as well but case life will be much better with the Lapua Improved compared to the 338-378 because the norma made case is very soft.

To be honest, you will not see much difference at all between 2850-2900 fps that you can get with the Edge and the 2950-3000 fps you will get with the 338-378 in a long barrelled rifle at long range.

At ranges past 1000 yards, they are all basically the same. To get any meaningful performance improvements over these rounds you would have to jump up to the 408 CT based 338 wildcats such as my 338 Allen Magnum.

You get a 300 gr SMK loaded to 2800 to 2900 fps in a quality rifle, you will have a serious long range weapon and the Edge will do that along with the standard Lapua.

Kirby Allen(50)

Go with the 338 LM case , up to you what action you go with , a single shot will be cheaper than a repeater , also find out if you can OWN a rifle in this calibre .
A guy in WA was told NO by the local police re getting a rifle in this claibre ( Sako TRG 42 ) .

Look at maybe a twist of 1-9.7 to use with smk 300gr bullets , also a REAL good reason to use 338LM in Aussie is you can get local cases from Bertum Bullets in Aussie , good cases at a good price .

Also Aussie is as far as I am concerned is FLAT , a excellent place to shoot rifles at long range .

If you are after a repeater the XL action by Surgeon is nice , I have some on order currently , and already have some of their short actions already in NZ .

Later Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.