A slightly different question on breaking in a BBL

Thanks GG. How many of the FF bullets should I expect to use? I haven't read the instructions yet but do I only use one bullet for each grit I choose to start with or is there a reason to load several of each grit? Tryingto figure out the value (cost) of this opperation.

[ QUOTE ]
How many of the FF bullets should I expect to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the roughness of the barrel. You may only need to start with the 3rd grit, run ten of those then go to grit #4 and run 5 bullets and then finish up with 5 #5's. THere is not always a need to shoot every bullet in the kit.

4Ky. the average Rem. barrel usually takes 10 each of the #3 #4 #5 grit bullets which are 107gr Sierras,light loaded with 30.2grs of Varget or 29.4grs IMR 4064 or 32.9grs H380
shoot 10. then clean. after the number five grit I usually shoot a few plain bullets(5) to finish the job. The end result should let you have a two or three patch (Coppermelt)barrel that is fast and accurate. good luck 7mmrhb

4ky ,Ill give you my biased oppinion on before and after .
280REM. in a M70 featherweight. Before 3" groups or worse .
14 patches to get clean w/Coppermelt. Extremely rough with two constrictions. I had no choice but to run the entire 50 bullets in the kit. afterward the gun cleaned in 3 or 4 coppermelt patches and w/140nbt and 59.5grs IMR 4831 it shot nine consecutive shots into a.289" group. I was sold on Tubbs FFS after that. THIS STUFF WORKS
They're not all that dramatic of a change ,but they all change for the better. You do have to make load adjustments to account for the slick barrel , (1 to 3 grs)7mmrhb

This might be a slightly ignorant comment/question, but other than polishing the barrel, wouldn't the improvement in accuracy seen by using Tubbs FF be caused by "tuning" the barrel using this kind of "lapping/polishing" bullet? Does just manually polishing the barrel produce this kind of improvement in accuracy?

I just kind of think that using your own load with the Tubb bullets would give it a "tuned" polish that polished the barrel in just the right way--removed all hte imprefections at all the right places to make the barrel more "harmonically" uniform.

Does this make sense or am I just a little goofy and ignorant to think this?

Great info. Heck I might just do this with my .243 and .308.

The load adjustment you mentioned, was that up 1-3 gr or down? Why?

4ky, super slick barrel reduces your pressure so you have to increase the powder to get back to your sweet spot or FPS. Most of the time you can get a net velocity increase with no more pressure signs. 7mmrhb

MattR ,you shouldn't do it that way. you need to be at the appropriate speed so you don't fry your barrel from the friction. You have to keep the barrel cool,you can't rush the proccess.7mmrhb

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.