breaking in a barrel

I just don't buy into cleaning a gun so much. I like to shoot way too much. My 22-250 will shoot the same 0.35-0.50" group after ten rounds as it does after 500. It's got a Hart barrel. My 223 is a factory SPS varmint. It's always been a solid 0.5 MOA gun. My 300 WM with a Hart barrel has over 2000 rounds through it and still likes the 208 Amax the same way it did after 100 rounds and it hasn't been cleaned that much either. Maybe every 3-400 rounds.

None of the above were broken in "properly" either. My 243 AI with a Krieger barrel was "broken in" with about five shots. It was still copper fouling but I didn't mess with it any more because I lost my patience. That was over 3000 rounds ago. The throat looks like crap but it still shoots great.

I guess my point is unless the benefits of barrel break in and high frequency cleanings are proven to dramatically increase accuracy and barrel life without so much surrounding controversy I won't do it. I don't think I'm leaving much accuracy on the table and even if a clean bore will turn my 1/2 MOA gun into a 1/4 MOA gun, its still minute of gopher, prairie dog or rock which still works for me.

These are just my experiences. Maybe I'm lucky. Again, I'd rather put an extra 200 rounds downrange to make sure I can shoot as good as the gun than clean my barrel. I'm just not a guy who enjoys shooting groups that much either. Maybe I'm alone in that way if thinking.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Below is a quote from Shawn Carlock and a link to the thread. He shot a .069" 3 shot group with a rilfe that hadn't been cleaned for over 200 rounds. If memory serves me well, I don't think he does break-in either.

I was out testing some rifles a few weeks ago and had to rezero my 260 Rem after loaning it out. I grabbed the rifle up and with 200+ rounds through it without cleaning fired this 3 shot group at 100 yards. This is officially my best 3 shot group at 100 yards. While I was pleased with this I was not suprised too much as this is the same rifle I had shot a .287" 3 shot group with at 300 yards with a few years ago and won the USPSA Precision Rifle Nationals with a while back.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/my-smallest-3-shot-group-35175/
I think every barrel is different and custom barrels will likely be better shooters clean or fouled. I know my experience with breaking in factory barrels has made them easier to clean and probably increased their accuracy string. Now Buckbrush and Shawn have rifles that shoot very well going a long time between cleanings. Unfortunately, that is simply not my experience. When my rifles get fouled to a point, the groups will open way up pretty quick. I'm talking like 3 MOA from 1/2 MOA. If I don't clean my rifle at a certain point, it will spray bullets all over. Sooo, break-in is a good thing for me and cleaning at certain intervals is a requirement if I want good accuracy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure it's copper fouling. These are rough factory barrels and even the break-in could only do so much for them. Although they are easier to clean then previously, they still foul quite a bit, and when it gets to a certain level they loose all accuracy very quick.

I don't think changing bullets will help, that being said, i just started working with the all copper Cutting Edge bullets and they seem to foul faster than before, but, at this point they shoot the best. When I get a couple of custom barrels and get them nitrided, I'm guessing this whole subject will change for me.

Lately my break in procedure changed from firing and cleaning to, first bore lapping with JB, then firing rifle few times, if heavy fouling occur polishing barrel more with KG-2 , this usually gets bore to mirror like surface, shoots great after...

I have read many break in methods. This one from Weatherby was the only one I was ever able to remember. It requires two boxes of ammo.

Fire one round at a time, cleaning the barrel after each round and letting it to cool. Do this for ten rounds.

Then shoot ten three shot groups, cleaning the barrel after each group and letting it cool before firing the next group. After ten three shot groups have been fired the barrel is broken in.

All of the break in procedures yield one thing, get bore polished, it can be done by firing bullets through it or just polishing it with bore paste, the end result is smooth surface, where fouling want get stuck.

All of the break in procedures yield one thing, get bore polished, it can be done by firing bullets through it or just polishing it with bore paste, the end result is smooth surface, where fouling want get stuck.

You want to be real careful about trying to polish your bore with lapping or polishing compounds. It is possible to get a bore too polished. I've used Montana Xtreme Copper cream during break-in and seems to work OK. But I would avoid getting carried away with abrasive polishing pastes.

Yes be very careful with J-B compound, make sure you get blue one and I only would recommend using it once to start polishing process, the rest of the polishing I use KG-2 bore restore, from manufactures website quote: "KG-2 was originally developed to maintain the bore integrity of sniper rifles. Unlike most other mechanical products, KG-2 contains no ammonia and is a 1200-1400grit soft compound to remove copper and lead, while leaving the integrity of the bore. In most cases KG-2 will perform exceptionally well in removing copper and lead with quality patches, however, in some cases, nylon brushes are recommended. Based on the theory of removing the copper and lead from the lands and groves only, while simply smoothing over the impregnated copper and lead in the micro-fractures of the bore, KG-2 will help reduce the need for fouling shots and it is recommended and used by SWAT and sniper teams. KG-2 is an ideal product for fire polishing (A technique producing a finer finish than Fire Lapping)."

also I would consider recommendations by David Tubb about barrel break in, if you would like to read it its in PDF format http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/downloads/break_in_article_new.pdf
its whole different idea of polishing barrel, I think I might give it a try myself...

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/downloads/break_in_article_new.pdf

Here is a good article (IMO) on breaking in a barrel:

Barrel Break-in

If you are undecided on whether or not it will benefit you, then go ahead and follow a break-in procedure. It sure won't hurt. I break in every new rifle I purchase. I don't worry about used rifles as much but it depends on how "used" the rifle is. I use a borescope to determine my personal level of break-in satisfaction.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.