Breaking in a new barrel

steelhead613

Finally found a 300 RUM i wanted. How do i go about breaking in the barrel? Shoot it, let it cool, clean it, shoot it again. Repeat? Its my first brand new gun and i would like to get off on the right foot with it. Thanks for the help.
Andy

If its not coppering up just shoot it. If it is clean every few rounds like 5 or so untill it calms down.

If its a factory barrel it can take a noticably longer time to break in then a fine match barrel.

For match barrels, the method I recommend to customers is to load up or get 25 rounds of ammo. Take 10 of those rounds, shot and clean between each shot. After the bore is completely clean, lube with a quality bore oil and push out excess with dry cotton patch, fire again and repeat. The oil in the bore really seems to speed up barrel break in. Think of it as machining with cutting fluid as apposed to no lube, does not work well without some lube between the cutter and work piece. Same thing with barrel break in.

When your finished with this, take the last 15 rounds, shoot three and clean, lube and shoot again for a total of 5 three shot groups.

Once your done with this, I have not seen a match grade barrel that was not fully broken in.

I have seen some factory barrels that took 100 rounds before they really broke in well so it just depends on the barrels bore quality. IF its a really rough barrel, something like "Final Finish" can help with break in as well but I only recommend that on very rough barrels.

Lol he sent you a link to breaking in a barrel. Go to the shilen website. They have a good break in regimen that I use for all of my barrels no matter if factory or aftermarket. Shoot 1 clean for 5 shots then clean every 5 for the next 50. This seems to do a good job with break in.

I agree with Kirby that oil or kroil really does help. I dont think its always needed to shoot one and clean one if its not coppering up, but to each his own.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.