270wsm-Berger and Matrix

KyScott

Need to borrow some knowledge from you guys. I plan on having some custom work done on my M-70 Coyote 270wsm this year and once I have my garage built I also plan on doing some reloading. My question is will I have to have work done to my magazine box to handle the larger 270 pills that Berger and Matrix make
or will it be ok as is. Thanks ahead for the advice and take care.

As i started reloading longer and long projectiles closer and closer to the lands even in throated rifles I had a revelation. These were highly accurate target rounds that I had spent lots of time on. So I was just single feeding them. the rifles heat up fast enough anyway. You are not jacking in shells to do a rapid fire.

My other observation is that rifles in the 3000 or more foot pounds of energy just beat up the rounds in the magazine. Just put in some pointed soft points and fire off a round the front end will be flat from the recoil.

I don't have a 270 wsm to test, but I don't mod the gun to feed long rounds. For that matter I keep my hunting bullet warm inside my coat and just pull one out to use it so the powder temp creates consistent velocities. In my life of hunting I rarely every had to shoot something twice

My experience with M70 WSMs is that they have plenty of mag space to feed and function long loads. You shouldn't need to worry about it.

You will have pleanty of room with the 150 grn Bergers; can load longer than SAAMI specs. Can't comment on the 165s or anything heavier.

I don't know what kind of length restriction your working with but a 165 Matrix seated with the start of the boat tail at the base of the neck will put you about 3.1 in COAL. My Savage short action I can put one in the mag with the bullet on the freed ramp and one in the tube if need be but for the most part I single sled them.
My 270 WSM reamer is set up with .180 freebore and it's perfect for the 165 Matrix and I'm thinking it should be good for the 170gr Berger since it will be longer in front of the ogive, the 175 Matrix could us about a .200 freebore.

I don't know what kind of length restriction your working with but a 165 Matrix seated with the start of the boat tail at the base of the neck will put you about 3.1 in COAL. My Savage short action I can put one in the mag with the bullet on the freed ramp and one in the tube if need be but for the most part I single sled them.
My 270 WSM reamer is set up with .180 freebore and it's perfect for the 165 Matrix and I'm thinking it should be good for the 170gr Berger since it will be longer in front of the ogive, the 175 Matrix could us about a .200 freebore.

Ok if I have the freebore opened to .200 for the Matrix 175 will everything below that such as 90 TNT, 120 tsx, 130 Ac, 140 Ac still funtion properly. Thanks again for the help guys. The experience you guys have means a lot

My model-70, 270WSM has plenty of room for loading long, on 150 class bullets. Haven't tried any bigger ones. I've also never once had any issues what so ever with meplats being beat up by recoil. Then again, I don't shoot OTM's. Just Nosler Accubonds,& some Hornady's. Maybe some rigs don't have room? Or maybe too much room in the mag? Maybe a sloppy mag spring slowing for excess movement? Could be a number of issues at play for causing that.
You are probably gonna need a faster twist than the 10 twist for the 175's, & maybe for the 165's depending on elevation?? Bigngreen was flingin 165's with a 10 twist I think, but he was a few thousand feet ASL.
.270WSM chambered, Winchester factory rifles come witoh a 10 twist.
A more aggressive twist would work on smaller projectiles too, IF they were constructed with a strong jacket. Maybe even with j-4 jackets too, I dunno. Id think if you shoved too hard on a light constructed bullet, with an aggressive twist, you may grind em up too bad to group well.
Curious how this one gets answered.

The .180 throat is not for all around bullet shooting, works good down to a 150 Ballistic tip but with the shorter bullets it gives you a lot of freebore and they may or may not shoot.
At 800 elevation your likely not going to stabilize the 165 Matrix in a 1-10 twist, unless you rebarrel to a 1-9 twist or maybe even a 1-8.5 in your case. I wouldn't adjust the factory throat if your going to shoot a broad range of bullets.
The 110 TTSX is like lightning in the 270 WSM!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.