6.5-270wsm???

Isn't the Defiance XM action specifically built for the WSM, bottom metal for it accommodates a 3.2 COAL.

I've got a bunch of loads loaded for my little 6.5 SS with 160's and R33 :D

Defiance offers both the Medium and X Medium with the WSM bolt face I believe. I have just not had one in my hands yet to offer any meaningful review of them. That said, they make a world class receiver for sure. Their receivers are as good or better then any I have used. Just have no experience to offer with their short action receivers.

I believe the only difference between the standard Medium and X-Medium is the thread tenion length with the medium being around 1.4" long past the bolt lug supports inside the receiver and the X-Medium being around 1.9" long. From there back, I believe they are identical.

If the Seekins is out, what action would you use to build a long range hunter type 6.5wsm?

For optimum seating of the 140 VLD and you will want a COAL of about 3.000 (just measured it) so the Borden and Defiance actions will work well. If it's in the budget, those actions are the way to go. If you're interested in shooting the 130 CEB's, I'm showing a 3.070 COAL with the seal tite band right into the mouth of the case.

I built mine on a Vanguard that I picked up at a gun show for $200. The blueprint was $325 and charge for removing the barrel was $30 (they are a PITA to get off the Vanguards and Howa's). Also had a tactical bolt nob made and installed for $80. So the basic cost and smithing for the action was about $635. I was able to tune the factory trigger down to a nice crisp 1.5 lbs, but swapped it out for a 3 position Timney. I can't tell the difference between the factory and Timney. Both break nice and crisp. The allowable COAL in the Vanguard is about 3.590. I also had the action nitrided along with the barrel and it turned out real nice - black matte. Pretty much a bullet proof finish and almost corrosion proof and works real smooth. I'll post pics later, maybe tomorrow. The barreled action and bolt had to be disassembled and reassemble for the black nitirde treatment. Smithing for that ran about $100 because the Vanguard bolts are PITA the disassemble and reassemble. Howa bolts are much easier. Same basic bolt but Weatherby uses a different shroud in the Vanguard.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts