? .270

Sorry but the matrix "Match Grade" are not bonded, I have a hard time trusting a bonded bullet in match, there's is to many inclusions in the core. ,270 cal 175s and 165s will be available shortly, tested BCs at 1000 .700 for the 175s Brian will test and confirm as his time allows. Thansk, Marshal

I was able to get a hold of Matrix Ballistics and talk with them a little, sounds like they are getting close to putting out the heavy .277 cal bullets. They are recommending the 1-8 twist right now but it will be interesting to see, sounds like he has some out for testing and they are doing good.

Roy, .090 does seem a little blunt the Bergers are .061 in the .277 I believe, maybe someone will come up with a way to stick little brass points in them :D:D

I guess I'm on another list for high BC .277 cal bullets :rolleyes: I tell ya what if I was not giving my life savings to the hospital right now I would be ordering stuff from Corbin!!!
They are not on the site yet, meplat is .057 and built with Niemi carbide dies. Corbin also has very good stuff. Marshal

Thanks for jumping in marshal! Can't wait to see them, are you getting any feed back as far as terminal performance at long range or is are most of your testers shooting them in target applications?

They are not on the site yet, meplat is .057 and built with Niemi carbide dies. Corbin also has very good stuff. Marshal

Yes, marshall, thanks for jumping in.

During my investigations into doing it myself I priced those and some other dies. I pretty much choaked.:rolleyes: Am rootin' for your success.

bigngreen: its a good thing you're not spending your $ on corbin items. I'm confident it would, as it almost did me, take you down a road of gloom, dispair, agony and many days of chunking out bullets rather than spending the time outdoors. I came so close to buying Richard's lock-stock & barrel.

My next route was to contact benchrest die makers who make their 30 cal br bullets on Lee presses. The Lee portion was in my range. The dies were two and a half thousand dollars. Corbin's are a lot less and seem to have their problems.

I'm kinda thinking that right about now Paul thinks he has a tiger by a little bit below the tail.:D

PS: The secret is not 're-pointing' but point forming. This Richard had down to perfection also.

Just a quick aside here, guys; meplat diameter does have a relationship to both bearing surface, weight and ogive length. The reason for this is how they're knocked back out of the die. It's done via a small piece of piano wire rod that comes up through the tip of the die, and contacts the meplat to push it back out of the form die. In other words, the smaller the meplat, the smaller the knockout rod. Once we start getting down to the .060" mark, that's a tiny little rod tying to force a bullet back out of a die, and it may be pretty firmly wedged in there. Match that up with a press that's running 60-80 strokes a minute, and bad things can happen fast. A little too tight, and the rod just crumples, leaving the bullet in the die and subsequently trying to seat another bullet on top of the one that's now stuck. Wrecks the press, may shatter the rather expensive carbide die. If the hollow point is a bit too open, or the jacket a few thou too short, the punch goes up and spears the lead core, again sucking it back into the die and giving you a loud, expensive crunch.

It's a universal problem, and virtually all bullet makers have their own way of dealing wth this. Point is, there's limitations here with the current state of the art technology. As it (the technology) improves, the meplats may become smaller, simple as that.

Is a 3 twist necessary, or will a 5R work as well? Asking because I have a 5R 1 in 9 twist 26" barrel.

the bullets paul sent me were shot out of a 5r barrel I have some of Richards last run before he sold out & the new bullets Paul sent were almost identical a little longer but out of my gun I was on @ 500 & @ 930 yards they shot great out of my gun.
I am very excited to see these matrix bullets. A .70 bc is good im running .75 on exbal & .77 on Bryans programme with the wc 169's thats @ 5000'

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.