270 win velocity question?

My Win 70 stainless 24" Bbl. Right out of the Barnes manual. 24" Bbl, 59.5grs Rel 19 with Barnes 130gr TSX, 3211 fps. This is right on the money with what my chrono shows for velocity in my rifle. Fastest safe load I have found for the 130gr TSX. No pressure problems of any kind & excellent case life. I can neck size only for several shots & primer pockets stay tight....

One of my 270 sports a 24 inch cm,1/10 Krieger bbl , she dotes of RL/22,among others , never tryed RL/26 ,have 25 never tryed it yet had a shoot off between rl22&rl23 with the new then 145 eldx bullet,same cases,primers ,same col 25 thou off , same day shoot RL/23 beat RL/22 by 79 fps . Temp was 65 degrees . Same day had another shoot off same rifle as above only change 150 Hornady sst again same everything powder as above ,etc,etc ,etc,again RL/23 won by 120 fps , crnograph used was my Great Friend 35P Oehler . Yeah love the 270 wcf & the 270 WSM also , cheers

270 win.JPG
Am I safe to reveal the load I've been using for 24 years in my Model 70?
View attachment 145497
Have to go, but this evening the story comes out. Just don't jump to contusions folks; many witnesses, print-outs, and photos to back this up. I wouldn't believe it myself... DO NOT DUPLICATE THIS LOAD WITHOUT STARTING AROUND 52 GN.

Last edited:
You don't load Barnes bullets to the same Max charge as jacketed bullets. Barnes has free load data online. Just go to the site and look for your cartridge.

Not using Barnes bullets.

Sorry, my bad. When you said you had the Barnes I thought you said you loaded them with the same charge.

My turn to be embarrassed, I did shoot Barnes bullets but they were 130g tsx, and I threw them in for velocity comparison purpose, kind of validating the Chrono. And for some reason I thought you said Berger... So double doh! :rolleyes:

You don't load Barnes bullets to the same Max charge as jacketed bullets. Barnes has free load data online. Just go to the site and look for your cartridge.
I have a Barnes book but it's just old enough to not have tsx bullets, but I did go to website and get current load data for the 130tsx. I think I was within 1 grain of the to load with the powders I had on hand-at least the ones I wanted to try.

My Sako A7 Stainless likes the Barnes TTSX 130 and 54.5 grains of H4350 and Fed 215 primers at 3144 velocity. 1/2 MOA. It also likes 46 grains of Varget yielding 2880. IMR 4350 gave me good groups with FED 215s and WLRM primers but at a slightly lower velocity than the H4350.

Forgot my speeds with the Eldx145 ,RL /22vsRL23 ,3,005 fps & 3084 fps . With the 150sst&rl/22,.....2940 fps n with RL/23,.....3060 fps. My Max reload with the Eldx 145 ,same case , primer ,but diff/col , jumped .74 thou,produced 3135 fps ,again same day ,same outside temp of 65degrees .

After calculating losses for barrel length and lower powder charge my Chrono probably had an error of +50-75fps. Using Barnes velocity data and comparing to my own measured data from this shooting session. Realizing of course that the velocity curve may not be linear and quite possibly parabolic or exponential. Maybe it's only doing 3080fps.

Over the last 30 years of hunting deer with a center fire rifle (various 270 Winchesters); I have had various speeds with the same load. 110 grain Speer Hollow point, AA 3100, WLRM, and Norma brass. I have had varied speeds from 3,410 to 3,590 FPS+. I no longer can get AA3100 which I loved and most of my 270 Wins loved. now I have to use H4350, H4831, and some other powders. I have not settled on a powder yet, but the Alliant Reloader series has never been good to me and my rifles. so I shy away from them. If you all want to talk temp sensitive powders, lets talk; the worlds worst powders for temperature sensitivity is Vihta Vuori out of Finland. That was the 270 Winchester powder everyone in my little town used. so I fell into that trap too. in the fall/winter you would formulate a good round, then in early season warm/extremely warm weather hunts you would see flowed back primers and pierced primers and holes cut in your primers. that is the difference between 45 degrees and 95 degrees with VV powders.
here is the load data I used for my 110 grain slugs with N-165 VV powders and my true velocity between winter and summer.
Speer 110 grain slug, 61.5 grains of N-165 powder (max was at that time 62.0, now 61.7), magnum Winchester LR primer, Norma cases.
My Ohler chrono stated 3,450 FPS, STD Dev. was 8 FPS. (45 degree day)
same everything but summer time (95 degree day)
Ohler stated the rounds were going 3,590 FPS. S/D was 29 FPS
I stopped using VihtaVuori powders.
My 270 Win and 270 WSM's love Hodgdon's powders, they like a Ramshot powder, they tolerate a precisely metered & weighed IMR powder or two.
The last time I used an Alliant Reloader series powder my gun would not pattern better than improved cylinder. I stopped using the RL powder and gave it away to a friend.

I haven't yet read the responses to my earlier post; I can only imagine! So, here's the rest of the story:

Huge ES, but accurate for a sporter hovering around a MOA and it's the only load that equals the wife's Pre-War M70 270 in accuracy. Lesser loads tighten the ES, but present larger groups and this I've tried many times through the years.

Model 70 #514xx holds--still--inch groups using H4831 and H4831SC. It does the same with 59 GN of RL22. It also duplicates the group spread when lighter loads are used. Rifles came and went and none measured up to this 1942 Model 70 (made from 1941 parts). However, my conscience bothered me using my deceased father-in-law's favorite rifle that he left for his daughter. So in 1994 I had a ready and willing excuse to buy one of the (then) new "Classic" M70s, but like the ones before it had to equal the accuracy of the old. It didn't. Until well along in the search for the load that just might.

Barnes First Edition showed RL22's max at 61 grains, but working up was a descent into sloppy... However, in for a penny in for a pound, I went the distance and there at the max load came the equal--using 150 Noslers that I was "using up." I used 140 GN Barnes TSX as a standard hunting bullet in the old timer so this newbie had to check out with those. It did. And, 25 years later--and nearly 600 rounds--it still delivering lethality. A few years ago I met a fella living in Fairbanks who probably likes to shoot as I do. I now had (have) a witness who's shot this rifle. He's also remarked on its abundance of recoil--and its accuracy. Bullets and barrel are, like my ELR rifle, processed with hBN which is the only "cleaning" fluid I use in every barrel. I get on average 14 firings per brass (Federal & Winchester) before signs of instability present. In 2013, with another friend present, I had two pierced/blown primers which the M70 handled nicely--gasses vented down through the magazine. Both of those brass were on their 18th firing. It's been the demise of double digit bucks, bears, and bulls, shows little wear--bolt is super smooth though--in spite of some extremes, like total submergence and remaining in my trap sled down to -70 while I toasted me bones very close to the wood stove.

Its been a great rifle and remains so. You're right; I've been wanting to tell this experience for a very long time.

Read the responses; no-where near as "bad" as I thought. Pleased.

However, and I should have included the following in the second. The "youngster," #G9449xx, is still original and that is with its 24" barrel.

Bear season here doesn't end. When they're in your face game laws ain't. I don't hunt them anyway--just too much work and too little meat. Neither does caribou, but I don't hunt them unless they're here (always moving) which is usually January-April--if we're lucky. That's why the chilly temps and why I don't load my rifle until I'm ready to shoot; loads travel inside my inner coat. Not the same June through September; bears and bulls can be so impatient...

I really enjoy bear hunting alcesgigas. And if prepared correctly the meat is delicious. I guess where you live, where ever that is, they are considered varmints! Heck I'd come up there and try and bring a truckload home with me.

Here is an Argentine 98 Mauser that loves 130 gr Sierras at 58.0 gr of Re22, 3100 fps. Good hunting load for family and friends. My grandaughter popped her deer last year with this at 275 yards. For that shot we were using Barnes factory ammo in 270 130 grains, but the Shilen barrel spits both rounds at almost the same POI.

Attachments

• 20190817_122907.jpg
    20190817_122907.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.