270 Win load question

gabby

I just got a old rifle rebarreled to 270 Win. I've never reloaded for 270 before. I'll be shooting 140 gr Nosler ab's out of a 24" barrel. I'd like to use either H-4831 or H-1000. I know 4831 is a go-to powder. Is there any advantage in velocity or accuracy with one or the other? Please enlighten me. Mike

just like anything else load em up and try them. h4831 shoots little slower in my gun but is more accurate. i mainly use RL 22 and IMR 4350.

Gab,
It's been a few years since I owned and loaded for the .270Win. Great cartridge that has endured the test of time and the Magnum and Short Magnum craze. I remember that I mostly shot the 130gr Ballistic Tip with 53.0gn of IMR4350 and CCI BR2's. It was extremely accurate. I looked it up in both the Nosler 5th and 6th edition reloadiing manuals and that is the middle load.
Best velocity with the 140gr is obtained with W760 (in their test barrel), 53.0gn @ 3018fps. I've never shot much of W760, I've tried it but didn't favor it at all. I may one day own another 270Win and if so I would try RL22/RL25/IMR & H4350/IMR & H4831/AA3100 and maybe the new Winchester powder W780(?). Nosler also list RL19/IMR7828/Hunter. I wish you luck! JohnnyK.

Hi guys; I guess there's a couple things I failed to mention. I want to go with a Hodgon extreme powder for temperature swings here in Montana. My hunting rifle of choice is at the gunsmiths waiting for the barrel which is supposed to be shipped to him tomorrow or Tues. I'll be lucky to get it in two weeks (the start of deer and elk season). As time is getting short, it looks like the 270 is going to be my main squeeze this year. What I plan to do is pick one powder (for now), break the barrel in, and go for the best load I can get in a short amount of time. When I looked at the Hodgons website it listed H-1000 and a 140 gr. bullet as the fastest- 2979 @ 63.0gr. and H-4831- 2888 @ 58.0 gr. At nearly 100 fps faster it seems like H-1000 might be worth checking into. Being a conservitive I'm leaning towards H-4831 (tried and true). Does anybody use H-1000? Thanks Mike

Mike, I have loaded the 270 for quite a few years. It is my favorite caliber.

I have not loaded the 140 AB over H1000, but I did with the 140 btip. Accuracy was very good, even better than the H4831SC, but I was also in a crunch for time prior to a hunt in another state.

Curiously, when I did load the AB, it did very well with the 4831SC, IMR4350, IMR4831, and Re19, but not as well with H1000.

I cannot recall the charge, but I know it was very near if not max in my rifle. I do remember the bullets were seated .040 off the lands.

That said, if you are in a real crunch, then use the 4831SC. It is a tier one powder for the 270. If I remember correctly, I've taken 33 big game animals with the AB bullets including deer, antelope, bears, and hogs, and a few coyotes. These varied b/w 270, 7mm, 30, and 338 cal.

I'm thinkin' you'll see velocity spreads even with the H Extreme powders.

I'd also think that H-1000 is a bit slow for the 270 Win.

I load for 3 different 270 Wins. Two with 22" barrels and one w/a 27" Lilja.

I put 57.5 gr of RL-22 in the short barrelled ones, and they shoot 140 Bergers really well. My chono toasted so I don't know the MV.

For the Lilja barrel I load 58.5 gr of RL-22 and 140 Hornady BTSPs for 3200 fps.

FWIW.

Well guys; I've taken to heart everything you've said. I kind of added everything up, divided by four and came up with this: can't go wrong with H-4831, and I would try or I use R-22. To tell you the truth, I don't know if the extreme powders are all that there cracked up to be. I do know a max load of W760(22-250) developed in winter, caused a sticky bolt lift in early summer. I was hoping the Hodgons extreme powders would be one less thing you have to worry about. Roy; I live in Helena MT. While you live due south of me, you probably have similar weather as us. If R-22 works well there, it should work here too. I think what I'm going to do is try R-22 and H-4831. I'm going to load about 15 or maybe 20 each, run out to the range, and give it my best shot. Oh, I almost forgot, I planned on using WLR primers with the H-4831. I assume these will work well with R-22? Thanks Mike

Last edited:
With RL-22 in the Winny don't use magnum primers.

Changing from CCI 250s to CCI 200s shrunk ES and dropped group size from 3/4" into the teens.

I develop loads for 60* temps and leave it there. I seem to hit yotes pretty well in temperatures in the teens. However max range has been just under 500 yards. I would suppose that farther out there would be a difference in drop.

With RL-22 in the Winny don't use magnum primers.

Changing from CCI 250s to CCI 200s shrunk ES and dropped group size from 3/4" into the teens.

I develop loads for 60* temps and leave it there. I seem to hit yotes pretty well in temperatures in the teens. However max range has been just 500 yards. I would suppose that farther out there would be a difference in drop.

I want to thank everyone for your advice. I have some CCI 200's on hand so I'm going to start there. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again Mike

I helped two friends with 270's (140grn accubonds too) and both ended up shooting very well with 58-59 grains of H4831SC. I think one of them is using CCI 200's and the other CCI 250's. Not 100% sure about the primers, so be careful and work up. Both guns had significantly better accuracy as they approached max loads.

My vote is for H4831 short stick using about 58 grains with your 140 gr accubond bullet. The .270 is super easy to reload and that load (work up to it) with perhaps some small adjustments in OAL should shoot well as you are pressed for time. Good Luck!

We are all in agreement on H4831SC at 58gr. with the 140 AB. This load shoots well in several rifles. If you have some 4350 try 51-54 gr with the 140.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.