270 win velocity question?

I needed to load some rounds for my 270 Rem 700 mountain rifle, 22" barrel. Been shooting 130g Speer lately but have some 130g Barnes tsx and ttsx as well as some Nosler 130g BT. In the past I have used the Hornady 140g BT and have a box of those on the shelf. I already had an established load for the Hornady bullets so I loaded up some of those to see if they still shoot. The load: 59g of RL22, cci200, seated .030 off lands with a length of 2.795 using the Hornady comparator. Velocity on my chrono was 3150-does that seem true? That's my question, could that be the actual velocity? Other loads I shot at same time and with same chrono setup were same 140g bullet with IMR 7828 at 58 2885-2900fps 3 shots and 58.5 grains with vel of 2950-2990 130g Barnes TSX using IMR 4831@56grains for velocity of 2995-3010 4 shots, and [email protected] grains with velocity 2950-3000 5 shots(but only 2 registered on the chrono).

The 3150 velocity repeated at the end of the session-I shot 3 rounds first and at end shot 3 more with same velocity so it's consistant.
It doesn't matter what that Chrony says you need to shoot at 400-500 yards and verify that Chrony number. Chronagraphs get you on the ball field. I've never had one that was exactly on and didn't need a little tweak in the velocity to get the right hold over corrections. That's using the Chrony brand and a Magneto Speed. The Magneto Speed has been better but still usually requires a some tweaks to my G7 data setup to get consistent dial up corrections. Maybe that new Lab Radar would be spot on but I'd still go shoot longer ranges to verify the data.

I have a Savage 110 in 270, that said, I load H4350 using a 130gr. TTSX and my average velocity is right around 3100fps. Using a 110gr TTSX and the same powder, I get just under 3,300fps.

I believe them to be as accurate as any other chronograph, as long as the same one is used to compare different loads. Using 3 different make or model chrono will probably give 3 different velocities. I will say that it was a sunny day, late afternoon, had the diffusers mounted for most of the shooting except on the last 3 shots, after the first shot the nearside diffuser flew off with Vel of 2995. The next two shots were 3550 & 3545. So yes light can play havoc with the readings :)

I agree with your assessment that the Crony is a decent piece of gear and, from my LONG and, personal experiences with them, reliable and accurate. I've even gone so far as to borrow my Buddy's Crony (he has a less accessory rich model whereas mine has the remote printer, etc.) and on shooting across both, side by side and from same batch of assembled ammo, the readings were all well within the typical margin for error readings (keeping in mind that ALL ammo, hand-built of factory loaded will have slight and subtle differences in velocity, etc.), so I'd pronounce them quality gear when cared for properly.
Would I Love to own a Labradar??
Oh, HE*L YES!!
But I'm in my sunset years of existence and it would be foolish to buy that unit with all the (pretty much required) accessories and not have anyone to leave it to when I'm planted. Same as my guns, really.
(Well, those that didn't sink with my canoe. 200 miles off the coast. During a hurricane. You catch my drift. LMAO
So while there ARE better devices to record the data we desire, saying the Crony line isn't worth a hill of beans isn't rooted in fact for the most part.
Sure, some come from the factory defective. "S" happens and lemons make it out, but on the whole, for the money and used within the constrains we are all aware of, they can be viable for providing the data we desire to help us in our quest for the most identical loads we can humanly build.
Just this Old Curmudgeon's $0.02 on the subject.

I have always used Chrony, now use a Beta but I also will shoot out to 500yds to check my accuracy/drop. I don't normally shoot at an unwounded animal past 300yds. 375 gives me the willies, but I can do it.

I USE RL17 and Hammer 145 grain bullets and get excellent accuracy. I know velocity is in the 2950-3000 range and its a bit tempeture sensative but you can't beat the accuracy. I'm getting 100-150fps more with RL17 as opposed to H4350 or H4831.

Last edited:
I will add that I still really like rl22 in my 270. I just work up the max load in the summer, never the winter now. I too have gotten best velocity with 140 hornady interlocks with this exact powder. I was clocking 3080 fps out of a 22 inch tube in -20 Celsius weather, no problems. Come summer, had some problems and was probably running similar if not higher velocity than op. I was using 60 grains in Winchester brass with federal primers. Very accurate too.

You may want to try either RL16 or RL26 in your .270. I switched to RL16 for the Hornady 145 ELDX and getting same or better velocities with no pressure plus temp stability. I am just starting some RL26 loads as well and they show real promise.

That is exactly same load my Dad uses, except different bullet.
In his 22" barrel, best we could get was 2895fps with 140gr Accubonds.
Awesome results on deer with those, but for our large Sambar deer here, we prefer the 150gr Partition @ 2850fps.

RE22 is very good in the 270, faster bullet speed than most other powder, but is quite temp sensitive, as I found in my 25-06. Winter loads were fine, but in summer those same loads blew primers.

Cheers.

With my .270 Win. Loads i can get 3,000fps with a 145gr.- ELD-X loaded with about 59gr of H4831sc

This discussion got me curious, so I checked my loading log for my criterion barreled 270. I was getting 3250 FPS with 60 gr of Superformance and LRM primers with 135 gr Match Kings. 1/2 MOA accuracy. I've since moved on from the 270 and Superformance. Still love the gun. Not so much the powder.

I have 2 rifles that like the Rl17 an Rl22. Both push the bullets out there 200 to 300 fps faster than anything else without pressure signs.
In your post you compared it to your dads. I have 2 savage 6.5x284. Both the exact same rifle. Neither can push a 140 over 2850 with 4831sc. One likes retumbo 2940fps 10 fps deviation and the other likes h1000 3110 12 fps deviation.
I imagine one is throated out a little more than the other.

I stopped using the RL line due to chasing the availability. But couple of my buddies that shoot the 270 swear by it and are getting results you are.
Just depends on what your rifle likes to eat.
Make sure the chrono is on and if it's accurate, congrats on finding the optimum load without having to develop it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.