270 Win load question

I'm with Roy on this one RL-22 and with that Hornady 140 BTSP it is just awesome. I use this load in 3 different Rem700's and 2 Win 70's. any where from 58gr up to YOUR rifles max.

Changing to different primers to find the ones that work best is the only way to get maximum performance of that load in your rifle but start with a large rifle first. An old trick was to which from standard large rifle in higher temp to a mag primer in <40 deg temps.
This can eliminate the temp extreme you refer to,...SOMETIMES. Your rifle will tell you. Get a chronograph too.

Well guys, alot has transpired since I last posted. I'll try not to take the long way around the barn here. About last Wed. I discovered I forgot to order a Stoney Point comparator and shell case in 270. Ordered 'em, should be here Tues. Gunsmith ( Kevin Weaver, Colo.) called Friday and tells me my 25-06AI sould ship out next Tues. Life is good! We talk and I tell him about the 270. It appears that when the 140 gr. AB is seated just off the lands, (the ole smoke and magic marker method) the bottom of the bullet looks to be about 3\32" below where the shoulder and the neck meet. 3375 touch-3360 no touch- OAL. He told me to send it back and I probably will...after deer and elk season. We talked a little about powders and he said he uses RE 22 in his 270AI. At this point whatever load I pick won't mean much as next year I'll have it rethroated and everthing will change. Do any of you seat bullets this deep? Mike

My 1st 270 Win was a Rem M700 BDL purchased in 1981. The load I settled on was a Seirra 130 gr SBT, RP brass, CCI-200, and 55.9gr IMR-4350. Later that load was crono'd at 3003fps out of the factory 22 inch barrel.

I have also had good success using the Nosler 160 Semi-Spitzer with that rifle for a dark timber elk hunting load. I used H4831 in that load. This is an awesum load for close encounters under 200 yds.
5 yrs ago I sold that M700 - big mistake!

I have since replaced that 270 with a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Win, This rifle developes pressure at lower muzzle velocities when using H4831. It was interesting that one fellow said he was getting best accuracy, but got lower velocities using H4831 too. I ended up settling on 59.6 grs of H4831 under a Seirra 130 gr SBT at 2950 fps in the Tikka. I am thinking I will give IMR-4350 a try once again and see how the Tikka likes it. I did make a 386 yd one shot bang flop kill on my buck this year. Last year I only had to reach out 80 yds.

This year I helped a guy get a 3pt buck off the hill that he shot with a Federal Premium factory load using a Nosler 140gr AB bullet. The performance was excellent. leaving a 1.5" exit hole in the opposite shoulder. I was very impressed with the post-mortum analysis. He said his deer was a bang-flop too.

Anyways, the bottom line is these 5 powders seem to get the most "PR" with the 130 to 140 gr 270 Win reload info: IMR-4350, H-4350, IMR-4831, H-4831, & RL-22. I have also heard claims that WW brass has slightly higher capacity as compared to RP brass. You will be exceedingly pleased with that 140gr AB.

Good Luck,

Well guys I went out to the range last Friday and again yesterday. Friday I took out - H-4831 23@56 3 ea of 57, 58, 58.5, and 59 gr. I also had 3 ea of 5 loads in RL22. I can't tell you what they were as I pulled the bullets and threw the card away. All bullets were seated .005 off the lands. My 25-06AI came in so I took it and 50 fire-forming and loads. Of the 23- 270 rounds in 56 gr. 10 were 1 shot and clean the rest were for fouling shots and one 3 round group. At the first shot I noticed stiff recoil. Over the next several shots I kept checking the primers. I noticed they were getting on the flat side but also if you look at the firing pin indentation, on some there was a slight rise (like a little burr sticking up) along the edge. I shot a 3 shot 1 1/8" group (the best) . Then I shot 3 of the 57gr. Talk about RECOIL. The primers were just about if not flat. I quit and went home. I pulled all the bullets and reloaded with the bullets .020 off the lands. Yesterday I shot groups from from 54 to 55.5 gr. Even at 54 gr. It seems like it kicks harder than with the 30-06 barrel that was on it before. My smallest group was about 2 1/2". I think I'm going to have to break down a buy a chronograph. I'm going to put the rifle away until spring. I haven't given up on it. I'm just short of time. I am going to call my gunsmith and ask his thoughts about it. Have any of you ever experienced max loads in your rifle well below the reloading manuals max loads? Thanks Mike P.S. All is not gloom and doom I'm going start a new thread - 25-06AI range results.

It sounds as though you have a min spec chamber in your rifle. Meaning that the 'smiths reamer is made to the 'smaller side' chamber dimensions of the .270Win. This is really a normal practice as it allows for the obviously tighter tolerance to be maintained between brass and chamber especially if you shoot factory cartridges. This make for a more accurate rifle (suppose to). Talk to your smith and I'll bet it (reamer) is min spec'd.
Yes to your question on reaching max pressure prior to max load published. But not in any of my factory barreled rifles only my custom min spec'd chambered barreled rifles. You might want to try one of the 4350's in that 270.
I still luv that RL-22 w/that 140 bullet though in my factory rifles! and lastly you NEED a chronograph, otherwise how do know where you are velocity wise...certainly not the book numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.