.270 win to .35 whelen

If one's what you've got, or can have there's a lot you can learn from a standard .270. Instead of gunsmith tools, start or advance your reloading. Instead of a new barrel, maybe look in to a good scope and mounts. Next year replace a stock, and maybe the year after add something else.

I like the .35 Whelen a bunch, but there is very little you can't do with a .270 and quality bullets tailored to the task.

The 270 win aspect is fine with lead core bullets. The challenge is that the forced conversion to copper bullets means that I am limited to around 100 ish grains CEB or maybe 130 gr. gmx, which (according the specs) will barely stabilize unless I really push the velocity to up the rpms.

In total, roughly 3 - 4 viable bullets and 1/2 of those are nearly repeats. Maybe this is good, I just pick one bullet, reload 3 velocities and go home if they won't work. Who cares about the $ 1 000 spent on a license and getting to the hunt ? (that's light humor BTW, not to insult anyone)

Maybe I am just old school, but in my mind, 100 ish grain = varmit round, not hog or black bear round unless you are a really good shot and a calm person. I am - well, less than this.

Just for fun I have been watching ammo and supplies availability for various rounds like 338 (various) 35 whelen, 358 win, and 375 types. It is amazing how much this varies day to day, and how many more options exist at 338, 9.3, and 375 types than 35 caliber. A number of firms build rounds up to 338, and others start at 9.3, skipping 35 caliber completely.

Maybe I should take the hint and just find a moderate 375 type setup that won't break my shoulder. :)

The 270 win aspect is fine with lead core bullets. The challenge is that the forced conversion to copper bullets means that I am limited to around 100 ish grains CEB or maybe 130 gr. gmx, which (according the specs) will barely stabilize unless I really push the velocity to up the rpms.

In total, roughly 3 - 4 viable bullets and 1/2 of those are nearly repeats. Maybe this is good, I just pick one bullet, reload 3 velocities and go home if they won't work. Who cares about the $ 1 000 spent on a license and getting to the hunt ? (that's light humor BTW, not to insult anyone)

Maybe I am just old school, but in my mind, 100 ish grain = varmit round, not hog or black bear round unless you are a really good shot and a calm person. I am - well, less than this.

Just for fun I have been watching ammo and supplies availability for various rounds like 338 (various) 35 whelen, 358 win, and 375 types. It is amazing how much this varies day to day, and how many more options exist at 338, 9.3, and 375 types than 35 caliber. A number of firms build rounds up to 338, and others start at 9.3, skipping 35 caliber completely.

Maybe I should take the hint and just find a moderate 375 type setup that won't break my shoulder. :)
I have a pair of 270 win's (one tikka and one Marlin) and both do well with 130 grain mono bullets. My tikka shoots the 130 barnes mrx into 1" at 200 yards and my marlin will stay sub moa with the 130 gmx. I've plowed the 130 mrx pills into heavy prairie dirt at 200 yards and dug them out to have them weigh 128-130 grains after washing them. I wouldn't hesitate to put either one through a mule deer buck.
As to your 35 whelen idea, I have one also and it is a hoot. My brother shot a big mule deer doe with it when he owned it and it was a bang/ flop; we use the 220 speer fp bullet in the rifle. I also have a 375 h@h, and while a 375 is by far the hardest hitting of any caliber mentioned in the thread, you will need to buy a heavier rifle like a cz and put a good pad on it for it to be mild on your shoulder. My lightweight rem700 ( 8# scoped) will actually scoot you back in prone shooting its 300 tsx bullets.

If it is just "something different" with more power that you are looking for, you might want to consider the 270 Sherman chambering. This would simply mean cleaning up the chamber that you have with a Sherman reamer which gives you about 10% more case capacity than a std. 270. This would be an inexpensive conversion and you would have near 270 WSM performance. "CogburnR" (this forum) did that and some others are considering it.........Rich

Gotta agree with Rich... The Sharman's are awesome. I'm fixing to be building a .300 Sherman off the exact dame rifle the OP has. My local store is holding me a 1986 model 700 ADL .270 they got in, until I can get over to pick it up.

It will become my .300 Sherman build. Which is basically a improved .30-06 Ackley Improved. Kind of a mind-screw, but you get it. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.