.35 Whelen

Anyone presently shooting a rifle in 350 Whelen caliber? I think Id like to try one to fill in a serious gap for me.

Thanks

Yes and I love it excellent killer but not so much in vogue here with the long range guys . Kills as good as the 338 win without the recoil in a same weight rifle. 225 Ab's over Rl-15 have killed moose and elk for me without issue and have not shot one twice. Trajectory wise pretty close to the good old 30-06 with 180's but way more thump at the receiving end just not a real long range round 300-350 is practical with and accurate rifle and enough trigger time. Will the 338 win reach farther? Yes for sure it will but it don't kill any better at the same ranges for the increase in snappy recoil.

Get it if you want it you will not be unhappy with its performance once you find an accurate load with a good bullet in a good rifle

I don't personally. I guy I used to work for, who had a rifle for every occasion, used a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved for his aoudad rifle.

I'd like to have a 338-06 or 35 Whelen. (AI either of those because, why not?)

I don't need one. . . .
I'm putting together a 6.5 SS for a deer/antelope gun, and I have an 8mm Rem Mag for bigger stuff. . . .
But what I need and what I want are not necessarily the same thing. 35 Whelen is a cool caliber that'd be nice to have just for the heck of it.

I have on in a Rem 700 and all I can say is it's Thor's hammer! I shoot the Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with 225gr TSX

I was wanting to have one built-up for me. Something to toss a heavier slug than my 300 WinMag.
Just wondering what weight bullets you want to go up to? if you go 1-16 twist you are good to 250 grain bullets if you want to go with more weight like up to 280-300 you will probably want to go with a 1-12" perhaps a 14 would also work ok. Not a very popular cartridge and tough to find in a factory rifle which is a shame. I only know one other guy personally who has one he is my taxidermist has the exact same rife I have Rem 700 cdl with a 24" tube. His is stock mine has a timney trigger and is bedded and floated. He shoots the Barnes TSX 200's I shoot the 225 AB's although I am on the prowl for some 200 TTSX's for mine.

I had read quite a lot about the Whelen and thought it was interesting, well one day I was in one of my local gun shops having coffee and shooting the breeze with one of the older guys behind the counter and the 35 came up in the convo and would you know they had just gotten one in. So I walked out with it rings bases and glass and 2 boxes of factory ammo. Factory rem 250's were poor but gave me some trigger time and a barrel break in. Had dies and bullets a couple of weeks later and have not looked back since. Mine is really long throated so I am up over the published max for RL-15 and the 225 AB's but I have no pressure issues and long case life. I can usually now keep 5 in an inch or less on a regular basis at 100 yards.

Having one built is probably just the ticket as you will get exactly what you want.

I was wanting to have one built-up for me. Something to toss a heavier slug than my 300 WinMag.

I have 35 WhelenAI used Kreiger 1/14 twist barrel @ 24". I did have it throated little longer for the 225gr AB,250gr Partition,225gr TSX.

I did what you want to do and I don't hunt with it every year but nice to have it. I think standard 35 Whelen good case also. I tried lot of powders and R-15 be good one for my rifle.

Well good luck

My cousin has one, with the 225 accubond it is similar (slightly better) in wind drift and drop to the 308 win with 175smk. Has 1500ftlb of energy and 1700fps (if you consider, like many, 1500 to be a min for elk) out to 500yards. Around a thousand ftlb at 700 yards. Has about 61in of drift in a ten mph cross at 700yd.

Punches above its weight, energy wise, because of the diameter of the bullet in my opinion.

I have on in a Rem 700 and all I can say is it's Thor's hammer! I shoot the Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with 225gr TSX
Mine has been named Thor's Hammer when I bought it it in 1989, after first hunting season. Many whitetail since. One on November 30 2019. They all are DRT

Have a 35 whelen in remington 700 bdl. It is a delight to hunt with. It is similar as mentioned to the 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet. The 225 grain bullet is the one i use mostly. The sierra 225 for deer and other similar size game. The 225 grain barnes for elk, and hopefully if i ever go on a moose hunt. Have never encountered a griz, but if i do the 225 barnes should be enough. It was the late 90's before i got my first whelen. I would heap rather have it than the 338 win. It has maybe 25 yards less reach, but also less recoil. With good handloads it trails the 338 with the 250 grain bullet by about 100 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.