35 whelen vs 35 whelen ai

etisll40

Is it worth the extra effort to have the 35 whelen ackley improved. Anyone had both, loaded them and know what I gain or not.. Please chime in. Or is a 338-06 ai a better choice?

For LR shooting/hunting with a .473" bolt face, something with better BC bullets would be more where I'd lean...Like the .30-06 AI, .30 Gibbs, or .300 Sherman.

But if you just want a big bore with long barrel life, I'd say the .338-06 AI over the .35 Whelen AI. Nothing wrong with the Whelen, it's just not a caliber/cartridge I've ever really had an interest in. Just personal preference/opinion.

I wouldn't bother with either AI version. I don't have the article with me, but the 35 Whelen AI is considered one of the most useless AI conversions ever. Something like 2% powder increase. I have a 338-06 and with rl17 and the 225 Accubond, I sit right at 2800fps out of a 25" tube. Around 2" at 300 yrds, 4.75 moa drop.

What do you plan on doing with it?

Shm

It seems the 338-06 is a good idea as there are so many 338 bullets out there. I am just thinking of a single shot build for my encore. I have many rifles and calibers but I like the rust bluing on this encore frame I have sitting around and I wanted to make just 1 caliber, for it and have it rust blued and put in a nice wood stock. I'll probably use in once in a while on whitetail, mostly a few shots at the range and let it sit on the wall at my home. I thought Whelen as I have 5 boxes of ammo! 308 is probably the best bet though. Or 375H&H! deer hammer. maybe 243ai or a creedmore?

It seems the 338-06 is a good idea as there are so many 338 bullets out there. I am just thinking of a single shot build for my encore. I have many rifles and calibers but I like the rust bluing on this encore frame I have sitting around and I wanted to make just 1 caliber, for it and have it rust blued and put in a nice wood stock. I'll probably use in once in a while on whitetail, mostly a few shots at the range and let it sit on the wall at my home. I thought Whelen as I have 5 boxes of ammo! 308 is probably the best bet though. Or 375H&H! deer hammer. maybe 243ai or a creedmore?

I wasn't super-thrilled at first about my .30-06 AI, because I had that action set aside to build my .280 AI off of, but I figured since I had a spare .30 cal barrel sitting around, I'd give it a shot (pun intended :D ). After it was built, and fire-forming, and load development with the Berger 185 VLD's, I have been so thoroughly impressed, it is one of my best shooting rifles. It's pushing the 185 VLD's around 3,000 fps out of my 26" 1:12 barrel. You could always build a .300 Sherman, which is basically an improved .30 Gibbs, which is an improved .30-06 AI... And you can get even more velocity. One of these days, I'm probably going to open the chamber of the .30-06 AI to .300 Sherman just to get that added bit of velocity, and because I want to have one of Rich's cartridges.

With your rifle being a Thompson/Center, you can build just about anything. If you want a cool cartridge for deer, the .260 AI is a fun one. So is the .280 AI. If you want a flat-liner that you can use for varmints up to deer, the .25-06 AI is a laser beam. I love mine.

A 338-06 AI is on my list for my next build - currently deciding on what action to run with.

This is a Stevens 200 build. It is quickly becoming my favorite rifle. 338-06 is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_20150928_122051261.jpg
    IMG_20150928_122051261.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 434
Ettis, I've got to say 35 whelen standard. I've been shooting one for a few years now and I'm getting good performance and awesome accuracy with my rifle. It is a lowly m77 Hawkeye and it shot the best group of the year for me last year... .300" at 200 yards. I'm using the 220 speer fp with rl15 pushing it lit with a Winchester primer in reformed 30-06 brass...

Thanks Lefty, this is basically an extra type gun mostly short range woods and fun shots on critters. I think the 35 whelen is a hammer. If I was going to get a little more sophisticated maybe the 338-06 something would be a better to caliber to settle on, lots more bullets. Still thinking but thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Lefty, this is basically an extra type gun mostly short range woods and fun shots on critters. I think the 35 whelen is a hammer. If I was going to get a little more sophisticated maybe the 338-06 something would be a better to caliber to settle on, lots more bullets. Still thinking but thanks for the feedback.

Yep... That's what my pipe is for also... Other options here are the 338win, 375h@h, and 405win in my collection... I've got a couple of big 7mm's and big 30's for longer range work, but I do love to touch off a thumper for mid range work, and it needs to have a decent T K O factor or I'm not interested.

The 35 Whelen shoots much flatter then it gets credit for, aboult the same as the 30-06 but with heaver bullets. I don't feel the Ackley is worth it. Some of the newer powders make a difference in the standard 35 Whelen. If you want more go with a 358 Norma Mag. or the 358 STA. The 338's do have some bullets made for long range shooting that are not offered in .358 cal. I wish the manufactures would spend more time on improving bullets in all calibers and less on new cartridges. We all ready have more then most people have even began to hear of, and many of the new ones just duplicate some older ones with no improvement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts