35 whelen vs 35 whelen ai

I have owned both the standard and the AI in the whelen. I still own a standard but would not hesitate to go with the AI again just for the more positive headspacing that was mentioned earlier. Any velocity increase is likely covered up by variances in individual barrels.

Running ammo through several .35 whelens it seems like with its tiny shoulder there is enough variation in chambers and ammo dimensions to cause some issues until you get brass fire formed in your chamber. I have had more misfires with .35 whelens using factory ammo or virgin brass than any other centerfire cartridge. Easy to resolve with handloading but frustrating with factory ammo.

My current Whelen is set up as the antithesis of a long range rig...

Boat paddle M77 Mark II .30-06 sent to JES in Oregon and bored out to .35 then cut to 20" with remington front sight and a NECG ghost ring rear sight. Basically, my interpretation of a "guide" rifle. Light, handy, and pretty rugged. it does give a beating on both ends with full house loads though :)

Whelen 1.jpg

Even with the short barrel it comfortably shoots a 225 Sierra or TSX at 2600+ which stays north of 2200 fps and 2400 ft pounds out to around 200 yards which is my personal limit with the ghost ring and my abilities.

My favorite part about the .35 Whelen is the ability to load up a bunch of 158 grain pistol bullets over Trailboss. Gives me a cheap 1700 FPS with mild recoil and really good accuracy for close range practice/plinking. Pretty much a .357 magnum carbine at that point and my kids can shoot it with smiles on their faces.

My favorite part about the .35 Whelen is the ability to load up a bunch of 158 grain pistol bullets over Trailboss. Gives me a cheap 1700 FPS with mild recoil and really good accuracy for close range practice/plinking. Pretty much a .357 magnum carbine at that point and my kids can shoot it with smiles on their faces.
Being that short of a barrel, you could drop that load's velocity some more using the Trailboss, have the barrel threaded, toss on a nice monocore can, and have a really quiet plinker. :cool:

For years I have hunted the thick jungle of the Pacific Northwest for the elusive black tail. I finally found the perfect rifle and cartridge for hunting them. It is a Remington 7400 in 35 whelen. It gives me a quick 5 shots with a 250 grain bullet that is a real deer killer. I can comfortably reach out to 300 yards for that rare shot across a clear cut. IMO this is the ultimate brush gun for North America. I would not hesitate to shoot anything from grizzlies to grouse with this cartridge. It kills them where they stand. In 20 years of hunting with it I have never had an animal I shot at leave my sight. Including 2 elk in the thick stuff. It makes tracking easy. :) I have been bow hunting the last 10 years so the rifle doesn't make it out of the gunsafe much. But I would never get rid of it. My vote is to build the 35. You will not be disappointed in the way it thumps game.

Lol I also have a few 300's that are killers too. But in the thick stuff I would always go with the 35 Whelen and 250 gr bullets.

Having used both 35 Whelen and 338-06, I built a custom VZ24 '98 Mauser in 338-06 because of bullet choice, velocity attained with the 210gr Partition and trajectory.
When I had the Whelen, I was almost made to run factory loads only due to my LGS's never having 35 cal bullets in stock, I had to special order and wait until they came in every time I wanted bullets. They were also more expensive than 33 cal bullets. I used to run Rem factory Core Lokts in 200gr.
Given the choice, I would choose the 338-06 every time, see no need to AI it as the velocities I get are very respectable in my 24" barrel. I get 2750fps with the 210gr Partition and 2700fps with the 225gr Accubond and 2570fps with the 250gr Partition. Have had 2600fps with the 250gr Partition, but that powder is no longer available.
I considered the AI version when building my rifle, but the extra step of fire forming and die set cost swayed me to stay with the standard cartridge.

Cheers.
:)

I have an "Indiana wildcat" for the "old" laws which is an equivalent to the Whelen AI on a shortened WSM case. Nothing thumps game like this round within 300 yards. A long range rifle....beyond 500 yards...it is not. So it depends on needs.

If I were building a rifle from scratch I would need no reason not to do the AI as I perceive no down side. I love my AIs.

A client just reamed out his 35 Whelen with the Sherman reamer and ran the 225's at 3080 fps before he pressured out. Just FYI everyone. It's a simple, inexpensive and substantial gain. The same is true for all of the other chambers from 6.5'06 on up.

I know this is an old thread but what did he ream it to? Was it a 35 Sherman?

I wasn't super-thrilled at first about my .30-06 AI, because I had that action set aside to build my .280 AI off of, but I figured since I had a spare .30 cal barrel sitting around, I'd give it a shot (pun intended :D ). After it was built, and fire-forming, and load development with the Berger 185 VLD's, I have been so thoroughly impressed, it is one of my best shooting rifles. It's pushing the 185 VLD's around 3,000 fps out of my 26" 1:12 barrel. You could always build a .300 Sherman, which is basically an improved .30 Gibbs, which is an improved .30-06 AI... And you can get even more velocity. One of these days, I'm probably going to open the chamber of the .30-06 AI to .300 Sherman just to get that added bit of velocity, and because I want to have one of Rich's cartridges.

With your rifle being a Thompson/Center, you can build just about anything. If you want a cool cartridge for deer, the .260 AI is a fun one. So is the .280 AI. If you want a flat-liner that you can use for varmints up to deer, the .25-06 AI is a laser beam. I love mine.
The 25-06 Ackley Improved is an amazing cartridge!

Another quick question can I use 30-06 brass for the 35 Sherman? I've been wanting a Cartridge like this but have never been able to find anything with ballistics like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.