270 win for long range hunting

270shooter

Hello everyone I'm new here just wondering about using my 270win for long range shooting & hunting and What kind of effective range I can expect

Completely depends on what bullet you shoot and how hard you push it, some 270 offerings are total rocks while the Bergers and some others let you walk it out there a little farther if you have the skill to get it there.

I bet you want some numbers.

Here's some from experience. 130/140 Noslers 650 yds. 140 Bergers maybe another 100 yards or so, depending on what you are shooting at. These numbers are for yotes and deer. Elk would be around the 500-575 range or so.

MVs are at 3200 out of the winny with the above mentioned bullets, if you can get them to go that fast.

You are going to need a good rangefinder and a good scope. For scopes, leupold vx-3, mk4, nightforce, S&B, premier, and USO are the top of the line. For 600yards or so something with 12-20 top range power will work fine, target turrets, adjustable paralax and repeatable adjustments are a must. Such as a bushnell, sightron, vortex, nikon monarch, I prefer and use sightron SIII myself.

However, that is just some of the equipment needed. This sport is not something you just buy some stuff and start hammering deer at 600+ yards. My longest kill to date is 340yards on a hog, and I shoot every weekend, f-class once a month, and thousands of rounds throughout a year. Sure, this year I am more than ready to extend my range.
Maybe write a little more about your shooting experience.
Sorry if I'm a little skeptical but a lot of people join around this time Of year asking how to shoot to XXX yards and then go out and make our sport look bad by gut shooting animals far beyond where they should be shooting.

Do you handload? That is definetely needed for the 270, also contact Wildcat Bullets, one of their VLDs will be your best bet, or
the 140 Berger.

what kind of scope would you all advise currently using a nikon buckmaster 3x9x40

Depends on what's under the caps, I'm working with my buddy to get him out and he's shooting a similar Nikon and the turrets are actually not that bad for sure good enough to start working with. The wind is what kicks your butt, you need to know what it is doing and you need a good range, what ever load you shoot shoot it a lot and find your effective range by actual shooting!

I personally limit my shots to 300 yards on game animals currently but I am working on a 500 yard range with gong targets so my question is not so much about hunting but more about shooting at longer range sorry about the confusion

In that case your good to go! Sling em! Check how well your scope tracks, and develop some handloads with a Berger VLD or Nosler AB (only options with a decent bc really, unless you go custom).

I feel that no hunter should engage live targets in the feild unless they are SHURE that the can put the bullet where it belongs. a 9" paper plate works well for this for deer/ antelope sized game. get out with the equipment you have and see what you are capable of and be honest with your self. I shoot in f-class competion out to 1000 yards but my realistic game shooting distance at this time is 400yrds with perfect conditions. I have been hunting deer for 30+ years and can honestly say I have never lost a deer to poor shot placement. that is because I have been honest with my self and passed on long shots and tried to get closer when a shot was beond my ability
good luck and good hunting
treeman

I own 2 of the Buckmaster scopes. If you want to stay in that price range, than the 4.5-14x or the 6-18x will work great. If you have the adjustable turrets not requiring a coin for adjustment you are good to go. You need to be able to twiddle your turrets with relative ease.

Personally I would go with the Berger 150's. They will give you maximum impact energy and wind bucking ability the lighter bullets don't offer. .531BC (Ballistic Coefficient) is much better than .486. The 150's will retain more energy and speed at greater range. That's just me though. I try and keep my bullets at a minimum of .500 or greater BC.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.