270 win for long range hunting

thanks everyone your giving me great info any gun mods you all advise doing its a Ruger M77 mk2 lightweight synthetic stock stainless steel barrel other than the awful trigger it has a 22" barrel

Some of the Rugers could be a real shooter. Here's my M77 MKII in .338 WM. topped with Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 with BP reticle:

P4030316.jpg

As replaced the trigger with standard triggers and here how it shoots factory ammo (Hornady .225gr SST) at a 100 yards
:

TgtGfx1.jpg

I have since replaced the stock with a B&C:

P2210386.jpg

Currently fine tuning load using .225gr NAB and H4831SC.

Good luck!

Ed

Regarding all of the questions I can remember after just reading the thread, here are my thoughts. And I'll start off by listing what experience I do have which is a good amount but half of what many have.

I've been shooting the 270 since the mid 80s. My first rifle was a 270. I've been loading for the 270 for 20 years and I've tried a LOT of bullets, and killed a LOT of game with just about any brand you can think of that is for hunting.

So, if a 243 or 243AI with a 105 Berger VLD can kill an elk at 1000 yards, so can a 270 with a 130, 140, or 150, whether we agree with the decision to use these calibers or not. That's personal choice. Me? I choose something bigger if I know I may have a long shot at an elk.

I have settled with, and highly recommend, the Berger VLD in 150 grains. I'm working on development with a new custom 270 and H4831SC and H1000 are getting in the high 2900s with powder charges still a grain or two less than the case will safely shoot. Still working on that, but if I'm guessing correctly and velocities keep rising at least 20fps per gr of powder, then we'll be right at 3000 fps or just over so long as accuracy is still there. I've already found a tack driver for my first 270 using IMR4350 and a Fed 215M primer.

Dies: I use Forster and Redding. Wilson dies are excellent too. I recommend you send your sizing die back to factory and have them hone the neck to where it squeezes your case .002 less than a loaded round. From there you have 2 choices. You can pitch the expander as you won't need it unless neck tension is too much, or you can keep the expander and runout will still be significantly reduced because it should open up the case mouth only .001. That has been my experience with multiple size dies in many calibers and in both brands.

OR, you can get Redding Bushing dies and use a bushing that will squeeze the neck .001 less than a loaded round. This works perfectly as well. The only time you run into a bit of a problem with doing these things is if you change brass drastically, like buying Lapua 30.06 cases and sizing them to use in your 270. I've done this for one rifle and you can either stick with the expander so it only has .001 neck tension or you can turn the necks, (or both). But Winchester brass works well, you just have to pitch the crap cases as you will get some.

If you decide to use a Berger VLD in 150 grain, I'd suggest you begin with H4831SC and H1000 and don't hesitate to try magnum primers either. For over 40 years, many 270 loaders have experienced better groups with a magnum primer, including myself. I'd also tell you that you can certainly use the IMR 4831 and 4350 as well, as I personally have not experienced major, even minor changes with POI and temp swings.

Barnes bullets: ...used a LOT of the TSX and some TTSX. Work like a charm and when they hit bone, it's like blowing through soup. Fantastic hard hitting bullet that drops deer and antelope like they got struck by lightening. Love them. Would not use either for shots over 350-400 yards. I got these bullets for close work, like shots under 300 yards and my preference is to square the shoulder with them, and NOT go rib shots behind the shoulder.

Last edited:
depends on what you are shooting and how far. deer/no elk/no coyotes/yes

on the original topic i've seen a one shot drop deadinits tracks shot on an elk at 745 yrds with a 270. not sure what load he was using but he does load his owngun)

Am I reading this right? A .243 win is only good for yotes, not deer? I've seen several white tails fall to this load. My 6mm Rem dropped one at 400 yds with fact rem ammo with no trouble at all.

Needless to say I disagree. 243 win will kill a white tail all day long when you do your part.

The .270 win is what I use for my long range shooting. I have a Remington 700 ADL that I floated, bedded, and slapped a Leupold VX-II scope with a custom vertical turret on. I've use Hornady SSTs and Interbonds and I can pop milk jugs at 600 yards every shot. It is on the small side, but like my dad I am not a big gun guy. It gets the job done with less powder and its easier on my barrel and shoulder. I think placement is a huge thing. We have always gone for the lung shot right behind the shoulder.
IMG_19441.jpg

Last edited:
I think Ill be using the 270 ti season the 243 isn't grouping good enough for my tastes and my gunsmith is busy for several weeks

Today I was out for my daily walk and was carrying my Model 700 that has a 24 inch 270 barrel on it now. I know where a rock is that I had been thinking of taking a shot at but didn't know the range. Today I also took my Leica range finder along for a solution. After arriving at the firing place I determined that the rock was 789 yards distant across a breezy valley.

My load was a 130 Nosler BT sitting on top of 60 grains of RL22 which produces 3134 FPS from said rifle. The rifle was zeroded for a max point blank range of 326 yards. The solution said up 52 clicks so that was applied, the sling adjusted and a prone position was assumed.

I fired at this rock and also 2 other closer ones at 313 and 604 yards. The distant rock is about the size and approximate shape of a mans torso from the belt up. The bullet hit about mid way up in elevation but was to the left side because of the slight breeze. I was astounded to say the least.

I think that the 270 is a fine long range rifle and our modern bullets and range finders make it even better.

And yes I hit the other 2 rocks also.

Regards, Keith
Semper Fi

If you know what the rifle and bullet are doing at distant ranges, just about any combo will work so long as the bullet does its job when it gets to the game you are shooting. There are those that really get hung up on BC, bullet weight, etc., and rightfully so, but in the end, take a look at guys like Dan Lilja who used a 270 Weatherby and 130gr Nosler Btips for his long range work.

A lot of people dismiss the 270 Win and its variants b/c of bullet selection and lower BCs compared to the 6.5mm, 7mm, etc.

FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to use my 270 Win out to 800 yards or so with a 150 grain Berger bullet.

I was away from the forum for a few days got the 243 shooting nice with a new crown on the barrel but I sure do appreciate the feedback thankyou

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.