270 wsm for long range hunting in nz

memyselfni

i have just purchased a tikka t3 lite ss in 270 wsm for long range red and sika deer hunting, i have fitted a vxIII 2.5-8x36 leupold to it, what would the max range of this cartridge be? i have shot a few sika and reds with my other rifle a ruger ul .308 but longest shot has been only 270 yards, any help would be appreciated, ie best way to sight in etc, is it capable of 500 yard shots? as this is probably the longest distance i would even consider a shot at
thanks
Gary

first off welcome aboard. the cartridge is certainly up to the task.only thing left to do is shoot the gun under field conditions with preferred ammo and see how far you can shoot accurately.that will be your distance limitation factor.

Decent loads w/the 140gr bullet would be good for well over 700yds. If it would shoot the Wildcat 169.5 RBBT at close to 3000 fps then a bit farther than that.

Those would be sika ranges. Reds would be a bit shorter, I suppose, but 500 to 600 should be doable ranges.

excuse me if my questions seem kinda stupid,im new to this, what sort of accuracy is required for 500yrd+ shooting, i went out today and fired five 3 shot groups that averaged right on 30mm at 100 yards, this was the 130gr winchester ballistic tip loading, does anyone have bcs for the 277 wildcat bullets? what sort of velocities are obtainable with the various weights in this caliber? i have sighted it to be 2.1 inches high at 100 yards, is this about right? lastly how does it perform compared to the 7mm rem mag out to 500 yards? any suggstions for accurising would also be appreciated
thanks in advance
Gary

5" is MOA at 500yrds, if your shooting deer sized game its good enough (but could be better in my opinion).

You may want to try the new Berger 270 bullets coming out. It is my understanding they will make a 130, 140, and 150 VLD.

Your plenty good out to 500-600 yards,spend some serious trigger time with the rifle in field shooting positions.Accuracy,it's a hunting rifle.People will yap your ear off and argue non stop over this subject .When comes to any rifle the tighter the groups the better.When your talking about deer size game it doesn't matter if your shooting 10-12" groups at 500-600yards,let's say for example your average Mule deer is 16-18 tall through the chest belly to back.
With a 270 WSM and a quality bullet holding tight behind the shoulder any hit from 2" bellow the back line all the way down to the pocket is going to get the job done...Most people start sniveling about 500-600 yard shots on game,most have not done it maybe due to never having the chance or the skill.it's no different than shooting 100yrds,you just need to know your cartridge,dial it and send it....I have shot PLENTY of Mule deer between 400-600 yards..Strange as it may sound I have put deer down faster at these ranges with a .243 Win and a 7x57 than I have with my bigger magnums 7mm Mag,,300 Win Mag and 7mm Ultra.

yes matey,that calibre in my mates hands is regularly taking Tahr out to 650 metres,
He shoots a Sako finnlight,topped off with a Swarovski 6x18x50 AO scope,He handloads Hornady SST and they are absolute dynamite.

when are the Berger's going to be available? I have a 270 WSM HS in a Single shot handgun and will be using it for deer/antelope here in the states. the berger may be just the ticket for long range use out of this gun.
nmhunter

Back home in Missouri we used the 270 WSM for long range white-tail hunting out to and just past 800 yards. Some used rifles just like yours and some used heavy barreled Savages and Winchesters. Some liked the heavy VLD and Accubond bullets, while some favored a light 100 grain Hornady. Its all just your preference and depends on your practice. I personally don't prefer the light bullets, but I watched a man shoot a doe at 857 with a 270 WSM pushing 90 grain Hollow Points. I don't prefer thm but he practiced with them alot.

Good Luck

Way to resurrect an old thread, you may not get much response over 3yrs old. By the way not all bullet makers publish BC's, Wildcat is one but you will find some threads with the 169.5 Wildcat at around .740 BC.
Welcome by the way.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.