Reticles for long range hunting?

SouthTXBowhunter

I'm looking to purchase a new higher end scope for my custom 6.5Creedmoor that's being built. I'm interested in pushing my shooting out to as far as 1200 and actually hunting out to 700-800 yards. I've been using my old NightForce NXS and a Leupold VX6 on my other longer range rifles but I'm considering trying a more complicated, Christmas tree style reticle. I've never owned or shot one of these and I'm a little concerned that they're going to be too complicated for hunting. On the other hand, I'm interested in trying a little PRS style shooting in the off season and I thought that'd give me an opportunity to adjust to one. Also, I thought they might be really useful for shooting at a moving animal if necessary. What are y'all's thoughts on these types of reticles for hunting?

Scopes I'm considering:

Vortex AMG
Kahles 624i SKMR3 reticle
S&B PMII Tremor 2 or H59

Last edited:
I've used the H59 reticle hunting antelope and shooting prairie dogs out to 1k and loved it. I prefer it to any other reticle I've seen or used.

I think the answer to your question depends very much on the "hunting to 700-800 yards" part of your requirements. While many hunters have been very effective using the X-mas tree reticles, I have found that hunting method and quarry makes a difference. They work fine for prairie dogs or antelope in the middle of the day in the wide open spaces where there is plenty of time and clean sight pictures. For that brief 700 yard encounter with a big whitetail or mulie in tight cover or low light conditions, I find the X-mas tree reticle more difficult to use. Under those conditions it's necessary to focus on "both", observing the animal for the best shot, and maintaining orientation of the reticle position...if you have to re-range, the situation becomes even more complicated. My personal preference(and ingrained conditioning) for this style of hunting is a simple MOA reticle for wind holds, and dialing the elevation. I rarely use the same rifle/scope for hunting and target games/shooting.

I like those OP's choices of reticles with one exception a bit of additional choices.

The Vortex Razor AMG with the EBR-7 is a great choice, and a bit lighter than your other selections. I also have a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27×56 w. the EBR-2. The "Christmas Tree" is not as busy as an H59 for cleaner viewing. But I prefer the .2mil subtensions of the EBR-7 in the AMG.

I have a Kahles K624i w. the SKMR, not the SKMR 3. Still a fantastic choice, and a bit less cluttered. The .036MIL center dot is amazing for very refined holds.

I also have a couple S&B PMIIs. A 3-20×50 & 5-25×56, both with the H2CMR. I prefer the H2CMR far over the H59 or Tremor2 for a hunting scope. It still give you great .2mil subtensions for wind holds ( I dial for elevation on long shots), but is far less cluttered for a much cleaner FOV. And can still be used for holdovers easily, just don't have windage holds below.

If you can find one...great scope for around $1600

Bushnell - DMR IIi 3.5-21x 50mm

I have had one for for almost a month now...this scope solves the problem of first focal plane scope reticles at low light and low magnification (can't see the reticles)...great for a hunting scope...

I also have non illuminated scopes also based on the G2DMR reticle...which I really like...

Life got real nice for me when I switched a Leuy Mk-4 TMR reticle to the TS-29 and found that I really, really liked it. At the time the TS-29 was the only one available for the scope that I had.

I then purchased another Leuy Mk-4 xx-14 w/the TS-32 reticle.

Cabelas then came out with the Covenant scope with, for all practical purposes, the same reticle as the Leuy TS-32. Put it on a 300 WM carry rifle.

I then purchased another Covenant to put on my AirForce Condor SS in 22 cal for long range, 115 yards :rolleyes:) with 18.1 grain pellets.

I'll never have to touch the turrets for any of the rifles, 375 AM, 300 WM, 270 WSM and Condor SS for any "hunting" range. Will have to click the 375 AM for ELR only.

Just one old man's 2 cents...

I can't help you with those but I'm really liking the TMOA and Boone and Crockett reticles I have on my VX-6 Leupold's.

I find some of the "christmas tree" type reticles to be too busy to suit me but both of these I really like.

My favorite reticle is the one on my Gunwerks Nightforce G7 5.5x22. It's basically an MOAR with a range scale on lower verticle to 500 yards that calibrates perfectly to my 6,5x284 at 11X. I find this reticle very fast for hunting to mid range. For long range, I dial.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 292
The christmas tree reticle is going to give you an advantage in two areas. Although it seems pretty busy from more conventional style reticles. It's going to aid you on follow up shots that your don't have time to dial or exact holds. Personally I run one. I don't believe it inhibits what your seeing in hunting or shooting situations.

I think the answer to your question depends very much on the "hunting to 700-800 yards" part of your requirements.... preference for this style of hunting is a simple MOA reticle for wind holds, and dialing the elevation. I rarely use the same rifle/scope for hunting and target games/shooting.

Couldn't have said it better than that. Except perhaps for targets that stand still long enough for the hunter to take a lot of time setting up the shot, hunting scopes don't perform well with a lot of junk in the reticle. KISS

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.