M1A for Long Range Hunting ?

375rifleman

Hello I was just wondering if anyone uses the M1A rifle for long range hunting ? I was just concerned about the remaining energy levels at greater distances and thereby the ethicality of using the M1A at greater distances. Thanks in advance for all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

Hello I was just wondering if anyone uses the M1A rifle for long range hunting ? I was just concerned about the remaining energy levels at greater distances and thereby the ethicality of using the M1A at greater distances. Thanks in advance for all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

Several years ago I had a very nice match grade M1A. They are phenomenal rifles but not without some flaws. One of which is just mounting a scope on them. There are several very nice scope mounts, and the nice ones usually work. I say usually because I spoke to a Navy Armourer (and you can likely guess if he was a Navy Armourer putting scope mounts on M14s who he worked with ) he told me that they finally started welding the scope mounts to the rifles, and occasionally that didn't work, and welds would break. So problem 1 is finding a solid scope mount, then testing it enough to trust it..

The next issue I had was it's a 7.62x51. Not sure about the newest commercial M1A's but I know you may have to be careful what you feed it. The gas system can be hurt by some modern loads. Like I said that may be different on yours, but I wouldn't assume it until you make sure. Even if you can shoot any ammo, it is still a .308. Perfectly capable hunting round, but not a "great" long range hunting round in many people's opinions, mine included. Long range to me being beyond 600.

All this being said I love the M1 Garand and all the rifles in its lineage, lots of people have done a lot of really cool things with them, including take game at long range. For myself I ended up selling mine to get a true precision rifle (which i sadly ended up selling not too long after) Making the M1a into a precision scoped rifle was just more of a project than I wanted to get into. If you decide to do so, I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see your results.

For me it came down to goals, did I want a long range M1a, or did I want a long range precision hunting rifle? Either is fine, but one is much easier, less frustrating and possibly cheaper to get. At the time I had a lot to learn about shooting long range (still do) and didn't want to also have to learn how to make an M1a adequate for the task. I hope this makes sense, and may be helpful.

In my opinion, which is only worth what you paid for it, the M1A is a great military rifle, and can make an excellent military sniper rifle. Even if I had a nice reliable one, I would likely pick something else for long range hunting.

Can you, well sort of. I do agree with Mitch. I have a NM with a Bassett scope mount, which works well. The question also depends on what you call long range. If hunting out to 400yds then ok, farther than that I might not suggest it. Mine does shoots 1 MOA with my handloads (168 SMK, LC brass, 40.5 of H4895), as do many NM rifles. These things are very good battle rifles, but they are very heavy. There are many a long range military match shot with them, as you know, and have become resurrected in military in the last 10 years.

You don't load these with real heavy bullets (<175) or hot charges, and must use powder with burn rates appropriate for semi-auto.

Personally, I don't get the chance to hunt >400 yards, but when I hunt I choose a bolt.

Mitch is correct. I have tried to talk myself into doing an M1A for a long time. I even used one in Iraq and have always wanted one for sentimental value but I just refuse to pay that kind of money for 1950's technology. The performance just isn't there.

There's nothing you can't get to work. That said, a M1A as a long range hunting rig is a thing you do just to see if you can or because it's the only thing you have. The standard budget bolt rifle in 308 would probably serve a person as well or even much, much better. About the only thing a M1A/M14 is good for is saving your life and the lives of those around you.

Basically I was just asking how practical a 308 battle rifle would be for a long range hunting rifle, I like the M1A because it's sort of an updated version of the venerable M1 Garand and 308 Winchester is avalible pretty much everywhere so ammo supply should never run dry.

Basically I was just asking how practical a 308 battle rifle would be for a long range hunting rifle, I like the M1A because it's sort of an updated version of the venerable M1 Garand and 308 Winchester is avalible pretty much everywhere so ammo supply should never run dry.

Not super practical. A battle rifle can be hunted with, with great success and the 308 is a fine caliber but they tend not to be be fabulously accurate/consistent for "long-range" needs. They can be made to be more accurate but keeping them shooting that way usually does require some effort. As a duel purpose rig (battle/hunting), it'll do fine as the vast majority of hunting shot presentations are not long-range. With a M1A, you could probably put meat in your freezer your entire lifetime but if you expect to regularly make cross-canyon clean kills on unfamiliar ground at various angles with one and only one shot at 600+ yards and find your animal right next to where you hit it, you might experience some long periods of hunger. I know of a guy who hunts coyotes with a M1A. He likes it just fine but his shots are in keeping with the rifles design and of course he doesn't put up the fur.

I like the 30-06 . I like my garand. I had it glass bedded and and new Krieger barrel, match sights and trigger. shoots in the .3s" with match loads. very tough to put a scope on it.

Out to 600yds you can certainly do well with the right bullet if you can find a load that will shoot around 1 MOA for your rifle.

Beyond that it's a little light for anything bigger than deer but if you can put it in the right spot you can get the job done easily out of 800yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.