.270 vs 6.5x55

Bullets make 26cal better than 27cal, overall, as ultimately everything begins with the bullet.

But if he already has a 270, will the 6.5x55 provide a useful improvement? My thought is at most common hunting distances the answer is probably not. Go 7 mag and up or 6mm and down depending on what he's doing with his rigs.

The 6.5x55 works just fine for elk, so any deer would not pose much of a problem from a terminal ballistics standpoint. If you're not a handloader though, I'd take the .270. There's just not that much out there for 6.5 Swede factory loads compared to the .270, and as mentioned earlier the 6.5 factory loads are weaker than a modern gun justifies. They download the factory ammo to keep those of us with M96 Mausers from blowing them up with full, modern pressure loads.

I don't think the 6.5x55mm will do anything noticeably different than your .270. I like the .270 a lot, but owning a .280, I haven't bothered keeping any of the .270s that have passed through my collection. I built a 6.5X55mm BJAI, but would just go with 6.5 PRC if I were to start that project now since they are so similar in performance, but the PRC saves the time fireforming. I think the 6.5 PRC might have some advantages over your .270, but, again, they would probably be minor unless you were really out pushing the limits of your .270 already.

They download the factory ammo to keep those of us with M96 Mausers from blowing them up with full, modern pressure loads

Actually the download issue is that the 6.5x55 was chambered in some Krags around the turn of the century. The Mauser action is one of the strongest actions. If you have built after 1900 your ok.

In my opinion it fails when the OP is trying to compare both cartridges in terms of performance, because the 270 W is working at a (almost) magnum pressure level while the 6,5 x 55 SE on the other hand is very moderate regarding this. The 270 W simply plays in another class, and while it can deliver a 150gr bullet over a long distance with ease and more than enough terminal energy and with flat trajectory additionally, the 6,5 x 55 is beginning to gasp. Here in Scandinavia or in Germany we have (old) legal rules that are demanding at least 2000 J of terminal energy at a 100 m if you want to hunt deer sized game or bigger. Minimum bullet weight is 139gr / 9 grams. Factory loads for the 6,5 x 55 aren't getting this done ... so manufacturers have to go up with bullet weight like 156gr, 10,1 grams. Ok, those bullet - cartridge combinations get the job done, but forget about long - range hunting! Not further out than 200 m please! The 6,5 x 55 is a very accurate, low recoiling rifle, but it has its clear limitations. A 6,5 - 284 could fill the bill though.

Since 1893 the 6.5x55 has proven it's ability to take heavy game around the world. Moose in Scandinavia etc. US shooters are just now beginning to understand the benefits of the 6.5 bore. I have various 6.5's & the 270. The 6.5x55 is factory loaded to ridiculously low pressures so as to be safe in the many older rifles . Hand loaded in strong modern rifles the 6.5 x55 will take any game the 270 will . It will do so with milder recoil & a flatter trajectory. The 6.5 over all has been a sleeper in the US. We take our deer & elk every year with our various 6.5's, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06. Check out on line the exploits of " Karamojo Bell " ( Walter Dalrymple Maitland ) . In the years just prior to 1900 & just after he took numerous elephants penetrating 22" to 24" of skull . Also took over 400 head of every size of African plains game averaging 1 1/2 shots per animal meaning many were taken with one shot. He did all this with the minuscule 6.5x54MS driving a 160 gr bullet at barely 2300FPS.

morning, Hespco is right, Varberger 757 misinformed. the new chamberings
in the new modern rifles desires a very good cartridge in the 6.5x55.
the only reason the military cartridges from WWI and WWII r not popular
is they come from the other side of the oceans. were not popular with
the American shooting public. with all of the new bullets on the market
today these chambers could and would become popular.
where do the think the caliber 6.5prc or the 6.5CM got the
start from?? why does not the shooting world call a 6.5prc
a 260prc?? call the 7x57 a rimmed 284. that's calling
like calling a pecan a Peecan. justme gbot tum

.....as ultimately everything begins with the bullet........

.......Still correct 5 years later. Factory stuff hasn't changed much, but with custom twists, and custom bullets much more is possible.
.......I suspect Varberger is correct regarding limitations in his part of the globe.
.......As far as Bell goes, that load is likely not in use anywhere, not legal in many places, the circumstances of that century, nor the skill born of unique talent, and perfected by repitition is not likely something we will see again.
......Kind of like telling Bell Clovis man did it with points tipped with stone.

As for both if you are not a hand loader pick the 270 Win because there are much more factory loads for it. If you are a hand loader and use a modern actioned rifle and 26" or longer barrel you can get the 6.5 x55 really moving and the bullets will fly a little better at long range but where the 6.5s also really shine is the penetration ability. Those long bullets just keep going.

I say if you want it....get it. I have tried to have a variety calibers and always look for one I dont have. The only duplicate calibers I have are to add to a model or vintage collection. My main go to are 243, 25/06 ,7mm mag, 300 wm, 45/70 and 6.5 grendel......and of course a 5.56 and plan in adding a. 338 of some sort. I am not apposed to any caliber (except for 6.5 creedmore) and dont knock others for their choices. I do get s chuckle out the ones who are familiar boys of their pet caliber and believe it's the only one that everyone should own....kinda like a glock

You can't override the physics ... simple as that. Living in Norway, European regulations due to CIP - data are both decisive for me and European manufacturers! That means max. pressure of 3800 bar or 55114 psi for the 6,5x55 SE. There is no free space for "extraordinary chamberings" or other fantasy products. The 6,5x55 SE is taking 57gr H20 max, and this will not change. It's a limited volume, and there are no "flat trajectories" to be achieved with modern heavy and long secant projectiles like the 143gr. ELD - X. When seated correctly they are reducing the achievable powder volume! To hit a target at 800 meters distance you have to fire with an elevation of almost 9 meters (vertex) when using 143gr ELD - X and 21' bbl. Velocity is getting so reduced at 800 m that the wind may even "blow away" those high BC - bullets. The 6,5x55 SE is a nice cartridge, but not capable of miracles.

Last edited:
Put it into a long action, no bullet into the powder chamber. Do not neuter it with a 21 inch barrel but go over 26" and you will get a whole different result.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts