.270 All Weather Rifle Choices (Stainless + Synthetic)?

I have a 270 Winchester Short Magnum in a Left Hand Winchester Model 70 that works real well for me. I tend to use my Browning 338 Win Mag more for elk (another lefty), because we hunt in the High Unita's and often have short shots in the woods and brush. I like both of them. just got attached to the 338.

Kimber Hunter at 5 lbs 13 oz with 24" bbl.

Even with a decent scope and Talley lightweight rings you will be under weight and at budget.

Shoot 145 ELD-X's at 3100 fps+ with RL26.

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase a new all weather bolt rifle in .270win and wondering what your guy's experiences are with the rifles I've found below. Good/bad/ugly? Am I missing any brands/models that would fit my criteria? Note: I'm Not looking to get into a custom $2k++ rifle or custom build.

My criteria:
- .270win; Stainless barrel/action/etc; Synthetic/composite stock; 8lbs or under
- Consistently accurate rifle out-of-the-box (no large "hit or miss" quality control issues)
- ~$1500 or under out the door (street price new); not looking at used rifles

What I've found so far:
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - $1340 MSRP
- I have one of these chambered in .300wm and love it, but kinda want to try something different
Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - $1190 MSRP
- One of the lighter rifles on the list, but how well do these shoot?
Savage 110 Storm - $865 MSRP
- I like the price on these, but how well do they shoot?
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - $800 MSRP
- Price is nice, very light, Tikkas seem to have a good rep for accuracy, but they've always felt kinda "cheap" in my hands
Howa HS Precision - $1100 MSRP
- Seems hard to find info on these and I'm not even sure if they are offered in stainless?
Sako 85 Finnlight - $1700 MSRP
- Top of my budget and don't know much about them, are they worth it, good shooters?
Weatherby Vanguard Stainless Synthetic - $750 MSRP
- Only one offered in 24" length barrel; these are under the "Legacy" category on their site - so, not sure if they are still made?

All of the above are SS/Synthetic and have a ~22" barrel with 1:10 twist (24" for the Weatherby) and come in around 7lbs. (+/- 10oz).

Other thoughts:
- I'm not a fan of Remingtons, which is why there are none on my short list
- I looked at Bergara's - but it looks like they don't offer anything in Stainless
- I wish Weatherby offered the Mark V Accumark or Vanguard Accuguard in .270win :(

Thanks for any help!
Weatherby Vanguard or Howa....you are getting the same barreled action! I personally love both!...just me!

I'm looking to purchase a new all weather bolt rifle in .270win and wondering what your guy's experiences are with the rifles I've found below. Good/bad/ugly? Am I missing any brands/models that would fit my criteria? Note: I'm Not looking to get into a custom $2k++ rifle or custom build.

My criteria:
- .270win; Stainless barrel/action/etc; Synthetic/composite stock; 8lbs or under
- Consistently accurate rifle out-of-the-box (no large "hit or miss" quality control issues)

What I've found so far:
- I have one of these chambered in .300wm and love it, but kinda want to try something different
- Price is nice, very light, Tikkas seem to have a good rep for accuracy, but they've always felt kinda "cheap" in my hands
- Seems hard to find info on these and I'm not even sure if they are offered in stainless?
- Top of my budget and don't know much about them, are they worth it, good shooters?
- Only one offered in 24" length barrel; these are under the "Legacy" category on their site - so, not sure if they are still made?

All of the above are SS/Synthetic and have a ~22" barrel with 1:10 twist (24" for the Weatherby) and come in around 7lbs. (+/- 10oz).

Other thoughts:
- I looked at Bergara's - but it looks like they don't offer anything in Stainless
- I wish Weatherby offered the Mark V Accumark or Vanguard Accuguard in .270win :(

Thanks for any help!
I would never pass up a Winchester Model 70 EW.
I have them in 300WM & 338WM, with other barrels in 270 Bee and 264WM.
I make mine into switch barrels.

Cheers.

My vote goes to the Winchester EW. If you already have one, something is to be said about the familiarity with the operation of the bolt, safety and overall feel of the rifle. You do it without thinking, and that may be an issue with a quick, once in a lifetime shot. In my opinion (and we all have one, not saying mine is right) that 3 position safety is the best there is. Hard to beat that controlled round feed too. I currently have 3 EW's, and recently purchased another EW in 30/06, removed the barrel without shooting it, and it's in the process of getting a Bartlein barrel in 280 Ackley as we speak. I did purchase a Tikka 3x Superlite in 6.5 Creedmore for my nephew to use as he learns to hunt. If he likes it, we'll step up to something with a little more oomf as he gets older. The Tikka is a little lighter than the Winchester, and I was pleased at how well it shot OOTB. I also have 2 custom built Mausers, and they do shoot, but I prefer the EW's for hunting. The gun maker has since passed away, and the Mausers have exhibition wood. They're too pretty to beat up, climbing up and down mountains in bad weather. But I digress...

For me, I like the familiarity of the same rifle operations. But there are a lot of good rifles out there. What feels good to you? How is the fit? If it doesn't shoot to your expectations, there are a few tweaks like bedding the action that increase accuracy, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Bottom line, get what you want, take it hunting, and enjoy!

My vote goes to the Winchester EW. If you already have one, something is to be said about the familiarity with the operation of the bolt, safety and overall feel of the rifle. You do it without thinking, and that may be an issue with a quick, once in a lifetime shot. In my opinion (and we all have one, not saying mine is right) that 3 position safety is the best there is. Hard to beat that controlled round feed too. I currently have 3 EW's, and recently purchased another EW in 30/06, removed the barrel without shooting it, and it's in the process of getting a Bartlein barrel in 280 Ackley as we speak. I did purchase a Tikka 3x Superlite in 6.5 Creedmore for my nephew to use as he learns to hunt. If he likes it, we'll step up to something with a little more oomf as he gets older. The Tikka is a little lighter than the Winchester, and I was pleased at how well it shot OOTB. I also have 2 custom built Mausers, and they do shoot, but I prefer the EW's for hunting. The gun maker has since passed away, and the Mausers have exhibition wood. They're too pretty to beat up, climbing up and down mountains in bad weather. But I digress...

For me, I like the familiarity of the same rifle operations. But there are a lot of good rifles out there. What feels good to you? How is the fit? If it doesn't shoot to your expectations, there are a few tweaks like bedding the action that increase accuracy, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Bottom line, get what you want, take it hunting, and enjoy!
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
All of my main hunting rifles that I pack/carry/slung are CRF rifles with 3 position safeties or 2 position at least.
I have a few Rem 700's as LR varmint or deer slaying machines that get used a few times a year. I still to this day double charge or bind up these PF rifles on a regular basis. Just can't get my head around pushing a round up into battery and NOT turning the bolt down to capture the rim, then I pull back and try to feed another round in...doh.
My worst is the VS I have in 17 Rem, it jams 'em in real tight when I try to get 2 in there.

Cheers.

If you like a M70, you'll like the Kimber. I've got a bunch of pre-64 M70 in STD and FWT and 4 Kimber Classics/Classic Selects in 30-06, 30-06, 270, and 6.5 CM. LA is 84L, SA is 84M. All shoot sub MOA, with the 6.5 always less 0.5 MOA.

The Kimber is lighter than the M70 FWTs and still has a 24" bbl. Safety/bolt/feed are basically the same.

My criteria:

What I've found so far:

Other thoughts:

Thanks for any help!
I have a Browning x-bolt stainless stalker in .325 wsm and love it. It shoots very well, 1 moa in .325. It is light and I love the soft touch stock, feels great!

Tikka
The lightweight Tikkas feel "cheap" because of the stock. You can replace it for something more substantial, but then you lose the weight advantage.

both the Browning X-bolt and Savage 110 in 270 win are shooters, don't need to worry about that!

My criteria:

What I've found so far:

Other thoughts:

My criteria:

What I've found so far:

Other thoughts:

Thanks for any help!
You will never regret the sako

Greatly greatly appreciate all the input! I think right now, for me, its narrowed down to the M70 EW or the Tikka. I'm leaning towards trying the Tikka since I've never had one. If I end up not liking it, I'll end up giving it to my dad and getting an M70 :)

Thanks again all!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.