Rifle choices

Man, I hate to overpost on this one, but you could also have a pretty hard look at the Savage Weather Warrior in 6.5x284 Norma. This is a long-action cartridge that pretty much whomps the 260 or 6.5CM, without putting you into the Nosler 26 or something crazy like that. Factory ammo, modest recoil, and that particular selection comes in a 24" barrel in the Savage. Pretty mean setup, and with quality 140 grain bullets like Accubond etc, you could (gasp) also feel pretty good taking elk out to moderate ranges.

If you aren't looking for something lightweight, you could move toward the Long Range Hunter by Savage. I have a friend who is getting sub 3-inch 800 yard groups out of his. He builds a lot of custom setups, but I believe that particular rifle was doing that with a Savage barrel on it.

Thanks guys. I found a deal on a Weatherby Vanguard II in 7mm08. I'm now thinking of going ahead and getting a Remington SPS in 260 also.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.