.270 All Weather Rifle Choices (Stainless + Synthetic)?

I have a SS T3x in 270, 270wsm and 30-06. I also have a SS Sako in 7mmSTW. All 4 rifles are the most accurate out of the box rifles I've ever owned. For example, when trying different factory loads, none have ever shot groups greater the 1.5" And all easily found a hand load at or close to 1/2", usually in the first round of testing. This is using factory COAL. I've never had to play with COAL to get them to shoot....and probably won't make the effort.

I find the Tikka synthetic stocks adequate. They are adequately stiff and no doubt facilitate the accuracy. I much prefer the Sako's synthetic stock...but when you consider the actual costs, it's hard to justify the difference. I've looked at upgrading the Tikka stocks....but I'd rather spend the coin on something else. Just before playing with my first Tikka, I was on the verge of a custom build. I've got 3 great shooting Tikkas with mounts and excellent glass for what I was going to spend just on a rifle.... At present a custom rifle is not in the plans.

I'm not sure this is really worthy of comment, but the T3 do not appear to have "fast barrels" unlike my Sako. 2 of the 3 need a couple extra grains of powder to match book max velocities. The other apparently has a tight chamber and hits max advertised velocities 3 grains under book max.

One final comment: Not all SS is created equal. It is my perception that the Tikka SS is more subject to rust discoloration than other rifles I've owned. In other words, don't put them away damp.... If you wipe them dry after being out in the elements, they're fine.

Hi
Choosing a new rifle is one of the more pleasurable dilemas in life.

Not easy to choose really as you have a list of fine guns there. It really boils down to what feels right for you.

Personally i would get the Tikka and spend any money saved on a quality piece of glass to put on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts