.270 AI owners sound off ...

With the new high bc bullets in 270, I could see more 270 stuff showing up in the future. As far as the 270 ai, if I had a donor la std bolt face around I would give it a try.

Why would you bother with the 270AI
When you could just shoot a 270wby? It's faster anyways and no fireforming brass.

It's because it boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. I personally not a fan of a proprietary cartridge. If you are a .270 WBTY fan, by all means go for it and start a similar post. Cheers!

While I have several 270's, currently, I do not own the AI version, but many years ago, I had a 270 Gibbs. I guess you would call that a super AI, for it had the 40degree shoulder pushed forward leaving a .250" length neck. At the time, we used a 1/10 twist for the bullets of the day, 130-150gr, so I never had the current availability of the heavier and higher BC designs. In my 24" tube and with powders back then, I found I could increase 130gr velocity 200-250fps faster than the standard 270, which allowed me to have 270WbyMag velocity without the issues of that case design nor mag action. Accuracy was excellent, and while today the 270WSM is a simpler solution, one day when the wildcatting bug bites again, I would love to play with another Gibbs or AI in an 1/8 twist in a 26-28" tube. YMMV

Last edited:
When you could just shoot a 270wby? It's faster anyways and no fireforming brass.
Yup and the Weatherby uses a lot more powder so more recoil, the brass is EXTREMELY expensive and difficult to find, and......my last statement is it's because I wanted one! And....I'll agree with you about not having to fireform brass, however not too certain about it being faster!!??? I could ask if you have ever heard of a .270 Ackley Improved. A few years ago the .280 Ackley Improved was the do-all, best-of-all, long range killing cartridge due to all of the manufacturing hype!!! Now the .280 Ackley has become extinct because we have the do-all, best-of-all, long range killing cartridge, the 65. Creedmoor!!! For my hunting wants/needs the .270 AI meets all of my hunting and shooting needs out to 300-400 yards, m a y b e a 500 yard shot?

Trm82 said:
Yup and the Weatherby uses a lot more powder so more recoil, the brass is EXTREMELY expensive and difficult to find, and......my last statement is it's because I wanted one! And....I'll agree with you about not having to fireform brass, however not too certain about it being faster!!??? I could ask if you have ever heard of a .270 Ackley Improved. A few years ago the .280 Ackley Improved was the do-all, best-of-all, long range killing cartridge due to all of the manufacturing hype!!! Now the .280 Ackley has become extinct because we have the do-all, best-of-all, long range killing cartridge, the 65. Creedmoor!!! For my hunting wants/needs the .270 AI meets all of my hunting and shooting needs out to 300-400 yards, m a y b e a 500 yard shot?
Yes! But.....it's a Weatherby!

What ^ said and..

Yes! But....it's a Weatherby! :p memtb

Yes and it is belted and then there's the issue of the brass etc...

Last edited:
When my .270 Win Rem700 BDL '72 model needs a new barrel i'm seriously thinking about putting 270AI on the old girl but with a different twist for the heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.