Min barrel length for 270 AI???

Budlight shoots one and should post something.

I'd say 26" shortest to be considered and would go w/27". Have a 27" 270 Win hanging on the wall and am please with performance.

FWIW.....

Bearcat,

What do you do w/ the gun ?
Is it a gun you hike in the mountains with,or a more stationary gun ?
I'm going to rebarrel my 25-06 to AI soonish and being that i'll tote it quite a bit i'm going to go w/a 26". Mike

bearcat, I personally don't like over a 22" barrel & long action to carry. Especially if you ever plan on putting it in a scabbard down the road. Just my thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you are looking for light weight and compact, don't hesitate to be in the 18-20 inch range.
I hunt with specialty handguns and you still get great performance and accuracy with the shorter barrels.
What distances do you want to be able to connect at?

What I'm looking for really is this: I have a rifle that is chambered in 270 Win it could use a little "accuratizing" work. Currently it has a 24" sporter weight barrel on it, I would like to have it set back and recut to 270AI this would roughly make it 23.75" long. Is that length able to use the extra the AI provides or is it a waste? As far as the distance I want it to be capable of it would be a long range desert/mountain rifle. Antelope/Mule deer/Elk/Black bear gun. Thanks

Specifically on the barrel really don't know, the accuacy can be affected by many different factors, but putting that aside the rifle currently shoots about 1.25-1.5" groups at 100. Of course being a pre 64 Winchester it is not free floating (it has the bolt half way down the forearm through the stock into the barrel) Its not been bedded and has had no action work done to it. It is a post war rifle barrel date is 1949.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.