270-300 Win Mag now feasible

Good thread BJD. Hope you keep up the good work.

The gears started grinding between my ears the other day on what the outcome would be with the 170 Berger out of a 270-7mm Mag. I know I've loaded the 168 VLD to 3100-3150 in the 7mm with no issues in a 28" barrel. I thought if 3100 or so could be done with the 277 170gr bullet and brass would last 5-7 firings or so that would be pretty cool. Plus it's usually not to hard to get your hands on 7 mag brass from Winchester or Remington.

Have you gotten any idea on what your brass life is looking like with the loads you are settling in on?

I figured i would sacrafice the brass to research this load, i used a mixture of manufacturers once fired brass. I am on my third loading so that means 4x so far. My normal hunting loads rarely see 5x before i retire them. It isnt a .308 so i think 5x is as much as i could hope for in a primer pocket on a high performance load. Things would be different i am sure if it was lapua or norma quality, but it is fed rem and win.

BJD,

You're having way too much fun with it. Hopefully, you meet/exceed your goal and iron out all the kinks (if any) so when I am ready for my upgrade you'll share all the fun and it's all ready good to go ... like the fun we had with the .270 AI. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Cheers!

I thought this project might draw you out! There havent been any suprises so far, so if you need to rebarrel a 7mag or 300 win, this is an easy project. I could have used a 300 win mag body sleeve and a 270wby neck sizer, but redding made the dies so i just got those.

I figured i would sacrafice the brass to research this load, i used a mixture of manufacturers once fired brass. I am on my third loading so that means 4x so far. My normal hunting loads rarely see 5x before i retire them. It isnt a .308 so i think 5x is as much as i could hope for in a primer pocket on a high performance load. Things would be different i am sure if it was lapua or norma quality, but it is fed rem and win.

For just starting to play with the combo and get stuff figured out I think that 4-5x on the pockets is pretty **** good. Plus it sounds like you've been pushing the upper end a little so maybe a moderate charge would yield even more life.

Again, good job and good luck moving forward.

The ball powders like 869 and WC872 are carbon fouling mothers but they do get velocity. I shoot Retumbo in my 6.5-300wm only because it is stupid accurate. R-33 is about 70-80fps faster as is R-50. I haven't played with much else because I know barrel life is limited and the Retumbo load has shot a 1.8" vertical by 3.7" horizontal (the wind was switching a bit) group at 950yds. It's killed 3 elk in 3 years too.

The ball powders like 869 and WC872 are carbon fouling mothers but they do get velocity. I shoot Retumbo in my 6.5-300wm only because it is stupid accurate. R-33 is about 70-80fps faster as is R-50. I haven't played with much else because I know barrel life is limited and the Retumbo load has shot a 1.8" vertical by 3.7" horizontal (the wind was switching a bit) group at 950yds. It's killed 3 elk in 3 years too.

Sounda like you have agreat combo there. I have not seen any r-33 or even heard of r-50! But ifo ando when i run into them ill see what they do.

I can only wish for accuracy like your gun! Is it for sale?

It's not for sale. It's my go to rifle most of the time even though I build 4-5 rifles a year for myself. I do all my own gunsmithing so that helps with build cost.

GunBot powder reloading

That will show you who has what powder in stock. You'll have to pay a 28.50 Hazmat fee and shipping on top of that so I usually order a 8lb at a time just to make it worth it. Powder Valley and 3rd Generation are typically the cheapest.

I feel nosler missed a great opportunity by not coming out with a 27nosler. New cartrige and new bullets suitable for it. I think people would have been really excited for a high performance 270.

Big jake, I'm really enjoying this thread! Keep us posted!
They will have a 27. We don't always understand the "corporate" why but the 30 is next. It would have been cool to release the 26 then 27, 28 then 30 but that's not our say.

We may need to start a new thread for hot rodded 270s…

I just smacked an accuracy node on my Benchmark 28" 1-9 28" barrel…

Weatherby action…270 Weatherby

74grns of H1000 did an average of 3220fps with the Matrix 165gr bullets…

No primer or bolt lift issues…

ES of thirty rounds was 28…

Just got some IMR 7977…worked up to 74 grs…ave was 3130fps…for the Matrix 165s…ES was 22 Got to add more powder on the next batch…

Frick it was hot today...

Hot rodded 270s- man am i glad they finally started making some bullts for us!

Ill get an update and the next ladder of 869 this weekend.

7977- another one to go find!

Got to the range late this afternoon, it was still 93 degrees in sunny California at 5:00pm. The sun sets behind a hill that the targets sit on, so accurate shooting is very hard at that time of day. I had to use a t shirt like a sniper veil to cut the glare between my scope and my glasses. So with all of my excuses now firmly in place, here are the results:

Two loads with us869 shot very well and had adequate velocity. The first was at 3200 fps. And was making a ragged hole. The second was 1 1/2 grains heavier, knocking on 3300 fps and was a little over 1/2".

I will load both again in larger lots ( i only had three of each in the ladder). I did have pressure signs that i backed down from on the last load of the ladder. So this is probably my max with this bullet in this rifle.

Now i need to play with the 140 Cutting Edge Bullets!

Here are the targets. The three shot string was horizontal the picture. I am sure i pulled the third shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 122