270-300 Win Mag now feasible

I know it's not a real hot rod, but does anyone have any predictions for the 270 win with the heavier projectiles? My old pre 64 featherweight might be in the market for a new barrel in the next few hundred rounds so a larger cartridge may be in order but in the meantime, any thoughts?

The 270 Winmag...I wonder why winchester or Remington never came out with this.
Anyway, I wonder how this cartridge will compare to the standard 270WSM.
The 270 has always been my favorite round even though the 6.5 and 7mm are better for long range, but now since the 270 is no longer being looked at as the red headed step child, bullet manufactures are starting to enable it to be just as good as the 6.5s and 7mm's for long range.

Should've done more research before my last post, my rifle with a 10 twist is probably a bit slow....
i rechambered my existing 270 into a 270 AI a few years ago. It has a 1/10 barrel also. It shot very well with the Cutting Edge 130. Bc about .540, the nosler lrab in 150 -took two muleys and an elk with that one, and the Matrix 165s also shot very well.

I went with the faster twist on this barrel because it was available and now i can shoot the cutting edge 145s and if they ever make it to market the mythical Berger 170s

Velocity in my normal 270 was 3,000
fps with a 140 gr. as an Ai it was 3350 with the 130s, 3150 with the 150s. And 3000 with the 165s

The 270 Winmag...I wonder why winchester or Remington never came out with this.
Anyway, I wonder how this cartridge will compare to the standard 270WSM.
The 270 has always been my favorite round even though the 6.5 and 7mm are better for long range, but now since the 270 is no longer being looked at as the red headed step child, bullet manufactures are starting to enable it to be just as good as the 6.5s and 7mm's for long range.

Not to off track for the OP...

However...for me, I blame three things on the 270...

#1 is Marshal at Matrix Bullets...he actually made a real VLD for the 270...a true .65 BC G1

#2 the article here on Long Range Hunting about the 270 Win doing LRH with the 270 Win pushing the 165gr Matrix...

#3 I blame Benchmark Barrels for making a 1-9 barrel in the 270...

I guess that I can also actually blame Roy...for making the 270 Weatherby...

Pushing the 165gr Matrix to over 3200fps...pushing the Matrix 175gr to over 3100fps...pushing 150 grs to over 3350fps...

The 270-300 Win Mag (if ever produced) will have a bigger following than the 270 Weatherby...

Looking to see the results of the OP's cartridge...

For now, I am enjoying the Roy cartridge and Benchmark Barrels...

Next test load ladder is ready for this weekend. I am running 869 probably as hot as i dare, but time will tell. The weather will only be about 110, so ill have these shells in a cooler at the range! All of this is with the Matrix 165s.

I thought about running the Nosler 150s, but this cartridge has the horsepower for the heavier bullets, so i want to stay focused there.

I have a seperate target dot for each load, ill shoot three at each dot, rotating one shot at each, then two at each, so the barrel heat wont make the first group look better than all the others.

Hopefully I'll hit near 3,300 with good accuracy. That's my goal.

I feel nosler missed a great opportunity by not coming out with a 27nosler. New cartrige and new bullets suitable for it. I think people would have been really excited for a high performance 270.

Big jake, I'm really enjoying this thread! Keep us posted!

I feel nosler missed a great opportunity by not coming out with a 27nosler. New cartrige and new bullets suitable for it. I think people would have been really excited for a high performance 270.

Big jake, I'm really enjoying this thread! Keep us posted!

Yeah I'm loving it too,I just got back from the gunsmith and my 27 nosler will be ready next week, seeing the performance of the 270-300wm has got me excited.How did the 150LRAB shoot,unfortunately it's all I have access to at the moment.Keep up the great work.

Yeah I'm loving it too,I just got back from the gunsmith and my 27 nosler will be ready next week, seeing the performance of the 270-300wm has got me excited.How did the 150LRAB shoot,unfortunately it's all I have access to at the moment.Keep up the great work.

Thanks- this has actually been a lot fun, more than work! I shot the 150s and had good accuracy with h1000 to 3300 fps. I have not tried us869 on them as my hunting season is approaching and this year i have chosen to use the 165s or the mythical Bergers if they come out in time.

I will pursue this load but ill have to wait until november. I will also look at the Cutting Edge 145s at that time.

Bob Beck of Extreme OuterLimits and MOA Rifles was on Firing Line Radio Show talking about the Bergers and his decision to chamber a fast twist 270wsm. I talked with hom about this project because it simple has more horsepower than the wsm. We'll see.

JJ, I am getting 3000 fps @ 70 deg with the NLRAB with 57.4 7828ssc, 26" 5R in the 270 Win. The barrel is 10 twist and at just above sea level.

Next test load ladder is ready for this weekend. I am running 869 probably as hot as i dare, but time will tell. The weather will only be about 110, so ill have these shells in a cooler at the range! All of this is with the Matrix 165s.

I thought about running the Nosler 150s, but this cartridge has the horsepower for the heavier bullets, so i want to stay focused there.

I have a seperate target dot for each load, ill shoot three at each dot, rotating one shot at each, then two at each, so the barrel heat wont make the first group look better than all the others.

Hopefully I'll hit near 3,300 with good accuracy. That's my goal.

BJD,

You're having way too much fun with it. Hopefully, you meet/exceed your goal and iron out all the kinks (if any) so when I am ready for my upgrade you'll share all the fun and it's all ready good to go ... like the fun we had with the .270 AI. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

Good thread BJD. Hope you keep up the good work.

The gears started grinding between my ears the other day on what the outcome would be with the 170 Berger out of a 270-7mm Mag. I know I've loaded the 168 VLD to 3100-3150 in the 7mm with no issues in a 28" barrel. I thought if 3100 or so could be done with the 277 170gr bullet and brass would last 5-7 firings or so that would be pretty cool. Plus it's usually not to hard to get your hands on 7 mag brass from Winchester or Remington.

Have you gotten any idea on what your brass life is looking like with the loads you are settling in on?