270 / 08 ?

kevan

Several years ago now I bought a Rem.700 Ti in 260 and unfortunately it had a bad barrel.
So knowing I like wildcats a gunsmith friend re-barrelled it to 270/08 and truthfully I am really enjoying it.
Which brings the next question.... Is anyone else playing with one or am I the only nut on the block ?
Mine shoots practically any weight of 270 bullet from 130 to 160 into tiny groups.
One particular bullet, a long discontinued 160 gr, blunt nosed CIL bullet of which I have about 800 has proven to be a fantastic bullet rivalling a Partition for performance.

Anyway, back to the question.... Am I the only crazy 270/08 nut here ?

With Berger and other companies coming out with higher BC .277 Bullets, I don't see why gun manufacturers wouldn't push the 'New and Improved' version. They are always looking for the next sales innovation.

Nope I'm crazy also, I have a couple of them in the AI verson. Mine are match rifles though.

Several years ago now I bought a Rem.700 Ti in 260 and unfortunately it had a bad barrel.
So knowing I like wildcats a gunsmith friend re-barrelled it to 270/08 and truthfully I am really enjoying it.
Which brings the next question.... Is anyone else playing with one or am I the only nut on the block ?
Mine shoots practically any weight of 270 bullet from 130 to 160 into tiny groups.
One particular bullet, a long discontinued 160 gr, blunt nosed CIL bullet of which I have about 800 has proven to be a fantastic bullet rivalling a Partition for performance.

Anyway, back to the question.... Am I the only crazy 270/08 nut here ?

270/08 When enough is enough.

270 Tried and true
270Wby Old guard
270WSM New guard
270/300WM Seems a great wildcat.
270/26-Nosler Wow!. I made and still have one. Once I get it feeding solid, it will be for sale.

An easy fit in the magazine.
~2200'lb, plenty of power.
A 270/08 may be in my future.

270/08 When enough is enough.

270 Tried and true
270Wby Old guard
270WSM New guard
270/300WM Seems a great wildcat.
270/26-Nosler Wow!. I made and still have one. Once I get it feeding solid, it will be for sale.

An easy fit in the magazine.
~2200'lb, plenty of power.
A 270/08 may be in my future.

The 270 Wby "old guard"?...There is still some life in the old lady...:)

With my new action with a longer mag box, I can load her up to 3.7" to shoot the 165 to 175 gr heavies.

Long case neck to help slow down throat erosion.

Nice and steep, rounded case shoulders.

No fire forming necessary and brass is everywhere.

Pushing the 165 to 170 gr heavies to over 3200fps. 150gr @3350fps+, 140gr at over 3600fps...And even load her down to more "sane" speeds...

Longtooth32

There is definitely life in the 270Wby. As a Wby collector of course I have one. I load for a friends as well.

I have every caliber mentioned in a rifle except the 270/300WM. With a 270/26-Nosler, no need for me to go that route.

However,, someday I will probably make a 270/08 just because.

Kevan,there is definitely room for a .277/.308 chambering out there.I t would fit into my .270 world fairly well to and would be a superlative sheep rifle/chambering imo.In my world any hunting rifle has got to have a rifle barrel to be 22"long or less,especially when packing it up,through and over the rocks pursuing bighorn sheep etc.What numbers have you come up with with a chronograph?I recognize you from another site and realize your widespread experience and would like to hear more about the rifle.Cheers

Dang It! You guys are bad for my bank account.

I'll bet you could easily hit 2550fps with the 170gr. Berger EOL in a 1:7 twist 24" barrel chambered in an improved .270/08 and still use the magazine.

Dang It! You guys are bad for my bank account.

I'll bet you could easily hit 2550fps with the 170gr. Berger EOL in a 1:7 twist 24" barrel chambered in an improved .270/08 and still use the magazine.
It does sound interesting ...might dent my bank account too

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.