.265 cal vs .284

What about 6.5SLR? .260 Rem case capacity with 6.5x47L neck and shoulders....

My daughter (and other family members too) have been slaying game with one for a few years. Mule deer mostly, with a pronghorn in there too.
From 35 to 637 yards. With either a 130 AR Hyb or 140HVLD.

Since you put elk into the equation then my vote is on the 280AI, all day. Without elk I would have voted the 6.5 creed or 260. Heck even the 6 creed or 6BR / 6BRA would suit you really well for up to deer size game.

You said that you handload so I have to ask, why limit yourself to so few cartridges? There are several good wildcats out there that could serve you well. Just pick up a used R700 or Tikka and send it off to get barreled for the cartridge of your choice. It'd be a little more expensive than a factory rifle but opens up your options considerably.

What about 6.5SLR? .260 Rem case capacity with 6.5x47L neck and shoulders....

My daughter (and other family members too) have been slaying game with one for a few years. Mule deer mostly, with a pronghorn in there too.
From 35 to 637 yards. With either a 130 AR Hyb or 140HVLD.
Haven't heard of it to tell the truth.i would be going with a 6.5x47 but cant find a rifle chambered in it

Since you put elk into the equation then my vote is on the 280AI, all day. Without elk I would have voted the 6.5 creed or 260. Heck even the 6 creed or 6BR / 6BRA would suit you really well for up to deer size game.

You said that you handload so I have to ask, why limit yourself to so few cartridges? There are several good wildcats out there that could serve you well. Just pick up a used R700 or Tikka and send it off to get barreled for the cartridge of your choice. It'd be a little more expensive than a factory rifle but opens up your options considerably.
I'm looked at a few wild cats but I do not have all of the funds to do a full custom build right now.i am thanking of holding off for awhile and having a custom built if I could ever get ahold of my local gun smith

Keep shooting the 308 and save for a custom. It's definitely worth it. Then decide if you want a 180 at 2850 or a 156 at 2950 from the 280 AI or 6.5-284 respectively and make your cartridge decision. Both great options. And make sure you have good glass factored in.

There's only one other poster that brought the .284 into this scenario. Personally it's the only cartridge that fits your requirement in a short action platform with plenty of elk killing ability. I built a .284 on a short Remington action. I load to 2.980 COAL. I strictly shoot the 162 Hornady ELDs. I can push them 3000 fps from a 25" barrel. My powder is Reloader 17 and it's not a hot load. I've shot this round over 3080 but it's getting hot at that speed. Accuracy is 2975-3005. Run those numbers against any other Non-magnum short action. It's a tough combination to compete with running 162 grain bullets. Pleasant to shoot. Accurate and in a small package. Good luck. John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.