264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

I feel your pain in the LH search. I wanted a magnum back in 2021 and settled with the Bergara Approach in RH. I've had a few issues with light primer strikes, but it is a tack driver. I'm still doing load development but almost every load has been under 3/4" with berger 168's.
I shoot long guns mainly left handed, but being ambidextrous is a +. I'm so used too shooting RH guns LH that it's normal for me. If I had a LH gun I wouldn't know what to do with it? I'd be lost o_O . I'm thinking about getting a left bolt and right ejection setup.

I shoot long guns mainly left handed, but being ambidextrous is a +. I'm so used too shooting RH guns LH that it's normal for me. If I had a LH gun I wouldn't know what to do with it? I'd be lost o_O . I'm thinking about getting a left bolt and right ejection setup.
I Just did a post on LH guns this is one of my quotes from it:

It is very mental. I grew up shooting an ambi recurve left handed and built the all the muscle memory. I wanted to get into bow hunting around 12yrs old and left handed bows were out of the question. I got an old alpine compound from my dads friend and practiced all summer. I killed several deer with that bow. I was about 16 when I saw a used Matthews in left hand. I jumped on it. I was better with it. I still have it...

I started pistol shooting around 18 and used my right hand and left eye. It dawned on me to try it completely left hand and I automatically started shooting better. I even carry concealed left hand now. My draw times are fast and accuracy is good. This may be the only area were I feel pretty advantaged shooting left hand. There is a lot to gain having your dominant hand free to work...

Training can cover a multitude of sin, but natural feels natural. With my southpaw son, I embrace it...

That's because it was ahead of its time. With powder and bullets today it's an amazing cartridge. That is why you need to buy an a barrel that has at least a 1-8 twist.
Thats called a 6.5 prc lol. Lets face it the gp doesnt build guns. The saami twist on the 264 limits bullet weight.

Only if you over heat the barrel. My 264 WM that I bought in 1963 lasted until 2010 before a new barrel and I shot a lot of rounds through it. Including 85gr HP at 3824fps. Shot a lot of ground hogs with it.
I have my Dad's Browning Safari 264 WM from 1959 and one I bought early 70s that have had no telling how many rounds through them and both still shoot fine…..how many rounds are you actually going to shoot in a hunting rifle in a lifetime? ……..especially if you have other rifles that you're using!

I Just did a post on LH guns this is one of my quotes from it:

It is very mental. I grew up shooting an ambi recurve left handed and built the all the muscle memory. I wanted to get into bow hunting around 12yrs old and left handed bows were out of the question. I got an old alpine compound from my dads friend and practiced all summer. I killed several deer with that bow. I was about 16 when I saw a used Matthews in left hand. I jumped on it. I was better with it. I still have it...

I started pistol shooting around 18 and used my right hand and left eye. It dawned on me to try it completely left hand and I automatically started shooting better. I even carry concealed left hand now. My draw times are fast and accuracy is good. This may be the only area were I feel pretty advantaged shooting left hand. There is a lot to gain having your dominant hand free to work...

Training can cover a multitude of sin, but natural feels natural. With my southpaw son, I embrace it...

I was forced at an early age (before I can remember) to use my right hand. My mother told me about this and said why I was such a good switch hitter and so ambidextrous. She couldn't do anything about my feet though. Left footed and right handed is strange, but that's me.

3400 fps is smoking! Love a laser, not a as much of a fan of replacing barrels every 500rds though. Lol

My votes for the 7RM with proper twist rate to run the heavier 180 class bullets. I do love a 6.5WM though.

Here's my 7RM chart. 180gn Bergers Hybrids @ 2960 G1 BC .680 G7 BC .349

D989D1D5-E9AE-4151-8DD5-B0E0C4287B7F.jpeg

Last edited:
I've yet to see or hear of a PRC doing what a Win Mag does. Capacity wise the Win Mag is way ahead, 79gr H2O for then 264 and 62gr H2O for the PRC.

Check out the nosler load data. The PRC is very efficient. With the lighter bullets it's what for what. Even with a 140 it's within 75 fps.