264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

Out here in Wyoming we love to hunt and shoot. I try to take my grandsons every chance I get. We do our part in Wyoming for most guns per capita lol.
My 12 year old grandson is deadly with an heavy barreled ar and my 6 year old grandson is **** good with his 10/22.
They both have a 2.5" total case length. Why? Because that was the same basic length cases that worked well in the standard 30-06 based actions, which were plentiful and could be had for very reasonable prices compared to the true magnum length actions available in the late 40's and early 50's. They both were preceded by many wildcats that were basically the same; Ackley, Frank Barnes, Mashburn, Apex, and Durham all developed similar cartridges just to name a few. But if you want to follow it back to its logical starting spot , you have to go back to 1912 and look at what Holland and Holland was doing at the time. Yep, 1912, long before Winchester or Remington had a clue they wanted or needed a 2.500" magnum case in any caliber, Holland and Holland introduced the 275 H&H magnum. If you can dig up the case dimensions on it you won't have any trouble figuring how the .264 and 7mm mags got The 195 Berger out of my

as of late I've been running my 7-300 with 195 Berger's at 3020 suppressed. My grandson says it's kicks a little bit. I showed him if u want down range energy and accuracy this is a good combination of speed and ballistics. He's still learning but he loves to go out and shoot.

I'd like to see what load is pushing a 160 in a 264 win mag 3200 out the muzzle. Either way the if can be done. A 162 eldx or eldm from a 7mm has a higher B.C. and will leave it.
The load is not a safe load so I will not give it out as someone else my try it and ruin there day. This is a 3 shot average with a crono. The bullet stats are on the ballistic chart. This was using the old H570 powder.

Attachments

• 264WM 160gr woodleigh PPSN 001.jpg
    264WM 160gr woodleigh PPSN 001.jpg
    975.9 KB · Views: 37
The load is not a safe load so I will not give it out as someone else my try it and ruin there day. This is a 3 shot average with a crono. The bullet stats are on the ballistic chart. This was using the old H570 powder.
I've been running my Creed 140s just over 2900. 5 shot group under a dime at 100 yards. My niece keeps trying to claim it as hers. But not until I'm gone lol. She took her first two deer with that rifle. She will prophet it for her birthday. It's a 6.5 creed but it's deadly.
I'm so proud of her.

This is kinda where I am at.

Sure there's not much gap between the .308 & .338 but I'm just getting into .338 so we will see if it's any better than .308.

I invested heavily in 6.5 caliber a long time ago but really 7 outshines it at really long distances. 800 and under, call it a wash.
I'm not too different in my loadings. Pre-2020 I'd consolidated many of my choices to make loading easier at the time but demand/shortages has made me invest and expand a bit.

.223/5.56 (rifles are already owned for basic and standard for plinking/home defense)

6mm CM (part of a new switch barrel build)

7mm (7mm-08 and 280 AI rifles are already owned. 7mm PRC will be a part of the switch barrel build)

338/375 (part of a new switch barrel build but deciding between 338 Wby RPM or 375 Ruger)

Never owned either, but I do have a couple 6.5's. I think this has a lot more to do with what the average guy's everyday caliber of use is. I think most people are either 7 or 30 cal fans. If you're a 7 fan, 6.5's probably don't do much for you, being too close in diameter to the 7's. Likewise 30 cal guys don't have much use for a 7. I think 30 cal guys are more likely to also have a 6.5 since its diameter is substantially farther away from a 308. and much more pleasant to shot than a 30 cal, generally speaking. I don't think that I would go out and buy a 264wm these days, but I wished I had one just the same.