.264 win mag realadoing data

halpin40

I just purchased a .264 win mag remington CDL 26" Fluted Barrell. Reserching load options for this caliber. Tried running through all the threads curretnly posted regarding .264 and have gathered the following opinions:

Powder:
Retumbo or H1000 seems to be the best. Has anybody experimented with IMR 4831? Curretnly use IMR 4831, reloader 22, & Retumbo for other caliburs. Not sure if I want to enter another power into the inventory. Any input on powders would be appreciated. Any recomendations on current laods?

Bullets:

140 grn Bergers seem to be the bullet of choice. however, there has been some questions asked about the expansion rate of the berger bullets compared to other mfg's. Are there any concerns from past experinces with berger bullets?

Also nolser accubonds seem to be the second bullet of choice! Any info regarding these?

Has anybody shot hornaday 140 grn SST's?

Swift 129 grn bullets seem to only shoot well out of custom barrells 27" or greater? Based solely on past comments within this forum!

any and all info appreicaiated and welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Oh ya! Main use for this gun will be deer/elk with some shots at coyotes here and there! 600 yrds or less!

Thanks!

I shoot 61 grains of retumbo out of mine using the 130 grain bergers with cci 250 primers. it is a tack driver. i have the sendero with the 26in barrel and the trigger is set at 2.5 lbs and the stock is bedded. this is the best load i have found with my gun. at 300 yds im shooting 1 inch groups. the 140 grain bergers dont shoot as well as the 130s do in mine but still shot good enough.

For deer hunting with my 264 I only use Nosler 100 gr. ballistic tips and reloader 22.
only take head neck or high shoulder close to spine shots drt every time.

I tried IMR 4831, Re 22, and Retumbo. Retumbo had the Highest velocity, lowest ES, and best accuracy for me, and I have the same gun, only in stainless. My load is 68 gr of Retumbo WW cases, Fed 215M primers and 140 gr Berger hunting VLD's. Velocity is 3166, ES in the single digits and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. I'm .010 off the lands also.

I have the same Sendero. I use RE25, 70.0 grains, FED215m, Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips and get 3300fps, very low es and sd. 1/2" groups at 100. I have a Kenton knob on the scope and have shot fist sized rocks at 700 yards with it. Due to what I believe is the twist rate, I have not gotten consistent results from 140 Bergers or SMKs at long range. I have also shot 130 Bergers and Normas and have come back to 120 ballistic tips due to their consistent performance. When I rebarrel, it will be an 8 1/2 twist Krieger and it should really shine with the 140 and 142s.

I have a similar cartridge that holds a little less powder but have also found retumbo and RL25 to be two of the best choices. RL22 and IMR7828 are also good.....Rich

I have a Rem 700 with a Shilen 27 3/4" barrel. I tried H-4831, AA3100, IMR 4350 and then I found Retumbo. Retumbo was by far the best powder for velocity and accuracy at the same time. My rifle shot really good groups with 120 ballistic tips and 140 Hornady SST with all the powders. Then I tried the 130 Nosler Accubond and worked up to 66.5 grs of Retumbo and got ragged hole groups at 100 yards and 3350 fps and that is where I stopped. I used this load to kill 4 deer from 98 to 275 yards this past fall. All were one shot drop them in their tracks shots made to either one shoulder or through both. I recovered one of the bullets from a buck that I shot at 111 yards. It entered the front edge of the left shoulder as the deer was facing me at a left shoulder slightly angled at me stance. The bullet destroyed the shoulder and made soup of the vitals and when I was cutting up the meat I found the bullet in the right ham. It was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. That bullet had to still be doing around 3200 fps on impact and it worked perfectly. I have shot a number of deer with the 120 ballistic tip out of a 6.5X55 Swede at 3000 fps muzzle velocity. That bullet really comes apart when you put it into the shoulder of a deer inside 150 yards. I was afraid to use it in my 264 mag because it was going 3600 fps with my most accurate load. I have never shot any Berger bullets in my 264 mag. The only deer I have ever killed with a Berger was with the 30 cal 155 vld at 2650 fps from my 30X47 HBR. It was at the same crossing as the deer that I recovered the 130 AB from. 111 yards broad side through the shoulders. The deer acted like you had shot it out of a cannon when the bullet hit. It took off and ran about 50 yards before going down. It had an exit hole that you could literally drop a base ball into. I like the way the Accubond bullets work for that one bullet all around one load will do it all from deer to elk. I have never hunted elk because they don't live around here but I do kill a lot of deer. I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with the 130 AB in my 264 mag if I had the opportunity.

Thanks for all the info! i purchased the 140 grn bergers and will try to work up some loads next week and see how they shoot!

Thanks for all the info! i purchased the 140 grn bergers and will try to work up some loads next week and see how they shoot!

If they don't shoot well right away, don't give up. The seating depth can be a bit touchy. Mine likes to be stuffed into the rifling a bit.

i havent chronoed it yet but its not skooting as near as fast as that round can reach but it shoots very well. i have it backed off .10 off the lands

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.