260 vs 6.5x55 vs 7mm-08

Elkwonder

Ok I have read through a couple of threads making comparisons of these calibers, but is seems most are going off old load data for the 6.5x55 and it seems that caliber can be loaded hotter in todays rifles. I have been unable to find any info where people are reloading or have ever reloaded for more than one of these calibers so that they could give "real world" information. I am looking for an antelope and mule-deer gun, and would like to know the real skinny on these three rounds. I WILL be reloading, and the rifle WILL be a Tikka T3X with a 22.5 inch barrel if barrel length matters at all in choosing between these calibers. I am not interested in the 7mm-08 being capable of shooting larger bullets for elk hunting as I will have a 300wsm for that.... Thank you for the info.

Give up on Remington CDL SF?

I don't shoot ALL of these but have much experience with the ole 6.5 Creedmoor. My advise would be not to get a lower powdered 6.5 anything, with a 22.5 in. barrel, for long range antelope and mule deer. They can use the longer barrel for additional speed. It just helps. Even if it's just 1.5 Inches extra. That will probably give you about 75 extra FPS

I would recommend an American made rifle like the Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 (24") or the Savage Long Range Hunter (24")

I know what they say, "Tikka actions are like butter." What they don't tell you is that the stock feels like it has butter on it and the action slides around in the stock like butter too! With a Savage you could actually replace the barrel yourself with a nice 26" custom barrel and then really be hitting stuff waaaay out there. Plus BOTH of the Savage's are available in 260. They also have longer mags to allow you to seat bullets much further out.

The gun will going into a different stock and the lug will be bedded. No worries there. Not a fan of savage, sorry. Thanks

I love my 7mm-08. I have been shooting the 140gr Accubonds at about 2800 fps, which I figure will work for most anything at the ranges I am likely to shoot.

Understood. I would check out the new Ruger Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a lot of rifle for the dollar and would probably be cheaper than the Tikka with a new stock and lug. + it would have a 24" barrel and removable brake. It just doesn't get much better than that.

Also, Don't know if you have heard, but Lapua is bringing out 6.5 Creedmoor brass at 2017 SHOT. It is supposed to use a small primer pocket like their Palma and 6.5x47 stuff. This is a pretty big development with the Creedmoor. It will allow higher pressures and brass life at the same time and should be incredibly popular.. I wouldn't be shopping around for a 260 or 6.5X55 with the Lapua Creedmoor brass coming to the table. Unfortunately, Tikka doesn't do the Creed.

With the short 22.5" barrel I would go with the 260 Rem. You can have a much better variety of cases for it by simply running 243 Win case into a 260 Rem FL sizing die. 243's come out perfect, 308's come out a little too short in the neck length. When Remington first came out with the 260 my hunting buddy got one in a SS Rem 700 with a 24" barrel. He could not even get any ammo for it or cases at that time and there was no load data out yet so we started from scratch like working with a wild cat and experimented. We ended up using Remington 243 cases necked up, H-4350 powder, CCI-BR primers with 120 gr and 140 gr Sierra Sp bullets. We were doing crop damage control on a big farm in east NC and that season my buddy killed 49 deer and I got him to let me use it a couple evenings and I killed 3 deer with it. Deer were shot any were from on top of us to around 500 yards and only one deer moved out of it's tracks and it took 3 jumps and was down. He used the 120 Sierra bullet most of the time. I have a Mauser 96 in 6.5x55 that I made a nice sporter out of. I left the 29" barrel on it because with the under 46000 CUP loads you can still get some very high velocity. 3000 fps with 120's and 2800 with 140's. For deer I really like the 120 Nosler BT doing about 3000 fps with 46 grs Accurate 4350, Rem cases, Fed. 210 Match primer. 6.5s are real deer killers especially when you get them really moving like my 27 3/4" barrel 264 Win mag, 130 Accubonds at 3350 fps shoot flat and hit really hard. :D You will not regret getting a 260 Remington. Good luck and good shooting.

I love the .260 Rem/.260 AI...But I also love the 7mm-08.

Since you mentioned mulies, I'd say go for the 7mm-08 and work up a Berger 168 VLD load with Lapua or Nosler brass, Fed 210M's, and Varget.

Ok I have read through a couple of threads making comparisons of these calibers, but is seems most are going off old load data for the 6.5x55 and it seems that caliber can be loaded hotter in todays rifles. I have been unable to find any info where people are reloading or have ever reloaded for more than one of these calibers so that they could give "real world" information. I am looking for an antelope and mule-deer gun, and would like to know the real skinny on these three rounds. I WILL be reloading, and the rifle WILL be a Tikka T3X with a 22.5 inch barrel if barrel length matters at all in choosing between these calibers. I am not interested in the 7mm-08 being capable of shooting larger bullets for elk hunting as I will have a 300wsm for that.... Thank you for the info.

What happened with the Rem. Sendero 7 mag. in your previous thread?

What happened with the Rem. Sendero 7 mag. in your previous thread?

Im scared to invest in Remington. I have talked with local gunshop owners as well as getting thoughts from several forums and it seems like Tikka is a safer bet for getting an out of the box accurate rifle, plus the Tikka is a lot cheaper. My heart wants Remingtons, but my brain says Tikkas.....lol

Im scared to invest in Remington. I have talked with local gunshop owners as well as getting thoughts from several forums and it seems like Tikka is a safer bet for getting an out of the box accurate rifle, plus the Tikka is a lot cheaper. My heart wants Remingtons, but my brain says Tikkas.....lol

Not to burst your bubble, but Tikkas have their faults, too... Like the crappy lug design. So, don't think they're perfect. Just like every manufacturer, there is going to be issues with mass-production rifles.

Here's a few from the first page of a quick Google search...

Tikka T3 Problems - THR
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156955
Tikka T3 Stainless Lite .25-06 Accuracy Issues
Poor Tikka T3 Lite Accuracy

Any factory rifle is going to be a gamble... Pick which one has the most positive things you like about it, and go for it.

Just picked up a Tikka T3 lite myself in 6.5x55. I picked the Swede cause it has Factory Lapua brass, can be loaded hotter than the 260, and shoots the 140s with a better BC than the 7-08. I have 3 Tikkas and they all shoot lights out (1/2 MOA), have a great easily adjustable 2 lb trigger and butter smooth action.

There are two stock T3 Lites in our group; a 338 Federal and a 7mm Rem mag. Both are very accurate and have taken muleys and elk. I would suggest the 6.5x55 with the 120/125 Nolsers. Now, I've never owned a 6.5 Swede ( I just got my first, "Big Swede" a 358 Norma Mag, ha) but I have used both the 260 and 6.5/284. I used the Hornady 129sp in the 260 and it was a tough bullet, slow killer on axis and Mouflon. I went to the 6.5/284 and since it was in a short action I just stuck to the lighter weights. It was a real killer and wind beater...but that case was a bear to get to feed right. So, since you like the tikka, go with the Swede! If you want a wildcat, the 260 AI in a long action will put you right in 6.5/284 territory. You could even have that Tikka 6.5 Swede reamed out to the 6.5/06, but the 22" barrel wouldn't give top speeds with it either. Good luck to you, and have a ball!

I have been unable to find any info where people are reloading or have ever reloaded for more than one of these calibers so that they could give "real world" information.

Realguns is a great place to look.
Real Guns - Modern Loads for the 6.5x55 Swedish

Have built, all on Savage actions, and loaded for 260, 7mm-08, 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5x55 was and still is my choice over all the rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.