.260 Rem or 6.5X47 Lapua?

6.5 x 47 Lapua - Intermediate Cartridge, Small Side

There are some good posts and advice on this thread. I've just taken delivery of a 6.5 x 47 Lapua barreled action - getting fitted to an AICS stock this coming week. I'm figuring velocity will be less than 260 and I won't be pushing things trying to keep up with a 260. I'm more thinking about this cartridge as a quieter 260 or a beefed up 6.5 Grendel.

Zak Smith will have a writeup coming out on the 47 Lapua pretty soon; no doubt it will be a comprehensive report that will be helpful in the future for those pondering a 6.5 rifle.

I started getting serious about accuracy with a 243, then went to 7mm-08, now this 6.5 x 47 Lapua. It looks to be a solid performer to 600 yards which is where I'm at now.

I'm also guessing that this round will be well suited to a lighter profile 22 inch barrel and a light stock to make a great walking around / deer rifle out to 300 yards.

Hi,

Any updates on this rifle?

I may have missed posts somewhere else, if so sorry. I just wondered how it worked out and whether performance met expectations (whatever those were exactly!?)?

WL

The principal advantage of the 6.5x47 over the 260 is the ability to correctly seat 140gn+ projectiles with minimal intrusion below the cartridge neck when using a standard short action (model 7 or short action 700) you can't do that with the 260 (or the 243 with 105gn+, 7mm/08 140gn, or 270/08 130gn) in a short action. Therefore any gains in case capacity of the 260 etc are lost by having to seat the projectile to deep in the 308 length cases. The 6.5x47 in a short action will therefore outperform the 260 because has more effective case capacity with 140gn+ in the short action & can also run a higher working pressure

Another update to bring this thread current is that we now offer 260 Remington cases, making the brass quality issue a moot point. Sgt. Sherri Gallagher of the USAMU used the 260 to win the Nationals at Perry this year, setting an astonishing new national record of 2396/2400 in the process. Both great cartridges, take your pick!

Jon Mcnab got it right!!!!! It is better if using a std. mag length gun,,,if shooting a single shot gun w/o an OAL issue,,go with the .260.....just like the Grendel in the Ar15 platform..its only GREAT in the Ar15 ,,, dont mean to get off track w/ GRendel

Ideal stalking rifle for me is a stainless model 7 in 6.5x47, fluted 22" Kreiger barrell, McMillan hunters edge stock with a Nightforce compact 2.5 - 10 mildot scope, Nightforce ultralite low rings on a B square low rail mount. I flirted with a Leupold Mk4 Tac 4.5 - 15 on it, but while the scope was superb it defeated the purpose of the rifle being a compact light weight stalker

The above rig delivers 1/2 MOA with any good projectile, but the 140 amax have proven to be the best killers on fallow and red deer out to 420 metres so far, still wondering why Hornady think they're a target # only

weight of the whole package including harris "s series" bipod, sling and 4 in the mag is 7lbs

So far I haven't changed my opinion that the 6.5x47 has the equivalent field performance of the 270

The little rifle has now brought up 27 one shot kills on fallow and red

Ehhh, the 6.5x47L and. 260 are just as accurate, I don't care what the FPS sais. They both should give you great barrel life. So it comes down to brass really, and there's a clear winner there. 6.5x47 Lapua brass is virtually unbeatable. You'll get what you pay for, with the 6.5x47. You can't really go wrong with either, but I think the 6.5x47 is the winner. Still, i'de feel comfortable up to 1000 with both, and with the 6.5x47 you can put the butt of the gun against your eyeball and fire, potentially they are both tacdrivers with .22 recoil.

6.5x47 wins in a short action platform, a 260 handloaded with 140gns or heavier projectile seated with the only the boattail in the powder space requires a standard Mauser length action to get the best out of it

The 260 will push the 123 or 142 SMk bullets faster with more recoil and powder,,brass is not a problem as Lapua makes both and Nosler makes great 260 brass. If you already have one or the other ,, your not gaining anything buy getting the other..use the Sierra 123 MK's in the 260 with a short action and push em to 3000 fps...you will love it..That is my opinion...yes the 6.5x47 is great and would be better in a light weight Model 7 Walking gun....anything in the 6.5 arena is great....dont forget the 6.5 Creedmoor

Regarding the .260 Remington; what twist rate is recommended for bullets ranging from 120 gr. Nosler BT to 142gr. SMK?? Thanks for any advice.

1 in 8 Kreiger and Shilen barrels I have tested work perfectly for that range of projectiles in 6.5x47, I cannot imagine the 260 would be any different

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.