26 Nosler????? !!!!!

With my 264WM using Woodleigh 160gr PPSN @ 3095fps zeroed at 350yd +4.2 @ 100yd, +6.1 @ 200yd, -3.3 @ 300yd, -4.7 @ 400yd, -18.9 @ 500yd and -39.9 @ 600yd with + or - values in inches. It will be interesting to see the numbers on the 26 when all is said and done.:)

I just got word from Midway USA that the RCBS dies I ordered in 26 Nosler have showed up (are in stock) - in case anybody else wanted to jump on the bandwagon. The brass I also ordered is still backordered until mid June they say. Nosler told me the brass would be available in mid April so maybe I didn't get in line soon enough. No matter as the rifle won't be done for a couple of months anyway.

Different strokes my friend :cool:. For where & how I hunt it offers little to no advantage; we still glass & range then decide whether or not the fuzzy wuzzy is something we want to harvest. The extra 10seconds to dial is not a deal breaker again, for how I roll. I totally understand how different philosophies are from hunter to hunter, please don't think I'm taking a shot at you brother; I most certainly am not :)

I'm eagerly awaiting the first report of the 160 Matrix in the 26 Nosler....

For a fast stepping predator hunter (under 500 as you stated) zeroing at 350 isn't a bad idea at all.

t
For most of the shooting I do, it's a matter of spot them from the truck and from the time I hit the brakes usually I've got 30 seconds or less to put a sold killing shot on them before they disappear into the brush. Once they make the brush it's over. That goes for both Deer and Coyotes. There's simply no time for ranging with the range finder and dialing. It's estimate best you can, set your hold over/under accordingly and pull the trigger.

Now for the kind of "Long Range Hunting" we do from a blind or hide, it's useless but for the quick shots it's really essential.

For most of the shooting I do, it's a matter of spot them from the truck and from the time I hit the brakes usually I've got 30 seconds or less to put a sold killing shot on them before they disappear into the brush. Once they make the brush it's over. That goes for both Deer and Coyotes. There's simply no time for ranging with the range finder and dialing. It's estimate best you can, set your hold over/under accordingly and pull the trigger.

Now for the kind of "Long Range Hunting" we do from a blind or hide, it's useless but for the quick shots it's really essential.

I understand completely. Especially for 'yotes, I don't know that there is a better way to do it. Where I hunt, trees or tall brush are a rarity unless you count sagebrush as bonzai trees :D

t

I understand completely. Especially for 'yotes, I don't know that there is a better way to do it. Where I hunt, trees or tall brush are a rarity unless you count sagebrush as bonzai trees :D

t
HA! I know what you mean my friend, I've been through there a few times.

Texas on the other hand is not what most people imagine once you get off of the Llano Estacado but the wheat fields make for some sweet long range shooting opportunities.

I have no desire to own one, but I stumbled across .26 Nosler dies for sale, if anyone needs any. Just thought I'd share my findings if anyone needs any help.

26 Nosler*Full Length 2 Die Set | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

RCBS 2-Die Set 26 Nosler

If I didn't already have a Creedmoore, WSM & access to a 6.5-06AI... I'd be all over this like a fat kid on cupcakes. There just isn't enough performance difference between this & my WSM to justify another $4k.... not that I don't want to anyway :cool:

t

any of you 6.5 shooters ever use the Rem Accutip bullets ? any results too share ?

140 gr and bc of .520 , same bc as a Hornady 140 gr SST

thinking of ordering some while they are on sale at Natchez

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RM24166

$19.99 per box ain't too bad and cheaper than Midway

Remington AccuTip Bullets 264 Cal 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain Boat
It's pretty decent at .260 speeds. I've shot a dozen coyotes and a couple of does with them and was pleased with the results.

At 26 Nosler speeds they might turn into little flying bombs though. They do get good expansion even if you don't hit anything tougher than hide and maybe a rib on entry at 260 speeds which is what makes me suspicious that like the SST they will become pretty explosive at these velocities.

Dang it !
was looking for a sturdier bullet , I will be launching 140's a bit faster than the 26 Nosler

I was hoping they would work on coyotes and wolves from 100 to 500 yards

any of you 6.5 shooters ever use the Rem Accutip bullets ? any results too share ?

140 gr and bc of .520 , same bc as a Hornady 140 gr SST

thinking of ordering some while they are on sale at Natchez

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RM24166

$19.99 per box ain't too bad and cheaper than Midway

Remington AccuTip Bullets 264 Cal 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain Boat

My uncle refuses to shoot handloads, and couldn't find any ammo for his .30-06. He found one box of the Remington Accutips. They don't fly right or function good at all. He lost a 10pt buck this because they don't work right or fly right...Trust me, I had to help him track it for 1/2 an afternoon... He also missed a coyote @ 75 yards with a gun that has been sighted in for YEARS, and never been out of zero.

You couldn't give me a crate of them things...

My uncle refuses to shoot handloads, and couldn't find any ammo for his .30-06. He found one box of the Remington Accutips. They don't fly right or function good at all. He lost a 10pt buck this because they don't work right or fly right...Trust me, I had to help him track it for 1/2 an afternoon... He also missed a coyote @ 75 yards with a gun that has been sighted in for YEARS, and never been out of zero.

You couldn't give me a crate of them things...
If he didn't sight in for the new Ammo I think we have the answer as to what was wrong.

I don't know this for certain but I'm pretty sure the Accutip is just a Swift Sirocco made for Remington by Swift.

If he didn't sight in for the new Ammo I think we have the answer as to what was wrong.

I don't know this for certain but I'm pretty sure the Accutip is just a Swift Sirocco made for Remington by Swift.

We did check his gun before, and it was on @ around 75 yards (we stepped it off).

That was not the issue.

It was the fact that they didn't function right once they hit the deer. We must have trailed him for well over a mile, and still came up empty, and I can track anything. He's killed alot of deer, so buck-fever wasn't an issue. And checked zero afterwards and it was still on.

I shot a box of the 140's in my 6.5-284 trying to find a decent load. This rifle normally shoots everything under 1/2", not the Accu-Tips. I tried H4350/BR2's (Vel:2877,ES:2.74,SD:1.41,Acc:.9365") and RL22/BR2's (Vel:2884,ES:12.38,SD:6.40,Acc:1.035"). I only ran them about 28-2900fps but struggled to keep them under 1MOA. Good enuf for some, I suppose, but pretty much a waste of my time and barrel life.
Speaking of the Scirocco, probably the biggest buck I ever lost, I was shooting these. They were the first generation bullets, not the Scirocco II's. The buck ran by me from right to left and stopped at approx 75-100yds, quartering away, and looked back. I was shooting the Rem700P in 7mmRM from a solid rest, and placed the crosshairs on the last rib and low (3.2" high at 100yds). The bullet struck with authority and I heard the "tha-wop", the buck stumbled sideways at the shot but recovered quickly and ran like a scalded dog. I looked him for about 3-4 hours on two consecutive days. Nothing!
A local guy, I trust, saw him about a week later, chasing does and seemingly healthy! Never have figured that one out. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.