26 Nosler????? !!!!!

Viking- no worries brother, I hear you. There aren't many wildcat's that I can think of that outrun the Nosler, it is to the point of diminishing returns. From the top of my head the 6.5 Allen Mag & 6.5STW are two that might be able to squeeze a little more. My interest in the Nosler comes from the reloaders side where I can utilize factory brass for a very high performance 6.5 that will function very well though a standard S/A magazine. From a ease of use standpoint, there isn't a wildcat anywhere (that comes to mind) that can be used more time efficiently. Whether it's worth it or not, is up to the individual.

Mud- Easy on the religion comments, that's a no-no here; & no, i'm not a mormon. At this time, we only have info that one (1) barrel went south at 400 rounds. Kirby's AM lasts longer than that & it holds as much or MORE powder. That simply is not enough evident to conclude the expected life of this caliber. Is it going to last 1k? Probably not, but as of right now, no one seems to know.

t
Fixed it...Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't trying to step on any toes, I just thought it was too perfect of a reference not to use. LOL

Still waiting for this "fad" to die. Atleast with the wsm there was a need for such a case. I just dont understand this one at all. As a handloader i just dont see ANY benefit with this round. If i were a non reloader or commercial buyer Id seriously look at another caliber because barrel life and limited manufacturers. From what ive seen the brass is **** expensive and for the nonhandloader im sure the ammo will be expensive as well. Just not very sure what perks this caliber has to offer.
We're all grownups here and we know what we're getting into and we all have our reasons as to why.

No one is going to force you to buy one so how about giving it a rest.

We're all grownups here and we know what we're getting into and we all have our reasons as to why.

No one is going to force you to buy one so how about giving it a rest.

Easy old man, im just trying to learn about the case and why it has gained so much popularity over a short amount of time. We all know you like the stw case and the speed it brings with it. Just trying to find out why this page has so many replies and so much interest. I thought maybe I was missing. Not meaning to be an annoyance to you. By ll means educate me!

"The .26 Nosler has a short neck and isn't even being offered with 156-160 grain bullets, which would seem to be the natural choice for such large case capacity."- Chuck Hawks

It looks as though Chuck's thought process (in this regard anyway) is dead on my own thought process. The 140's & above are where the 26 is going to come into it's own....

BTW.... The zero & drop calculation made me shake my head. 4" high @ 100... 5.5" High at 250 to get that magical 415yd MPBR.... not what I would call a good idea.

t

"The .26 Nosler has a short neck and isn't even being offered with 156-160 grain bullets, which would seem to be the natural choice for such large case capacity."- Chuck Hawks

It looks as though Chuck's thought process (in this regard anyway) is dead on my own thought process. The 140's & above are where the 26 is going to come into it's own....

BTW.... The zero & drop calculation made me shake my head. 4" high @ 100... 5.5" High at 250 to get that magical 415yd MPBR.... not what I would call a good idea.

t

I did the exact same thing. He is allll about the pbr! He is an old school hunter and hes got some old school methods haha

I did the exact same thing. He is allll about the pbr! He is an old school hunter and hes got some old school methods haha

It wasn't Chuck's idea... Nosler has been advocating the whole "Flat to 415" crap... 100yd zero & dial seems a little (read lot) better/easier/precise.

t

vikingsniper

Look no further. Outlaw6.0 summed it up as to why many could be interested in the 26 Nosler when he said:

"My interest in the Nosler comes from the reloaders side where I can utilize factory brass for a very high performance 6.5 that will function very well though a standard S/A magazine. From a ease of use standpoint, there isn't a wildcat anywhere (that comes to mind) that can be used more time efficiently."

I have a couple of additional reasons for building a 26 Nosler;

One - the first deer rifle I got to use back when I was 10 years old was a 257 Roberts necked up to 6.5mm. That was a deer killing machine. I've appreciated 6.5mms for deer sized game ever since.

Two - I don't have to run the 140s at 3,300 fps. I can back them off to whatever suits my purpose BUT if it suits my purpose to run them fast I can. My 260 Rem will never even get to visit that neighborhood.

Three - I prefer Nosler brass (via Norma). You don't have to mess with it and it lasts. (I will admit that the 26 Nosler - as well as the 338 RUM - being sold with only 25 pieces in the box for $66 are painfully expensive from Nosler. That probably has something to do with lot sizes versus tooling costs and may get better if the 26 becomes popular.)

vikingsniper

Look no further. Outlaw6.0 summed it up as to why many could be interested in the 26 Nosler when he said:

"My interest in the Nosler comes from the reloaders side where I can utilize factory brass for a very high performance 6.5 that will function very well though a standard S/A magazine. From a ease of use standpoint, there isn't a wildcat anywhere (that comes to mind) that can be used more time efficiently."

One - the first deer rifle I got to use back when I was 10 years old was a 257 Roberts necked up to 6.5mm. That was a deer killing machine. I've appreciated 6.5mms for deer sized game ever since.

Two - I don't have to run the 140s at 3,300 fps. I can back them off to whatever suits my purpose BUT if it suits my purpose to run them fast I can. My 260 Rem will never even get to visit that neighborhood.

Three - I prefer Nosler brass (via Norma). You don't have to mess with it and it lasts. (I will admit that the 26 Nosler - as well as the 338 RUM - being sold with only 25 pieces in the box for $66 are painfully expensive from Nosler. That probably has something to do with lot sizes versus tooling costs and may get better if the 26 becomes popular.)
The 7mm STW is VERY popular, compared to many years ago...And 25 pieces of that will still cost you $75.00! Don't think that for a second if they can squeeze $66 out of your pocket for 25 pieces of brass now, that they won't keep the price the same later on.

That's why I stock up on Nosler when I find it on sale...

t
It works great if you are limiting your shots to 500yds and under like 99% of hunters.

Since most of my shooting is quick stuff under 600yds I always keep my scopes set for 350yds at least on anything I'm carrying in the truck for varmints or during deer season.

It's very effective.

vikingsniper

Yep. There has always been a mystique about the 6.5's that has kept them alive while dozens of "bigger and badder calibers" have come on the market and while there have been a number of wildcats that get similar performance this is the first factory offering that attempted to give us a top velocity 6.5.

It will be like the 7mm STW and always have a following I think and like anything else the brass and loaded ammo will come down in cost as the demand grows.

The 130-140 class bullets are the most popular for 6.5's so that too was the logical starting point for the factory ammo.

I'll buy a couple of hundred rounds, fireform it to the two chambers of the two different rifles I'm building (one light carry and one heavy) and by the time I've gotten all the mileage I'm going to get out of that initial buy the cost will most likely have already come down on the factory brass.

Once they are dialed in I doubt I'll ever put 200rds a year through either of them anyhow.

It works great if you are limiting your shots to 500yds and under like 99% of hunters.

Since most of my shooting is quick stuff under 600yds I always keep my scopes set for 350yds at least on anything I'm carrying in the truck for varmints or during deer season.

It's very effective.

Different strokes my friend :cool:. For where & how I hunt it offers little to no advantage; we still glass & range then decide whether or not the fuzzy wuzzy is something we want to harvest. The extra 10seconds to dial is not a deal breaker again, for how I roll. I totally understand how different philosophies are from hunter to hunter, please don't think I'm taking a shot at you brother; I most certainly am not :)

I'm eagerly awaiting the first report of the 160 Matrix in the 26 Nosler....

For a fast stepping predator hunter (under 500 as you stated) zeroing at 350 isn't a bad idea at all.

t

Different strokes my friend :cool:. For where & how I hunt it offers little to no advantage; we still glass & range then decide whether or not the fuzzy wuzzy is something we want to harvest. The extra 10seconds to dial is not a deal breaker again, for how I roll. I totally understand how different philosophies are from hunter to hunter, please don't think I'm taking a shot at you brother; I most certainly am not :)

I'm eagerly awaiting the first report of the 160 Matrix in the 26 Nosler....

For a fast stepping predator hunter (under 500 as you stated) zeroing at 350 isn't a bad idea at all.

t

I usually establish a 100 yard zero and learn my "holds" out to 300 yards. If there is a critter in my neck of the woods that knows where I am past those ranges...im to blame! Not a spot and stalk guy.

With my 264WM and JLK 130gr VLD at 3249 fps zero at 350 yards has it +3.5 @100yd. +5.2 @ 200yd, +2.8 at 300yd, -4.1 @ 400yd, -15.8 @ 500yd and -33.1 @ 600yd these are all + or - inch values.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.