26 Nosler problems

JoshJames

he guys having a problem with a Browning hell's canyon LR in 26 Nosler. Hope y'all can help. It sucks lol, I can't get the gun to shoot anything tighter than about a 2.5 inch group. The 128 grain bullets were even worse over 4 inches. I'm thinking the 1-7 twist is just to fast for a 128 grain bullet going 3400 FPS. Has anybody else had this problem. The 140 and 142 shot the best, but factory ammo is so limited is this new cartridge

Do you handload? If so I would go to one of the copper mono's. I found the 127LRX shot the best in mine.

The 129lrab shoots like poop in mine, several other cup and core bullets didnt like being pushed hard. If I backed them off a bit speed wise I would get better groups.

I doubt the fast twist is the limiting factor. If you don't reload, and don't have a factory load that perform, check some of the custom loafers such as Hammer bullets.

That's a fast twist, especially for that velocity. Try slowing the velocity down, or jump to the new 153, 150, 156 bullets from Hornady, Sierra and Berger.

Did you try calling Browning? No! Well I just did for you.:D
The tech said that if it were shooting 2.5-4" groups you should send it in for them to look at. He said to expect it to shoot factory ammo under 1.5" @ 100. Though handloading ammo will not void a warranty so to speak, he recommend you sending it in before waisting any more money on it. He said they only test them with factory ammo and they have found 140 Accubonds to generally shoot the best.

Did you try calling Browning? No! Well I just did for you.:D
The tech said that if it were shooting 2.5-4" groups you should send it in for them to look at. He said to expect it to shoot factory ammo under 1.5" @ 100. Though handloading ammo will not void a warranty so to speak, he recommend you sending it in before waisting any more money on it. He said they only test them with factory ammo and they have found 140 Accubonds to generally shoot the best.
This was my first thought and what I'd recommend. Way too many unknown variables to just start blaming the rifle.

That twist in a 26 Nosler would do well with the heaviest of 6.5 bullets! I'm shooting a 6.5WSM with 7 twist, previous owner had no luck with 140s, I am shooting half MOA at 600yrds with the heaviest of 6.5mm bullets.

BT

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.