26 Nosler????? !!!!!

I started at 70 gr Retumbo and once I found the most accurate seating depth, I increased powder charges until I got to 79 grains.....no pressure signs and 3380 fps is above my expectations for the 140 VLD, so I settled on that load!
stx,

Thanks for your data. I may look into Retumbo as having a little trouble finding any US 859 or 20N29 nearby and I have plenty of Retumbo. Your results speak for themselves, so hope to work up to similar success.

Also planning on using the Berger EH 140 gr. But first need to get my rifle built (26" CA barrel, blueprinted SS Rem700 action, Wyatt Detmag, MCS-T EH stock...trying to keep the weight down).

Are you by any chance running through a suppressor?

stx,

Thanks for your data. I may look into Retumbo as having a little trouble finding any US 859 or 20N29 nearby and I have plenty of Retumbo. Your results speak for themselves, so hope to work up to similar success.

Also planning on using the Berger EH 140 gr. But first need to get my rifle built (26" CA barrel, blueprinted SS Rem700 action, Wyatt Detmag, MCS-T EH stock...trying to keep the weight down).

Are you by any chance running through a suppressor?

I bought several pounds of US869 and had planned to work up my loads with it but after reading so much about it being very temp sensitive and varying so much from lot to lot, I decided to stick with Retumbo....I still may try the US869 but now that I have a good load with the 140 VLD, I really don't want to waste any bbl life experimenting! I already have another load worked up.....Barnes 127 gr LRXs @ 3360 fps with 74 gr Retumbo at .050 off the lands shooting right at 1/2 MOA.....all total I've fired 157 rounds through the bbl. With these 2 loads and firing 20-30 rounds per year, this bbl should last me a long time! I had this rifle built for hunting....I have plenty others to play with, including long range!

No suppressor just a muzzle brake.

Attachments

• IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 121
If you get a 26 Nosler under .75MOA and a decent ES I would quit looking for a load right there. Barrel life isn't a big selling point for the 26 lol.

Hey Stx...
Curious about your .070 off lands with the 140 Bergers...what might your coal be....
Starting some loads at 70gr...and can't believe how much bullet goes down that case....
Throat of rifle measures 3.339"....so .070 would be 3.269"... with the bullets being so elongated are you measuring to the ogive....
Thanks

Stx...another question to you....I can't find anywhere on Bergers site about which primer they set their cartridges up with....any clues...what might you be using also...
Thanks

Hey Stx...
Curious about your .070 off lands with the 140 Bergers...what might your coal be....
Starting some loads at 70gr...and can't believe how much bullet goes down that case....
Throat of rifle measures 3.339"....so .070 would be 3.269"... with the bullets being so elongated are you measuring to the ogive....
Thanks

I understand where you're coming from.....I expected to find a load somewhere between .010-.030 off the lands. I used Berger's recommended procedure of 6 loads for two 3 round groups at each of: .010, .040, .090., and .130 from the lands. I was getting very frustrated until I found the .070 load.

Yes, of course, measuring to the ogive. COAL IS 3.400"....see pics attached. I use a dial caliper when loading but took pics with digital so they'd be easier to see.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 154
Wow....at least I am in the ballpark...
There surely is a huge difference in bullet lenghts..Bergers vs AB. & LRAB...
Have to really slow down and make myself think about it a half dozen times before seating any bullets.....thought I we seeing weird things....but that is what the measurements
tell me..and I go by the measurements...
Thanks...

I settled on a load of 75.5 Retumbo with a Berger 140 VLD, BTO is 2.825 and my COAL is 3.478. Averaged 3361fps, this will shoot 1/2 moa at hundred for me with 5 shot groups. Rifle is a Browning X Bolt western hunter 26" barrel

You boys are making me envious....I live in southeast Idaho and nearest public range is an hours drive thru icey roads..and supposedly we are going to get a little weather dumped on us the next couple of days...and being we are only about 20 degrees here at home I bet the range is zero or close to it....
I just dont have a place close enough without ice and snow to go shoot....
I have rounds ready for the occassion....and will drag along my mzldr for cooling time exercises....300yd target with the mzldr is fun to plink at....
makes me think of my childhood days....
chasing birds with the bb guns....knowing that I am not going to get everyone of those birds...but I bet I get feathers from darn near everyone....
Really appreciate the information MASH.....
Thanks

You boys are making me envious....I live in southeast Idaho and nearest public range is an hours drive thru icey roads..and supposedly we are going to get a little weather dumped on us the next couple of days...and being we are only about 20 degrees here at home I bet the range is zero or close to it....
I just dont have a place close enough without ice and snow to go shoot....
I have rounds ready for the occassion....and will drag along my mzldr for cooling time exercises....300yd target with the mzldr is fun to plink at....
makes me think of my childhood days....
chasing birds with the bb guns....knowing that I am not going to get everyone of those birds...but I bet I get feathers from darn near everyone....
Really appreciate the information MASH.....
Thanks
Idaho is still about 2/3 public land isn't it? Just about anywhere the public land is open to hunting you can shoot so can't you just set up your own range for the day when you get the urge?

Yeah...I would say that there is lot of area that a person can set up to shoot....
Alot of areas that i have shot at are now closed to access to protect migrating critters...
Lots of deer down lower due to the snow levels in the hills...
Gotta remember that any or most of lands along roads are going to be private properties...so a person has to know exactly where they can shoot to not tickoff land owners...or get cited for shooting to close to migration herds....
I unfortunately live right about the middle of an area that means at least an hours drive east or west....south puts me into utah....north into an Indian reservation....
And looking out the window right now shows me that other than really cold outside that it is snowing just 100 feet above our house....do have a gunsmith up north of me by I dont want to be a nuisance and shoot there all the time....besides his place is about 300' higher in elevation than ours....I do have a shooting table, a target bracket and bags....sometimes I shoot off the tailgate also....
I just try not to be a burden anywhere I shoot....I like to use it as a relaxation therapy....
The biggest worry I want when I am shooting is learning the breaking point of the trigger....
And that I am expected home in time for dinner...

Yeah...I would say that there is lot of area that a person can set up to shoot....
Alot of areas that i have shot at are now closed to access to protect migrating critters...
Lots of deer down lower due to the snow levels in the hills...
Gotta remember that any or most of lands along roads are going to be private properties...so a person has to know exactly where they can shoot to not tickoff land owners...or get cited for shooting to close to migration herds....
I unfortunately live right about the middle of an area that means at least an hours drive east or west....south puts me into utah....north into an Indian reservation....
And looking out the window right now shows me that other than really cold outside that it is snowing just 100 feet above our house....do have a gunsmith up north of me by I dont want to be a nuisance and shoot there all the time....besides his place is about 300' higher in elevation than ours....I do have a shooting table, a target bracket and bags....sometimes I shoot off the tailgate also....
I just try not to be a burden anywhere I shoot....I like to use it as a relaxation therapy....
The biggest worry I want when I am shooting is learning the breaking point of the trigger....
And that I am expected home in time for dinner...
I can understand all that. I have a lot of dog customers in Idaho, primarily chukar hunters and I've spent a good bit of time over the years hunting and training with them so I've seen a lot of eastern, southern, and SW Idaho. If you're around Boise I can easily imagine your options being fewer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.