26 Nosler ????

FROM NOSLER:

"The case capacity of the 26 Nosler is 93 grains of water. This was measured with a 130gr AccuBond seated to max OAL (3.340"). "

I take it this means the capacity was measured to the base of the seated bullet. So the capacity measured to "empty" case mouth is substantially more.

Just weighed three unfired 300 Dakota cases. Average H2O weight to top of mouth was 101. Average weight to just below neck was 92. So I'm guessing the difference between the 300 Dakota and 26 Nosler is almost nill.

I'll stick with my 264WM I have pushed the Woodleigh 160gr PPSN to a 3 shot average of 3083 fps which is plenty good for moose. The 3 readings were 3052fps, 3088fps and 3108fps. Plenty of energy at 500 yards using 3083fps energy is 1766.

It sounds a lot like a 6.5STW in a shorter package. I would bet the capacity is really close. That would mean a 7mm version would be nearly identical to a 7STW, a .30 cal version would be almost identical to a .300 Weatherby/.30-8mm Mag, and a .338 version would be nearly identical to a .340 Weatherby.

A couple months ago, I measured a new unfired unsized 7mm STW case. It held 96 gr of water filled to the brim.

I see Midway lists brass and ammo as "coming soon". $66.00 for 25 pieces of brass or 20 rounds of ammo for the same price.
We'll see if those prices hold true.

Chris

I see Midway lists brass and ammo as "coming soon". $66.00 for 25 pieces of brass or 20 rounds of ammo for the same price.
We'll see if those prices hold true.

Chris

That is a common price for Nosler brass in a number cartridges, 7 SAUM, 7 STW, 338 Lapua and a few others. That works out to over $2.60 per case. No thanks...

Last edited:
Sad but true. I'm hoping some of the more realistic brass manufacturers start producing this.

Chris

Since Norma makes the Nosler brass it's possible they might at some point. They did just start making 7 SAUM brass for a lot better price than Nosler. But I'm guessing that wouldn't be for a while until they think it's woth the investment risk. This cartridge is going to be a niche offering. They do now offer brass in almost all the cartridges that Nosler does. But in the mean time, I am not buying any reamer in 26 Nosler if the only brass available costs $2.60/case and is worth about half that... and I'm certainly not buying any 9 twist factory (Nosler) chambered rifle.

I wouldn't buy a 9 twist either, went with an 8 twist instead. I think I might pick up 1 box of ammo though. That will give me enough rounds to break in the barrel before pulling it to get it nitrided, plus I"ll have the 20 pcs of brass to play with afterwards.

Completion date is still a long ways out yet so we'll see what happens by then. If I absolutely have to I'll pony up for 100 cases, that should last a long time for a hunting rifle. I'll just have to pretend its Lapua brass so I don't feel so bad about the cost.

Chris

I would consider $2.60 cent brass for a hunting rifle an incidental expense. I spend more than that for peanuts and give half of them away.

I would consider $2.60 cent brass for a hunting rifle an incidental expense. I spend more than that for peanuts and give half of them away.

Darn valid point. If I step back and total up the price of the build, rings, mounts, optics, and all the other costs associated with a hunt that $2.60 don't look so bad:rolleyes:

Chris

If it were worth it I would be glad to pay it but I detest being gouged. Nosler brass is comparable to Norma and Norma is a lot cheaper and may be more durable. Nosler is marketing the cool factor and doing a fairly good job cashing in on it. I'm not biting... I like the cartridge but I'll do it a different way with better brass at a better price

some more case dimensions........

Attachments

• 26 Nosler-b.JPG
    26 Nosler-b.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 53
26 Nosler reamer print

Attachments

• 26Nosler-a_zps5861b79b.jpg
    26Nosler-a_zps5861b79b.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.