26 nosler

"There is not that much difference in ballistics between the 260 improved and the .264 mag."
You're kidding right?

If you put a 120gr 22 cal on an electronic rail gun you can get to mach 5 pretty easy. Targets smaller than a Zipcode are a little hard to hit though.

I am not the expert here by any means. I just go out and shoot and remember what happened. It has been my experience that high BC's deliver at long range. Smaller calibers do not easily reach high BC"s. An average 50cal is G1=1. 375 cal will reach G1-1 in a few years. 7mm barely break G1=0.7.

If you want it flat to 400 yards the 22-250 has done that for 80 years.

I am not opposed to the 26 Nosler and in fact find it's ballistics very attractive. But just shooting flat is not a new thing, especially at only 400 yards. Pun intended

KB

+1 if you plug the numbers into a ballistics program, the .22-250 and the .26 Nosler have very similar drops out to 400yds. I don't understand this whole "shooting flat" craze Nosler is trying to sell us. In today's age, we have rangefinders, target turrets, BDC reticles, ballistic calculators, and many other advances that allow us to make quick adjustments in the field to eliminate the worry of not shooting "flat". Personally the .26 Nosler doesn't really impress me, seems to much of a barrel burner and way to overbore! If and when I decide to eventually get a 6.5mm it'll be a toss up between a 6.5-06, 6.5 Remington Mag, or the .264 Winchester. All of them do what I want ballistics wise, and they are great long range deer cartridges, so what else do I need?

+1 if you plug the numbers into a ballistics program, the .22-250 and the .26 Nosler have very similar drops out to 400yds. I don't understand this whole "shooting flat" craze Nosler is trying to sell us. In today's age, we have rangefinders, target turrets, BDC reticles, ballistic calculators, and many other advances that allow us to make quick adjustments in the field to eliminate the worry of not shooting "flat". Personally the .26 Nosler doesn't really impress me, seems to much of a barrel burner and way to overbore! If and when I decide to eventually get a 6.5mm it'll be a toss up between a 6.5-06, 6.5 Remington Mag, or the .264 Winchester. All of them do what I want ballistics wise, and they are great long range deer cartridges, so what else do I need?

++1 jud96,
I have been reading posts here for the last 3 weeks trying to figure out what 6.5 to build. I have a magnum action savage that I was going to build a 26 nosler, than realized did I really want to dump that much powder into each case. If I can find enough brass I think I am going with the 6.5 Rem mag. I also just picked up a interarms mark X in an 06 and could also do 6.5-06 Ackley. For me either one of these will be plenty! Decisions, decisions!!

++1 jud96,
I have been reading posts here for the last 3 weeks trying to figure out what 6.5 to build. I have a magnum action savage that I was going to build a 26 nosler, than realized did I really want to dump that much powder into each case. If I can find enough brass I think I am going with the 6.5 Rem mag. I also just picked up a interarms mark X in an 06 and could also do 6.5-06 Ackley. For me either one of these will be plenty! Decisions, decisions!!

Ya the 6.5s definitely have so many options out there that it is hard to make a decision! If your Savage is a long action than I would take advantage of it and make it a long action magnum, such as a .264 Winchester if you want it to be a 6.5 still. The .30-06 would be awesome as a 6.5-06 Ackley or even the 6.5 Sherman which is a very wicked round based off the .270 Winchester. The final choice will be a hard one for sure.

260 AI Rem is in no way close to a 264. Case water capacity with a Nosler 140gr, from Nosler's #7 Manual, seated is as follows:

6.5 Creedmore= 46.8gr
260 Remington= 47.4gr
6.5X55 Swede= 50.2gr
6.5-284 Norma= 58.4gr
6.5 RemMag=59.3gr
6.5-06 A-Square= 62gr
264 WinMag= 79.6gr!!!

Note that #4-#6 are all pretty close in capacity. The 6.5-284 is an improved 308 case complete with a larger body diameter- no way a 260 AI can come close to that capacity. the 260 and 6.5-284 have the same max COAL. The 264 WinMag represents a 37% increase in powder capacity over that cartridge and the 6.5-284 is larger than a 260 AI! Using a 4/1 ratio of powder charge increase to velocity increase that puts the 264 at least 300fps faster and I would dare say more than that.

I have loaded for the 6.5X68 MS and it has quite a bit larger capacity than the 264 WinMag. Because brass was not available we formed some from full length 300 H&H with the belt reduced to the 6.5X68 head diameter. After fire forming there was a slight step at the belt but we could still get 3 - 4 loads from the cases. Load was H870 surplus filled to the top, unweighed, and a Sierra 120gr SpFB seated. Velocity was chronographed at 3500fps and no pressure at all. That's a case capacity of 85gr of H870. The 26 Nosler is going to do better than that.

But the 260 AI, AT THE SAME PRESSURE as a 264 WinMag is in no way equivalent.

KB

"There is not that much difference in ballistics between the 260 improved and the .264 mag."
You're kidding right?

I was just going by what I was reading in a couple of my reloading manuals(RCBS,Hodgen, Nosler), they are a little older though. they were saying 264mag was shooting 140gr at 3025fps. 260 rem. imp 30Deg. shoulder shooting 142gr at 2997fps. with a 55.5 gr. of water capacity. After looking further I have read people saying they are getting 3100+ with a 140 gr. bullet for the 264mag. I wasn't saying that 264mag wasn't faster, I meant that there wasn't enough of a difference to justify building a 264mag if I already had a 260 rem. Imp.
I also have a lot of brass for the 260 rem. and it is easier to get for me, plus able to neck down 308 and 7mm 08, and neck up .243. I shoot factory 260 rem. through it,which shoots great, and the cases are then fire formed. I actually had a nice .264mag at one time, but never got a chance to use it before I sold it.

Muleystalker, I own 3 264 Win Mags and getting 3200 fps plus with 140 grain bullets with some of the new powders available now is quite easy. The loads listed in most reloading manuals is old and not up to date. My custom 264 built on a Stiller action and 28 inch Broughton barrel is pushing 3300 fps with 68.5 grains of Retumbo and pressure is fine in my rifle, primer pockets stay tight for 9-10 reloads.
I also own a 6.5-06 Improved and my load for it is around 3000 fps with 140 grain Bergers, it will push them a little faster but groups start to open up so I stopped there. Run the ballistics on a 140 grain VLD with a G7 BC of .313 at 3300 fps and you'll see just how flat shooting the 264 really is.

Muleystalker, I own 3 264 Win Mags and getting 3200 fps plus with 140 grain bullets with some of the new powders available now is quite easy. The loads listed in most reloading manuals is old and not up to date. My custom 264 built on a Stiller action and 28 inch Broughton barrel is pushing 3300 fps with 68.5 grains of Retumbo and pressure is fine in my rifle, primer pockets stay tight for 9-10 reloads.
I also own a 6.5-06 Improved and my load for it is around 3000 fps with 140 grain Bergers, it will push them a little faster but groups start to open up so I stopped there. Run the ballistics on a 140 grain VLD with a G7 BC of .313 at 3300 fps and you'll see just how flat shooting the 264 really is.

apexmtnmam, thanks for that reply. That is the kind of useful info I was looking for when I started this tread. The velocities you are getting is quite a bit over what I had been reading on the .264mag, a significant difference. How hard is it to find brass for it these days? Thanks again.

Brass is easy to get for the 264 and if you cant find it then you can use 7mm RM brass and just resize it. The RL 33 Powder is getting good results with the heaver bullets. I have loaded some test shells with the old H570 powder and as soon as I can get to the range I may have good loads 160gr PPSN with 73gr H570 and 130gr VLD with 73gr H570. 71gr H570 has the 160gr PPSN at 3 shot average of 3095fps.

Muleystalker, I think Winchester makes a run of 264 brass once a year, when I see some on the shelf I grab a bag or two. Both Nosler and Norma also make 264 brass and Midway has Nosler 264 brass in stock now.

This will make you lads smile.
Nosler 264WM Brass at Midway UK is £107 for 50!!!!!!!! That is around $166 for 50.

Brit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.