26 Nosler ????

I think this would be an excellent cartridge.... If you neck it up. 7mm would be devastating, it will be a belt less 300 Win Mag.

I don't know how much either case can hold of the top of my head, but I know they are pretty comparable. So that's why I said Win Mag.

It supposedly has 93 gr of usable case space. The 300 WM has 86.4 filled to the mouth and the 300 Dakota 94.8. Deduct about 2-3 gr for neck capacity and it is basically identical to the 300 Dakota which is about 10% more volume than the 300 WM. For comparison, the 300 RUM has about 107 gr capacity to the mouth.

Got the easy part done and ordered a Shaw barrel, now the fun part of trying to get the brass when it becomes available :rolleyes:

FROM NOSLER:

"The case capacity of the 26 Nosler is 93 grains of water. This was measured with a 130gr AccuBond seated to max OAL (3.340"). "

I take it this means the capacity was measured to the base of the seated bullet. So the capacity measured to "empty" case mouth is substantially more.

It sounds a lot like a 6.5STW in a shorter package. I would bet the capacity is really close. That would mean a 7mm version would be nearly identical to a 7STW, a .30 cal version would be almost identical to a .300 Weatherby/.30-8mm Mag, and a .338 version would be nearly identical to a .340 Weatherby.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.