26 nosler

valleysnyper

Hi. I ppsted this in the reloading section which might have been wrong.....sorry. Just got a 26 nosler Im looking to deer hunt in western Wisconsin. Shots can be from 40 yds to about 500, is there a bullet that will hold together at close range ? And work at the longer range also. I was going to reload sierra gamekings in my creedmoor and thought about for this gun too. Seems like from wjat I tead this is too soft for the velocitys the nosler pushes. Maybe a barnes tsx or ttsx through the shoulders would be a good option, anybodys help is appreciated

If it were me I'd run the Barnes bullets or the new Hornady 143 grain ELD-X. The Barnes are tough enough for sure and the ELD-X should be decent if you want a lead and copper bullet.

A word of caution about the 26 Nosler. (I had one and rechambered it to 6.5 WSM.) It is completely off the chain and you have to be careful when picking loads for it because it will detonate on you. Also read the Bob Nolser blurb on this chambering in the new Number 8 Nosler reloading manual. In politically correct terms he tells you be careful or you will have issues. Of all the write-ups in that handbook it is interesting that the President of Nosler picked the 26 Nosler to write about. I think the lawyers were involved in that one. Hopefully that scares you a little bit. Follow loading guidelines and you will be fine.

Thanks for the reply, I am judt learning about reloading and will play on the safe side. Is there any benefit yo the ttsx over the tsx
Better expansion at close tange with velocity ? I am thinking maybe a shot yhrough shoulders ....hitting bone to enhance expansion obviosly would be the way to go. Any one have any exp with the Hornady gmx ? Same thought I am thinking

I wouldn't shoot for the shoulders with that chambering. It is plenty fast enough with enough hydrostatic shock to kill them with a double lung shot. Also I'd stay with the TSX (no plastic tip to melt at 26 Nosler velocities). I'd also stay with Barnes - the original. I use them in my 338 RUM (the 210 gr going 3,200 fps). They hammer pretty much everything with very little meat damage.

Thanks again, would you suggest I stay with 120 gr or move up to heavier ? I know there are better cal for deer, esp at close range, I have a few others, just reslly want. To use this. Am I right in thinking that accubonds are entirely to frangible at high velocity ?

If I'm not mistaken it's this forum where I found several posts about people reporting the new Hornady's in the 26 Nolser were fouling the barrel within 6-7 shots tops. But weren't having issues with other brands. Haven't really read that about other 6.5 cals having issues with the new Honrady's and I'm on a lot of 6.5 Facebook pages (but they aren't pushing em as fast as either). I also have been researching the Nolser heavier though owning a 26 Nosler.

If you want something that will open at lower velocity and still be tough enough when too close for comfort, you can use the Barnes LRX. I am delighted with its performance on game. There is anew bullet on the market that might work for you. It is, in fact, one of our sponsors. Hammer bullets.

I purchased a box of their 6.5mm 125's and they seem to be ok at the range. We need some hunting seasons in the spring to test new bullets.

Go read my reply to your post in the reloading section. 130 Nosler Accubond works for me.

I have had good accuracy with the 120ttsx which would also fit your needs. I shot a whitetail at 14 yards last fall with my first 26 nosler. I get 1/2moa groups with my second 26 nosler, running 0.070" off the lands and IMR 7977 powder.

I would also look at the 140 accubond,I did some testing into wet shredded paper at 100 yards. The accubond perfomed well, good penetration and it retained around 100 grains of weight. The berger 140 basically turned to schrapnel, went in about 2" and showed a massive round wound channel after that. The 120ttsx went in, made a smooth 3" diameter whole about 17" deep, lost two petals which is to be expected. If you hunt mainly under 200 yards I would give serious thought to the barnes bullets. Or the new hammer bullets seen in another thread on here.

I was worried that at close tange the bullet would really just blow up, I have had bad experience eith ballostic tips at close range with a 7mag, also we dont even wanna discuss what It did out of my 264 win mag at 35 yds. Thats why I was thinking a monolithic bullet, thought it would hold togethrr at short range and still be good at longer ranges. The accubond looks like it is still a ballistic tip to me, although I read plenty of good reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.