26 Nosler?

400 is long range to some folks and further than they should ever be shooting. :D
the only way you will ever get better at long range is to practice long range its not reserved to a select group all it takes is practice there is no such thing as "can't"

I think it would be comparible to the .204; you can't shoot it to many times at one time but it would be very fast and accurate. Plus it seems you could just buy a new barrel after like 700 shots if it really burns them up.

I think it would be comparible to the .204; you can't shoot it to many times at one time but it would be very fast and accurate. Plus it seems you could just buy a new barrel after like 700 shots if it really burns them up.
Think of it like this, what is the cost of a new barrel every 700-800 rounds as compared to a trophy of a life time. If the recoil is as light as claimed then most people will be able to shoot it better than the 7Rum or any of the hard kicking magnums associated with long range hunting.lightbulb:D

the only way you will ever get better at long range is to practice long range its not reserved to a select group all it takes is practice there is no such thing as "can't"

Practice? What's this you speak of? You mean I can't just buy a long range flat shooting rifle and be good to go? Bummer. gun)

I added it up and I put a little over 3000 rounds down range this past year. Too bad reloading components are hard to find. Anyway, back to point, to some folks 400 is LR and too far for them to shoot. I wonder if the LR craze/fad is going to create more issues for the general hunting community and having people think LR is easy. I mean in a way it is any more. The tools of the trade certainly make it much easier than it used to be. Does that give people a false since of security?

I don't think its a false sense of security if you have tools to aid in a task I would have never even thought of shooting past 400yrds 10 years ago but with modern components and rifles and practice it sure is alot easier I'm glad to see more people getting into it....

So it'll only last 800 rounds...big deal! That'll be 700+ animals for most guys.

If you want performance you need to give up something and barrel life is usually it.

Does anyone on here understand ballistics? With a BC of close to .600 and 3500 fps, the 10 mph crosswind drift is about 3MOA at 1000 yards. That is really helpful when trying to dope the wind on targets or game. The 129 grain ABLR was designed for long range and the 26 can shoot it with less than .25 moa groups . Run some ballistic charts!

Does anyone on here understand ballistics? With a BC of close to .600 and 3500 fps, the 10 mph crosswind drift is about 3MOA at 1000 yards. That is really helpful when trying to dope the wind on targets or game. The 129 grain ABLR was designed for long range and the 26 can shoot it with less than .25 moa groups . Run some ballistic charts!
And run your own unbiased BC drop tests, too.....The ABLR doesn't have anywhere near the BC they advertise for it. It's been tested and proven by a VERY prominent member on here already.

I have a thought or plan a for something in the 6.5 and I do believe in a few people on this thread, I have been a member for a while and they DO know what they are talking about. I currently have a totally custom 260 rem. absolutely love this gun. it shoots 1/2 moa or better out to 1000 yards, but on my bucket list is to go elk hunting someday or moose. I think I need a little more horsepower then a 260 for these critters. so I was thinking of getting a 6.5 on steroids just to hunt larger game then deer size, I would already have the pills. I shoot the 140 hunting vlds out of 260 and love them a lot, but I also looked at the 6.5 x 284 but that is just not that much more horsepower then my 260. If some of you were in my situation what would you be thinking.

I would look at a 6.5 Sherman. Shoot a 160 Matrix close to 3100 fps and doesn't use a ton of powder. Barrel life is also ok. That is the route I went. My gun is still in the process of being built but I am sure it is going to be awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.