26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
What kind of numbers are you expecting with this 28 nosler? Interesting project.
All my first run of the wildcat rifles are 24" barrels, add 25fps for each inch longer than 24.

Estimates for pressure and velocity have been low in QL but when looking at the QL numbers that match the measured velocity and pressure, dead on. It's 10% so could be lot to lot powder variation in actual shooting.

QL Calculated 56k PSI

Barnes LRX 168, estimated at ~3150
Sierra SMK 168, estimated at ~3200
Sierra SPBT 175, estimated at ~3120
JLK VLD 180, estimated at ~3100
Berger VLD 195, estimated at ~3000

I'm quite sure they can all go faster. They can go slower too:D

Are you using the pressure trace system? I was thinking of buying one and using it in a class project for a science class I teach in the local homeschool cooperative. I thought it would be a good experience for the class to collect data and analyze it.
I don't have quickload and only have apple computers so I don't know if either will work with macs.

Do you recommend the pressure trace, and do you feel you are getting useful, accurate pressure data?

Are you using the pressure trace system? I was thinking of buying one and using it in a class project for a science class I teach in the local homeschool cooperative. I thought it would be a good experience for the class to collect data and analyze it.
I don't have quickload and only have apple computers so I don't know if either will work with macs.

Do you recommend the pressure trace, and do you feel you are getting useful, accurate pressure data?
Yes it is the "Pressure Trace II" system.

QuickLoad will work in the "Windows" environment on the Mac.

I don't have enough time with the PTII for a review or recommendation. As a former 'computer guy', I have a positive initial impression.

Yes, it can work in a Mac. Part of Mac iOS (provided you are up to the current update iOS 10.10 Yosimite), it has a built-in feature called "BootCamp". That will allow you to run PC software on your Mac computer.

I don't know how to use it yet, as I don't have a Macbook....Yet. But I have been looking into getting one when this laptop craps-out. I just replaced the hard drive in my current PC laptop with a new solid state drive, so it should last for years, or until I save up the money to buy a good refurbished Macbook Pro 17" (they quit making them after 2011), or else I would be buying a new one.

Anyway, if you have the most up to date software, then you should be able to run it in BootCamp.

Have plans of building a 28.Will there be a need to use a extended box mag to run the 180 grain VLD?

Have plans of building a 28.Will there be a need to use a extended box mag to run the 180 grain VLD?
Not to the best of my knowledge.

If based on an R700, I'm pretty sure the basic box is ~3.65 capable. A 28-Nosler seated to a very shallow 0.280 of bearing surface in the neck would only be 3.6", plenty of room.

What are the various COAL of the different bullet combinations you are testing, and what is the distance of jump to the lands with those lengths? I'm trying to determine if the 28 Nosler reamer with a 0.182 throat would be a good option for running the 168 grain LR Accubond. The ideal COAL for the 28 Nosler with 168 grain LR Accubond looks to be about 3.570" based on my dummy round.

Does anyone know what kind of veloisity one can get with the 160to168 grain bullets an 175 to 180 grain bullets? I have a 28" Pacnor, 1n9 twist that I will be using. I've got H-1000,Retumbo ,imr4350,IMR 4831,7828. Just asking??..

DT

McWhorter rifles claims 3200 fps with their 28 MCR and the 180 Hybrid. It looks like a straight 28 Nosler. I believe they were using Retumbo. When I get mine built, I would like to see what it will do with R-33.

Does anyone know what kind of veloisity one can get with the 160to168 grain bullets an 175 to 180 grain bullets? I have a 28" Pacnor, 1n9 twist that I will be using. I've got H-1000,Retumbo ,imr4350,IMR 4831,7828. Just asking??..

DT

Rounds loaded. Just waiting for range day.

I don't have my laptop but I think H1000 can be used but IMO not ideal. I can comment better when I get home from work on Wednesday. I won't be shooting until Monday after new year. Range will have lots of people with their new bang sticks having a good time.:D

I went foraging for powder because I'm down to a few ounces of H1000. Did not find any H1000 or RL-33. Found some RL-22 and H50bmg. Got a place to check tomorrow.

Between work, holiday shooters and waiting for a couple strain gauges for the Pressure Trace II. Shooting will be after the 1st.

I'm really excited about this chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.