26 Nosler....140 VLDs vs 143 ELD-Xs

stx

I have a 26 Nosler being built that should be ready within the next few weeks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has hands on experience with the 26 Nosler (or 26 Nosler velocities) with these 2 bullets......especially info on the VLDs performance at close range at these velocities! I've read all I can find but there's not a whole lot of info on the relatively new Nosler cartridge! Rifle will be used for whitetail and possibly mule deer. I'll be loading 127 LRXs, as well, but will be loading one of these others for longer range with the higher BCs than the Barnes Bullets.

Thanks in Advance for your input!

stx,

Most of us have a tendency to illuminate information based on some personal biases. I'm sure that virtually any data collected from testing can be slightly biased if desired.

I'm not going to comment on your desired comparison but I thought that I would pass along a good photographic/data comparison of several 6.5mm bullets as recovered from water media. I've also seen some other information which is counter the photographic evidence shown on a couple of bullet styles.

Med

Enjoy!

stx,

Most of us have a tendency to illuminate information based on some personal biases. I'm sure that virtually any data collected from testing can be slightly biased if desired.

I'm not going to comment on your desired comparison but I thought that I would pass along a good photographic/data comparison of several 6.5mm bullets as recovered from water media. I've also seen some other information which is counter the photographic evidence shown on a couple of bullet styles.

Med

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm still hoping to hear from those with personal experience with these 2 bullets in a 26 Nosler or a cartridge with similar velocities!

I can't give you a lot of info, but can pass on what I have. I shot an antelope at 440 yards with a 140 vld with mv of 3150. The bullet went thru both shoulders an exited with a golf ball sized hole. Lots of organ damage "DRT". A mule deer at 125 yards thru the heart and bullet was intact with about 1/4 of the lead left in the cup and stuck under the hide. "DRT" This surprised me as most of my testing showed the bullet coming unglued completely at that velocity. A mule deer at 50 yards was shot thru the neck missing the bone. It literally blew about a 4 lb. roast off of the front of the neck. One of the ugliest wounds I have seen! Had to finish him off.
I have not taken any game with the eldx yet as they are too new. I have tested them in media, both water and wet clay, and am impressed especially with low velocity expansion, and sufficient retention at high velocity. I have shot these from 1500' to over 3300' in my 6.5 SS. I hope this helps a little......Rich

I've been working load development on the 143 ELD-X for the last couple weekends using Noslers load data for their 140 gr bullet and US869 powder ranges (85 - 88 gr) and can confirm that I've encountered serious tumbling and fouling issues with the ELD-X. Upon researching this further; you can find other posts that confirm issues with the ELD-X above 3000-3100 fps.

This weekend, I'm planning a new ladder test using the same powder (78 - 84.5 gr) per the Hodgdon load data website and another test using Berger 140 gr hybrid target bullets.

I've been working load development on the 143 ELD-X for the last couple weekends using Noslers load data for their 140 gr bullet and US869 powder ranges (85 - 88 gr) and can confirm that I've encountered serious tumbling and fouling issues with the ELD-X. Upon researching this further; you can find other posts that confirm issues with the ELD-X above 3000-3100 fps.

This weekend, I'm planning a new ladder test using the same powder (78 - 84.5 gr) per the Hodgdon load data website and another test using Berger 140 gr hybrid target bullets.

I have noticed copper fouling, but I have fired them over 3300' and have seen .4moa groups at 1100 yards at 3200+, so I don't understand the tumbling....Rich

Great info guys! Just what I'm looking for.....from what I've read, the VLDs coming apart at close range is what I'm really wanting first hand info on.....Thanks!

I've shot quite a little game with the 140 VLD hinting in the 3230 fps range and have been more than pleased, last year I tried to fail one since everyone was having issues it seemed, so I shot a cow elk in the middle of the shoulder, she made it two steps and was dead, heart and lugs destroyed. Tried a soft hit on a muley buck back of lungs high without touching a rib, perfect kill with lung parts hanging out the of side. Ive found them to penetrate quite well and never seen one just blow up. The 143 and 208 Eld are on my dad's shoot list this year so this season will see a lot of info on the Eld's.

I've shot quite a little game with the 140 VLD hinting in the 3230 fps range and have been more than pleased, last year I tried to fail one since everyone was having issues it seemed, so I shot a cow elk in the middle of the shoulder, she made it two steps and was dead, heart and lugs destroyed. Tried a soft hit on a muley buck back of lungs high without touching a rib, perfect kill with lung parts hanging out the of side. Ive found them to penetrate quite well and never seen one just blow up. The 143 and 208 Eld are on my dad's shoot list this year so this season will see a lot of info on the Eld's.

Thanks! This is what I want to hear...

Well, I have had two failures with the VLD's at close range (both under 150 yrds). One a WT doe in the shoulder just slightly qrt'ing away. She did a complete flip in the air, got up and took off leaving a drop every 40 yards or so until she hit the blackberry's and tall grass. Spent three hours until dark and never did find her or any more blood. The 2nd was a nice WT buck broadside just behind the shoulder in the crease. Buck went down. Once we got over to where he went down he had gotten up and left no blood trail. We looked for that buck for two days. We did find him days later after he had managed to go into the next drainage which completely shocked us with such a solid hit.

Compare these to the fact that we have taken over 20 WT deer with Hornady SST's in several calibers all one shot kills and zero lost. I use the VLD's for 400 yards and beyond but use the SST's and Partitions for anything closer these days.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any critters with either one of these yet but I have been shooting booth out of a 6.5-06. What I can tell you that at out of my gun they shoot pretty much identically. They built pressure at the same powdered charges, same velocity, and are equally as accurate.

Looking at the threads of folks that have done some ballistic testing with the EDL x's they seem to look just like a ballistic tip does after impact ( I've shot a bunch of critters with these), 50% retention with the jacket separating from the lead core. At 6.5 06 speeds that not concerning, but in your case a close impact at 26 Nosler speeds that bullet might grenade (just a hunch). On deer size game other than messy and loss of meat its not a big deal, on bigger game could be problems. Any bullet that is going to expand at low velocities is going to be hard to hold together at real high velocity impacts. It will be interesting to hear the reports on EDL X's as this hunting season progresses. hopefully I will have some kill results to add.

I feel that if you are going to shooting game a closer distances with ultra mag type velocity a bonded bullet is better.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.