6.5 143 ELD-X vs Antelope Part Deux

8andbait

Antelope Doe 464 Yards Broadside 143 ELD-X, Wind about 25 mph from left to right, held 4 MOA for wind.
6.5 SAUM MV 3086 FPS, Impact Velocity approx 2520 FPS

Destroyed the shoulder, one lung, the stomach and intestines making a mess out of the abdominal cavity. Off side lung and heart were untouched...broadside hit.

Doe ran about 60-70 yards on three legs then stood for about 20 seconds and fell over dead.

Just as bad if not worse than the 317 yard shot.

You can draw your own conclusions.

IMG_0997_zps5limkhuh.jpg

After shoulder removal this is the entrance wound
IMG_0999_zpsvy3rl0pl.jpg

Close up of entrance wound
IMG_0998_zpsk0rhcflk.jpg

Entrance wound shoulder
IMG_1002_zpsgbw0vulc.jpg

Off side shoulder
IMG_1001_zps9zt48tv4.jpg

Are you intentionally shooting for the shoulder? I keep seeing people driving frangible bullets into the shoulders of game animals and it makes me scratch my head a bit. I would think you would want a bonded bullet of some kind if that is the preferred shot? Or perhaps a Partition or monometal bullet?

Either way, it's useful to see how the new bullets actually perform under real world circumstances. Based on a lot of what I have seen posted here on LRH, my conclusion is that the long range type bullets, of conventional construction, are best suited for the traditional "meat-saver" shot. That seems to be less true of the heavy .30 cals and larger (again, based on what I have seen posted, not personal experience).

Thanks for taking the time to share your results!

Last edited:
This reminds me of when they first hit the market. I called Hornady to ask about impact velocity. The guy told me you have to keep them below 2,500 for impact.

I'm looking at this thinking it looks more like the antelope was hit at more of a quartering to angle. That entrance wound looks a bit back from the shoulder bones, and then you indicate that the stomach and intestines were hit... If the bullet entered in the shoulder bone, then went backwards into stomach and intestines, that sounds like the simplest explanation is the animal was quartering towards the shooter.

Sound like what happen to me but the deer was quatering away at 760 yards. I was shooting my 300 RUM, 220 ELD-X, muzzle velocity is 3025. Shot should of hit about 2125fps I think at that distance. I hit the ribs far back which mine looked like it took out 3 or 4 so ribs with about a racket ball size hole on the entry side. I would of thought the bullet or some of it would of made it through the deer or at least into the other side of the deer but the other side was untouched. One thing I can say is the first loads I made up produced sub MOA groups. Here is a group at 200 yards. These are loaded to fit in the magazine also. I had to go back and watch the hornady video again since they are supposed to have a inner locking ring or device to make them stronger. I would actually like to see what the bullets would do down around 1200fps. Target need to be rotated upward.

IMG_0832.jpg

My cousin shot a doe in PA red tag season with a 140gr ELD Match out of a 6.5-284 going 3025fps at the muzzle. He shot her at 150yds broadside just behind the shoulder. Bullet hit right on the money, she ran 25 yards and piled up. Lots of blood on the ground and a nice 2" exit hole behind the offside shoulder. This was with the Match bullets that do not have the interlock ring inside the jacket and they did a fine job.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If you see my post on the last couple pages of the ELD-X official thread, you'll see why.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.