143 ELD X vs bear...

Santiam338

Lots of discussion about the new ELD X bullets..Water testing,gelatin,accuracy and so on..I have read them all. :D

I now have video proof of the ELD X performance..gun)

250 pound black bear at 430 yards. 260 ai with bullets started at 2950..The first shot was a pass through,the second didn't,but came in down through the back and was not needed..

Nice sized exit without excessive damage..Seemed to work perfectly..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvv...pbybn2igtvge3s&google_view_type#gpluscomments

Nice! That bear didn't pack it very far. I have been impressed with the 143's in my 6.5 SS but have not had a chance at meat yet. I think this dispels the idea that the bullets come apart too easily. Meat will hold a bullet together better than water. Good video..........Rich

Just goes to show you, no lungs, no life !! Congratulations on a nice shot and perfect hit...the bear was very relaxed and his adrenaline level was low and he didn't go far ..beautiful country also !! You are blessed ....

At that distance the velocity would have dropped considerably also, also no shoulder blades were touched, it was a perfect lunghit, maybe he could tell us if it hit a rib bone, doesn't look like it from watching the video, looks like it passed between two ribs, most people don't have a problem far but it's those close range high velocity hits on shoulder bones and big leg boned, anyway, what beautiful coubpntry this gentleman has to hunt, spectacular !

Yip, 2380 would be pretty close..Lots of speculation on the ELD-X performance in the woods and not to much on game yet as it is still early..Just thought I would share what I have so far..Another month and should have some mule deer reports..:D

Yip, 2380 would be pretty close..Lots of speculation on the ELD-X performance in the woods and not to much on game yet as it is still early..Just thought I would share what I have so far..Another month and should have some mule deer reports..:D

Were you able to recover the second bullet?

I remember you building that rifle on another forum. I recall you had a whole stack of Berger VLD bullets, did those not work out? Or are you just experimenting with the Hornady?

I'm asking because I'm not getting the Bergers to shoot in my 280ai.

If you remember right,we had two 260ai's built.One for me and one for Brother Ken.Brother Ken killed the bear..He is using the ELD-X's..I have stayed with the VLD's and they have treated me well..

Ken also switched to the ELD's in his 7 mag,but has since went back the the Berger classics..They have worked better for him in that..

We will be up in the High Cascades in early September chasing mulies both armed with 260's.. One with Bergers and one with Hornady's..A good test..LOL

gun)gun)gun)

Mitch,

We were on very steep ground and had to tie the bear off to keep him from rolling to the bottom..Didn't get all that involved in looking for bullets..It was hard enough just to try and stand to work on the bear...The second shot could have very well made it through,or not..I didn't see a exit,but didn't look all that hard..

Next time on flatter ground, a more in depth review.:D

Very cool :D If I was building a short action vs. long action, I would have done the 260ai vs the 280ai.

Nice to hear some feedback on the ELD X!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.