143 gr ELD-X profle ??

tbrice23

Hornady states this is a secant ogive bullet. I personally don't see it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Also has anyone had problems with seating depth issues or are they as good as Amax in that regard ?

140 VLD vs 143 ELD-X

Attachments

• 20160501_192201.jpg
    20160501_192201.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 307
Hornady states this is a secant ogive bullet. I personally don't see it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Also has anyone had problems with seating depth issues or are they as good as Amax in that regard ?

140 VLD vs 143 ELD-X

I think that they are a secant, but it has a little smoother transition than some. I don't know if you could call it a hybrid or not? They are pretty forgiving as far as seating goes; at least to my experience.....Rich

Thanks Rich.
Maybe Hornady wanted to advertise it as such.

Good to hear that they're shooting good for you. I think I remember a post and a pic you shot, dont remember if it was a SS or regular Sherman.

The bearing surface is a lot longer than the VLDs so I probably won't get as much velocity.
Contacted them yesterday about load data for 264 WM, the reply was so vague its not worth repeating.

Good to hear from you Rich. Thanks.

Thanks Rich.
Maybe Hornady wanted to advertise it as such.

Good to hear that they're shooting good for you. I think I remember a post and a pic you shot, dont remember if it was a SS or regular Sherman.

The bearing surface is a lot longer than the VLDs so I probably won't get as much velocity.
Contacted them yesterday about load data for 264 WM, the reply was so vague its not worth repeating.

Good to hear from you Rich. Thanks.

You might be surprised at the velocity. I shot some at 3302 in my SS.......Rich

Too bad about the boat tail/bearing length they decided to put on the 143. Some available performance appears to be designed out of the bullet.

Too bad about the boat tail/bearing length they decided to put on the 143. Some available performance appears to be designed out of the bullet.

I would say that they lost weight due to the larger cavity in the nose for the plastic tip. They gained that weight back in the base of the bullet.

Steve

I don't know how you can criticize the 143gr ELD-X when it has a higher BC than the Berger 140gr VLDH.

I don't know how you can criticize the 143gr ELD-X when it has a higher BC than the Berger 140gr VLDH.

Exactly what I was thinking, and the BC holds up but I have only shot them to 903 yards so far.

It is a secant ogive. It has an 8 or greater caliber radius on the nose. A tangent usually has less than a 6 caliber radius, and transitions faster.

Comparing the depicted shapes, I would be interested to see empirical data for the two. The VLD has a longer boat tail, improving both drag characteristics and also transonic stability. That long boat tail also reduces bearing surface area, enabling less energy to be lost due to kinetic friction. These two design features are pretty fundamental- not a whole lot of voodoo math required.

The ELD may have a high sectional density, but it appears the designers left out a few 'good ideas' for whatever reason.

I loaded the 143 ELD-X as well as the 140 berger hybrid in my 260 AI. I get more velocity with the ELD-X, 3020 fps with 49 grains of H-4831sc, 49.2 was showing some pressure signs and only gained 10 fps. Best accuracy was 48.6 going 2975. With the 140 Hybrid, I got pressure signs once I got to 2990 with 48.6, and 48.8 going 3000 was too much, leaving a significant extracted mark. My best accuracy was at 47.8, and was still going 2960, and shows zero pressure signs. That is the load I am sticking with for now, mainly because I can't find any more 143 ELD-X pills to play with....

And the expansion should be more consistant than the Berger, I have the Berger & will get the ELD-X when I see it, should be interesting.

I captured a couple of bullets from the wet sand berm from the range today. Impact velocity was about 2820 fps. I can't say for sure this is even relevant to an impact on game at the same velocities.
The one with some core intact weighs 37gr the other one was almost all of the jacket weighs 49gr.
If you look closely you can see the interlock ring on the one that lost its core.

Attachments

• 20160504_165813.jpg
    20160504_165813.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20160504_165836.jpg
    20160504_165836.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 139
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.