26 Nosler....140 VLDs vs 143 ELD-Xs

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any critters with either one of these yet but I have been shooting booth out of a 6.5-06. What I can tell you that at out of my gun they shoot pretty much identically. They built pressure at the same powdered charges, same velocity, and are equally as accurate.

Looking at the threads of folks that have done some ballistic testing with the EDL x's they seem to look just like a ballistic tip does after impact ( I've shot a bunch of critters with these), 50% retention with the jacket separating from the lead core. At 6.5 06 speeds that not concerning, but in your case a close impact at 26 Nosler speeds that bullet might grenade (just a hunch). On deer size game other than messy and loss of meat its not a big deal, on bigger game could be problems. Any bullet that is going to expand at low velocities is going to be hard to hold together at real high velocity impacts. It will be interesting to hear the reports on EDL X's as this hunting season progresses. hopefully I will have some kill results to add.

I feel that if you are going to shooting game a closer distances with ultra mag type velocity a bonded bullet is better.

I agree, that's my concern.....bullet not holding together long enough to reach vitals at 3300-3400+ fps! I know several have said it was fine at 3200+/- but 3400 could be a different story! If I can't push them that fast, then there's no reason to have a 26 Nosler.......I can shoot them at those velocities out of one of my 264 Win Mags! Good to know you're getting good accuracy with them. I'll probably work up loads for both VLDs and ELD-Xs and try them on a few deer and hogs this season to determine which will perform better at 26 Nosler velocities.....I sure hope the VLDs hold together because that's what I really want to shoot out of it. I've always been a Barnes fan for normal ranges but with the "Horsepower" of the 26 Nosler, I'm more interested in the higher BCs for long range!

Thanks!

I found a load with 140 VLDs.... This group was .287" with 77 grains of Retumbo, neck sized Nosler Brass, and WLRM Primers.....@ 3362 fps avg .070" off the lands. Now I'm working on a load with 127 gr LRXs.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 105
I have a 26 Nosler being built that should be ready within the next few weeks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has hands on experience with the 26 Nosler (or 26 Nosler velocities) with these 2 bullets......especially info on the VLDs performance at close range at these velocities! I've read all I can find but there's not a whole lot of info on the relatively new Nosler cartridge! Rifle will be used for whitetail and possibly mule deer. I'll be loading 127 LRXs, as well, but will be loading one of these others for longer range with the higher BCs than the Barnes Bullets.

Thanks in Advance for your input!
The one knock on them at close range is that it is likely youll end up with separating the jacket from the lead occasionally since its a crimped cannelure rather than a bonded bullet design.

With that much energy though whatever you hit is going to be very dead.

Let it ride for 300 yards and beyond and you won't have that problem.

I don't have a pile of info as I have only gotten one deer with my 26 and it was at 14 yards, but my one recomendation is at under 300-350 yards go with a ttsx/lrx or similar. I have shot several (50ish) bullets into my test box at ranges from 100 to 500 yards and the results from thhe berger vld and even the lrab were not that promising up close. I use a rubbermade bin full of soaked shredded paper, which may not mean anything in the real world, but it is consistent and a way to compare bullets to each other.
The vld's perform well once past around 350 yards, at 100 they make a 3-5" deep "wound channel" and all thats left is small schrapnel. The LRAB seemed to hold together over 150 yards, under that I was finding a shallow wound channel and just a tiny base of a bullet maybe 1/8" thick, no shank and basically no lead. Both bullets performed as expected once past that, at 500 they both gave the wound channels you would expect from them.
The 120ttsx at 100 lost its pedals, but made it through 18" of the bin and out the back. At 200 they seemed to hold together and give the expected moderate dia wound channel and deep penetration.

Just an update on my 26 Nosler.....final loads are at 3380 fps. As I stated, I was concerned with the VLDs staying together at this velocity at close range, so I shot a hog this week through both shoulders at 125 yards. Hog didn't move, wiggle or take a breath....DRT! Part of the VLD exited blowing blood 15 ft down the Sendero behind her(see pic.....exit hole showing). So far, so good! I'm extremely pleased with the accuracy, velocity and performance of the 140 VLDs in my 26 Nosler! I know it's going to perform phenomenally at longer ranges and I'm anxious to try it a various distances. Now that I'm through with my guided hunts, I have time to hunt for myself!!

Attachments

• IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.